Nom nom nom - Food Thread

trying Kenji’s chicken verde enchiladas, but could not locate any tomatillos, so making due with a store-bought salsa verde goosed with a little reserved liquid from the sous vide pulled pork I made a couple weeks back. We’ll see how this improvisation turns out.

meanwhile, had some honey habanero moonshine with coke and now working on a gin and tonic, so at the very least I’m gonna be drunk enough to enjoy whatever comes out of the oven.

I've recently been trying to sample more Scandinavian food in an effort to not only broaden my horizons but also prepare for a future trip to Norway. So this morning I made a gallant attempt at Smorrebrod, which is basically just really dense rye bread with some sort of fish, cheese, or butter on it. Sounds simple right? Its delicious! I used some Norwegian pickled herring, avocado, micro greens, and unsalted german butter (the closest approximation I could find). I could eat this stuff all day.

Unfortunately, I did not snap a pic before diving in but I shall remedy that for tomorrow's breakfast :)

I've recently been trying to sample more Scandinavian food in an effort to not only broaden my horizons but also prepare for a future trip to Norway. So this morning I made a gallant attempt at Smorrebrod, which is basically just really dense rye bread with some sort of fish, cheese, or butter on it. Sounds simple right? Its delicious! I used some Norwegian pickled herring, avocado, micro greens, and unsalted german butter (the closest approximation I could find). I could eat this stuff all day.

Unfortunately, I did not snap a pic before diving in but I shall remedy that for tomorrow's breakfast :)
Sounds delicious - maybe get some Hákarl to put on that bread

Last edited:
future meal stuffs:
IMG_8045.jpg
today is the start of the mid-summer season of a local CSA I joined. I promised myself back in March to shop independent, local, minority-owned, woman-owned, or some combo of whenever possible.

finally joined a farm started by people a few neighborhoods over to get my vegetables, eggs, bread, and little goodies! you sign up based on preferences and household size in advance, so that they grow *for* you each season to cut down on waste. looking forward to making dishes with stuff that is in-season and grown less than 15 miles from my apartment! I still use my local grocery chain for pantry and household goods, and the farmer's market for canned goods and other specialty items, but this will be a cool addition to my food supply.

Back