Nom nom nom - Food Thread

I didn't take any pictures, but my Turkey and Cornbread Dressing w/ Sausage turned out great.

I smoked the turkey and it was the best turkey I've ever had....leftovers are even better.

Dinner: roasted fingerling potatoes, salmon, veggies, and corn

En3xB7nW4AEAW0F.jpg

This didn’t quite come out like I wanted it to, but I’m going to blame it on a lack of pantry herbs/spices and fridge supplies.

I made a tofu, maitake & nameko mushroom fettuccini finished with some runny epoisses cheese. Still tasty, just lacked a bit of depth.

65498209-45B9-4605-B55B-294D0FECDE3F.jpeg

I’ve been looking at those Milk Street add on FB and on the edge of getting a subscription. Seems like I’d get a bit more than my NYT cooking sub. Any thoughts?

I’ve been looking at those Milk Street add on FB and on the edge of getting a subscription. Seems like I’d get a bit more than my NYT cooking sub. Any thoughts?
I have a couple of his books and like them. I’ve been working my way through recipes in the “Fast and Slow” book. I subscribe to America’s Test Kitchen (his old show), I figured it had more “history” and you get access to ATK and Cook’s country recipes. I was thinking of trying NYT, lol.

I have a couple of his books and like them. I’ve been working my way through recipes in the “Fast and Slow” book. I subscribe to America’s Test Kitchen (his old show), I figured it had more “history” and you get access to ATK and Cook’s country recipes. I was thinking of trying NYT, lol.

What I am prinmarily looking for it is to get better results and basic family cooking. NYT Disney have the video element and their recipes can be a little complicated in techniques and amount of ingredients.

fwiw I love NYT Cooking.

What I am prinmarily looking for it is to get better results and basic family cooking. NYT Disney have the video element and their recipes can be a little complicated in techniques and amount of ingredients.
I think with these services it’s good to jump around. I turn the ATK on on and off. It’s great for “classic” recipes. I’ve made so much from them over the years. I was surprised when Kimball left. I think Milk Street is worth a try. The recipes I’ve used from the books are all well documented and you don’t have to scroll though someone’s life story like a blog recipe, haha.

I think milk street would good for family meals. The instant pot recipes have all been easy.

I made the French Onion Mac and cheese from NYT cooking. It was on the regular NYT in a “carb overload” feature. It was divine.
View attachment 78450
I find their app really easy to use compared to something like Epicurious, and their in-house talent (especially Melissa Clark) is top-notch. It's not the cheapest service but I've rarely made a stinker from recipes I've found there.

So I’m going to roast some chicken today 350 for about 115 minutes. Under the arch I’m gonna roast the potatoes. I’m the past if I roast them together the potatoes get burnt. When should I put them in?

So I’m going to roast some chicken today 350 for about 115 minutes. Under the arch I’m gonna roast the potatoes. I’m the past if I roast them together the potatoes get burnt. When should I put them in?
At 350 they could probably use 45-60 minutes.

I have been doing Hello Fresh for the last couple weeks after getting a $130 gift card.

The food is really good and I'm making things I don't usually make for meals. Living on my own I tend to make simple meals and then have left overs of the same meal the next few days all the time. It get's boring. I'm loving being able to change it up more often. Granted I still have left overs because the minimum order is 2 servings per meal, but I change it up so I'm not having it 2 nights in a row. The meals are also more complex / gourmet than what I make on my own. I tend to grill a meat or bake a fish and have rice and a veggie over and over again and not explore different recipes that require many different ingredients.

So far it's a success though expensive. I'll probably do it for a little while and save the recipes to make the stuff I really loved on my own. Just need to figure out where I can buy stuff like southwest seasoning and southwest paste. Never have seen those in the local grocery stores.

If anyone is interested in trying out Hello Fresh, they are running a promotion where current members can share their code which gives people $70 of their first box. My code is below if anyone wants to try it.

I have been doing Hello Fresh for the last couple weeks after getting a $130 gift card.

The food is really good and I'm making things I don't usually make for meals. Living on my own I tend to make simple meals and then have left overs of the same meal the next few days all the time. It get's boring. I'm loving being able to change it up more often. Granted I still have left overs because the minimum order is 2 servings per meal, but I change it up so I'm not having it 2 nights in a row. The meals are also more complex / gourmet than what I make on my own. I tend to grill a meat or bake a fish and have rice and a veggie over and over again and not explore different recipes that require many different ingredients.

So far it's a success though expensive. I'll probably do it for a little while and save the recipes to make the stuff I really loved on my own. Just need to figure out where I can buy stuff like southwest seasoning and southwest paste. Never have seen those in the local grocery stores.

If anyone is interested in trying out Hello Fresh, they are running a promotion where current members can share their code which gives people $70 of their first box. My code is below if anyone wants to try it.

I have a feeling that something like "Southwest Spice" is just referring to their own custom spice blend, but I bet you can find similar pre-made blends at the store if your palate isn't quite ready to make them up on your own.

do you think their Southwest seasonings has any of the following flavors- chili powder, garlic, cumin, or salt? maybe oregano? try a good Adobo blend. if you are enjoying branching out and want to repeat the recipes on your own, follow the general formula and method but experiment with spices. pick up a few blends of different profiles and try them out to figure out what you love.

you can turn your favorite blends into a paste by blending them with anything from water and garlic cloves, to a can of tomato paste or olive oil- depends on the application.

The wife isn't around tonight so I went real decadent with it. Reverse seared NY strip, charred asparagus, some dressed baby arugula for a little bite, and served with a béarnaise that I finally made either not broken or too thick. Paired with a saison blended with pinot noir juice.

I'll keep the béarnaise warm with the sous vide and probably use some leftovers for a benedict or omelette tomorrow.

IMG_20201204_185945.jpg

Back