Nom nom nom - Food Thread

@DMacanT

Can I please get that recipe.
Sorry, Unfortunately there is none, basically a kind of throw it together dish/es

Ingredients used

Chicken Stock
Fresh Ginger
Fresh Chili
Garlic - smashed/minced
Scallions
Carrots - Thinly sliced
Bok Choi - sliced
Dark & Light Soy Sauce
Hoo Sin Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Five Spice
Sesame seeds and Oil
Rice Vinegar
Mirin
Noodles
Chicken (marinated. In some of the above and then Bbq and put on top)

Sriracha of your choice to season - I used a added ginger variety.

Last edited:
Sorry, Unfortunately there is none, basically a could of throw it together dish/es

Ingredients used

Chicken Stock
Fresh Ginger
Fresh Chili
Scallions
Carrots - Thinly sliced
Bok Choi - sliced
DArk & Light Soy Sauce
Hoo Sin Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Five Spice
Sesame seeds and Oil
Rice Vinegar
Mirin
Noodles
Chicken (marinated. In some of the above and then Bbq and put on top)

Sriracha of your choice to season - I used a added ginger variety.

Where do you get your noodles / what kind?

For Ramen noodles, usually I can't find those locally. Most recipes have a note to buy Top Ramen, use the noodles, discard the spice package.

Where do you get your noodles / what kind?

For Ramen noodles, usually I can't find those locally. Most recipes have a note to buy Top Ramen, use the noodles, discard the spice package.
I usually just use a pack of flat ribbon noodles ( not sure if they are called that in US?

I’ve got a sous vide pork shoulder finishing in the oven, a big batch of macaroni salad in the fridge, and I’m hanging around on the deck, enjoying the weather, waiting to fire up the grill for some asparagus and corn.

1591566740895.png

With meat prices going up and limitations being placed on how much you can purchase I want to try making some power bowls. I found the above recipe.

Has anyone made anything like this or have other good recipes?

I also found I can buy Bird's Eye power bowls in the freezer section. I really enjoyed the "New England Style" one I picked up at market basket. I also got a Southwest Style one at BJ's Wholesale Club (well one back had 8 single serving bags in it). These are good, and I really hold me well for being meatless.

Week 3 of Cooking Things That Aren’t Burgers on my grill. Tonight was leg o’ lamb - didn’t quite require the dexterity that the other ones did (in fact I couldn’t get my heat under control so it finished faster than I expected and I had to hustle to get the rest of dinner together), but the results were fantastic.
EFC1F539-8AEF-4778-BAF0-FFDD9C980584.jpeg
D934CD8E-1E92-403F-8919-E26FC979A7EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Coming in for a bit of a product plug: years ago I got signed up for Zingerman's Food Explorer club for a few months as a gift, and one of the things they sent me was Kitchens of Africa's yassa simmer sauce. Pretty nuts & bolts quick weeknight meal: brown some meat/tofu/vegetables, pour in the sauce, simmer for a few minutes, serve over rice. But I gotta say, as somebody who had not experienced any African cuisine prior to this (other than a bit of Ethiopian), it was really good. And I couldn't find anywhere to buy more of it, because Zingerman's stopped carrying it.

I've checked in on the company occasionally ever since then, and recently found out they finally have their own web retail up and running out of their HQ in North Carolina. I just got a big box of maffé, yassa, and Zanzibar curry simmer sauces, along with some Kaani hot sauce, delivered. Planning on some fish yassa tonight, and I"m really looking forward to sampling the others soon.

Anyway: great business, lovely owner who will personally respond to your emails, nice intro to some underrepresented cuisine, and a high quality pantry substitute for cooking from scratch with ingredients you might have to otherwise hunt for. Recommended with the disclaimer that I've only tried one product, one time, but I'm optimistic:

Coming in for a bit of a product plug: years ago I got signed up for Zingerman's Food Explorer club for a few months as a gift, and one of the things they sent me was Kitchens of Africa's yassa simmer sauce. Pretty nuts & bolts quick weeknight meal: brown some meat/tofu/vegetables, pour in the sauce, simmer for a few minutes, serve over rice. But I gotta say, as somebody who had not experienced any African cuisine prior to this (other than a bit of Ethiopian), it was really good. And I couldn't find anywhere to buy more of it, because Zingerman's stopped carrying it.

I've checked in on the company occasionally ever since then, and recently found out they finally have their own web retail up and running out of their HQ in North Carolina. I just got a big box of maffé, yassa, and Zanzibar curry simmer sauces, along with some Kaani hot sauce, delivered. Planning on some fish yassa tonight, and I"m really looking forward to sampling the others soon.

Anyway: great business, lovely owner who will personally respond to your emails, nice intro to some underrepresented cuisine, and a high quality pantry substitute for cooking from scratch with ingredients you might have to otherwise hunt for. Recommended with the disclaimer that I've only tried one product, one time, but I'm optimistic:

Niiiiiiiice! That sounds delicious Indy. Thank you for the recommendation and the description. I shall be trying some of this in my quest to taste all the flavors. ALL OF THEM! :)

Niiiiiiiice! That sounds delicious Indy. Thank you for the recommendation and the description. I shall be trying some of this in my quest to taste all the flavors. ALL OF THEM! :)
I'm eating some leftovers for lunch and decided to pop open the
Kaani hot sauce
and oh my god my white midwestern tongue is in a new dimension of spice right now.

Back