Nom nom nom - Food Thread

I'm always looking for new pizza dough recipes.
Care to share? 😉

What do you use? After many experiments I have settled on this recipe that gets 4 Pizzas from:

400g 00 flour
100g semolina flour
7g sachet dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp castor sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
325ml tepid water

It’s from Flour Water Salt Yeast. I can type it up for y’all!

It’s somewhat hands on in that it requires manual mixing, folding and shaping, but nothing about it is particularly difficult or excessive.

Also, I made this batch with AP flour because I forgot I had 00 Italian flour. As a consequence, it was probably a little tougher to work with than it might otherwise have been, but it baked up very nicely on a super-hot stone.

It’s somewhat hands on in that it requires manual mixing, folding and shaping, but nothing about it is particularly difficult or excessive.

Also, I made this batch with AP flour because I forgot I had 00 Italian flour. As a consequence, it was probably a little tougher to work with than it might otherwise have been, but it baked up very nicely on a super-hot stone.

I might throw it all into my bread maker and choose the pizza dough setting...

I actually like manual mixing, I find it kind of relaxing.

It requires maybe 10 minutes of manual effort and about 7 hours of waiting, so the return on investment is pretty high.

I’ve used this recipe for a while now and before i had the machine I used to mix and knead by hand. It’s every bit as good out of the machine and I don’t have to knead the dough lol!

Same-Day Straight Pizza Dough
by Ken Forkish

yield: 5x 340 gram dough balls, or roughly 4x store-sized portions of dough
bulk fermentation: ~6 hours
proof time: at least 90 minutes

ingredients:

1000g white AP or 00 flour
700g water at 90-95 degrees F (32-35 degrees C)
20g fine sea salt
2g yeast

1a. Hydrate the yeast: measure 700g of water at 90-95 degrees into a container. Put 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of yeast into a separate, small container. Add about 3 Tbsp of water to the yeast and set aside.

1b. Autolyse: Combine the 1000g of flour and the remaining water in a 12-quart round tub (or other large container with a cover). Mix by hand until just incorporated. Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes.

2. Mix: Sprinkle the 20g of salt over the top of the dough. Stir the bloomed yeast mixture with your finger, then pour over the dough. Use a small piece of the autolysed flour mixture to wipe the remaining yeast from its container, then throw it back into the tub.

Mix by hand, wetting your working hand lightly before mixing so the dough doesn't stick to you.

Reach underneath the dough and grab about one-quarter of it. Gently stretch this section of dough and fold it over the top to the other side of the dough. Repeat three more times with the remaining dough, until the salt and yeast are enclosed.

Using the pincer method, alternating with folding the dough, to fully integrate the ingredients. Cut and fold, cut and fold. The target dough temperature at the end of the mix is 77-78 degrees F.

3. Fold: This dough needs one fold, best applied 30-60 minutes after mixing. After folding, lightly coat the dough and the bottom of the tub in olive oil to help prevent sticking. Let rise. When the dough is about double its initial volume, roughly six hours after mixing, it is ready to be divided.

4. Divide: Moderately flour a work surface about 2 feet wide. With floured hands, gently ease the dough out of the tub. With your hands still floured, pick up the dough and ease it back down onto the work surface in a somewhat even shape. Dust the the entire top surface of the dough with flour, then cut into 5 (or however many) equal pieces with a dough knife or plastic dough scraper.

5. Shape: Shape each piece of dough into a medium-tight round, working gently and being careful not to de-gas the dough.

6. Refrigerate: Put the dough balls on a lightly floured baking sheet, leaving space between them to allow for expansion. Lightly oil or flour the tops, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to make the dough easier to shape. Stored in the refrigerator and tightly covered, the dough will keep up to two days, and will continue to develop flavor over that time.

kvetcha's note: we skipped the refrigeration step when we first made the dough and it turned out just fine. we used half the dough the first day and the rest today, three days later. the leftover batch was a little harder to work (it needed to sit out about 45 minutes to warm up), but tasted great. we cooked on a baking steel preheated at 550 degrees F for an hour, running the broiler for about 10 minutes just before putting in the pizza and then returning the oven to 550, to get the steel up above 600 degrees.

Here's a playlist of Ken Forkish going over his pizza method if you need some visual assistance.

I recommend his book!

What I will say is that getting a proper pizza Stone (I actually bought a pizza steel but same principle) and preheating the oven for at least an hour at it’s highest setting are the two things that have made the biggest positive difference to my pizzas!

Same-Day Straight Pizza Dough
by Ken Forkish

yield: 5x 340 gram dough balls, or roughly 4x store-sized portions of dough
bulk fermentation: ~6 hours
proof time: at least 90 minutes

ingredients:

1000g white AP or 00 flour
700g water at 90-95 degrees F (32-35 degrees C)
20g fine sea salt
2g yeast

1a. Hydrate the yeast: measure 700g of water at 90-95 degrees into a container. Put 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of yeast into a separate, small container. Add about 3 Tbsp of water to the yeast and set aside.

1b. Autolyse: Combine the 1000g of flour and the remaining water in a 12-quart round tub (or other large container with a cover). Mix by hand until just incorporated. Cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes.

2. Mix: Sprinkle the 20g of salt over the top of the dough. Stir the bloomed yeast mixture with your finger, then pour over the dough. Use a small piece of the autolysed flour mixture to wipe the remaining yeast from its container, then throw it back into the tub.

Mix by hand, wetting your working hand lightly before mixing so the dough doesn't stick to you.

Reach underneath the dough and grab about one-quarter of it. Gently stretch this section of dough and fold it over the top to the other side of the dough. Repeat three more times with the remaining dough, until the salt and yeast are enclosed.

Using the pincer method, alternating with folding the dough, to fully integrate the ingredients. Cut and fold, cut and fold. The target dough temperature at the end of the mix is 77-78 degrees F.

3. Fold: This dough needs one fold, best applied 30-60 minutes after mixing. After folding, lightly coat the dough and the bottom of the tub in olive oil to help prevent sticking. Let rise. When the dough is about double its initial volume, roughly six hours after mixing, it is ready to be divided.

4. Divide: Moderately flour a work surface about 2 feet wide. With floured hands, gently ease the dough out of the tub. With your hands still floured, pick up the dough and ease it back down onto the work surface in a somewhat even shape. Dust the the entire top surface of the dough with flour, then cut into 5 (or however many) equal pieces with a dough knife or plastic dough scraper.

5. Shape: Shape each piece of dough into a medium-tight round, working gently and being careful not to de-gas the dough.

6. Refrigerate: Put the dough balls on a lightly floured baking sheet, leaving space between them to allow for expansion. Lightly oil or flour the tops, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to make the dough easier to shape. Stored in the refrigerator and tightly covered, the dough will keep up to two days, and will continue to develop flavor over that time.

kvetcha's note: we skipped the refrigeration step when we first made the dough and it turned out just fine. we used half the dough the first day and the rest today, three days later. the leftover batch was a little harder to work (it needed to sit out about 45 minutes to warm up), but tasted great. we cooked on a baking steel preheated at 550 degrees F for an hour, running the broiler for about 10 minutes just before putting in the pizza and then returning the oven to 550, to get the steel up above 600 degrees.

Here's a playlist of Ken Forkish going over his pizza method if you need some visual assistance.

I recommend his book!
Thank you!!!

I got a new book

And decided to kick things off with this one pot wonder:

Eggs with linguiça and peas

22703E52-FDCF-47C9-9FE5-2AE9206BB219.jpeg

Small excerpt from the recipe:

8BD1F035-4258-4D74-A57B-418AF61A4617.jpeg

I got a new book

And decided to kick things off with this one pot wonder:

Eggs with linguiça and peas

View attachment 41435

Small excerpt from the recipe:

View attachment 41436
Linguica

Spicy Sicilian pizza

@kvetcha @Joe Mac
I meant to chime in the last time the pizza conversation happened but what's your cooking set up? 00 flour doesn't work for me with my 525F max oven and get the best results with bread flour.

Really just looking for any excuse to get a baking steel

View attachment 41871
View attachment 41872

I use a baking steel. If you buy one, I suggest also purchasing a carrying case as it is NOT stainless steel and does not fare well living in the oven full time.

I put it on the middle rack, preheat at 550 (as high as I can) for at least an hour, then blast the broiler for 10 minutes or so while I build the pizza. Before sliding it in, set the oven back to 550, then go. Takes 8-9 minutes for a nicely blistered bottom crust.

I bought some 00 flour but have thus far only used King Arthur AP.

00 works well for me. I like 20% of my flour to be semolina too, i find it gives a much better taste and texture to the pizza base.

Like @kvetcha i have a baking steel but mine has been doing just fine living in the oven...

F means nothing to me sorry but I have a standard domestic oven that I’m getting up to 260/270 celcius

During my college days, I could do this conversion in my head (well... to Kelvin), but yeah that's ~500/515F, which is the max my oven reaches in practical purposes. I've tested it!

That’s more than enough with a broiler blast. I think Flour Water Salt Yeast actually calls for 500 degrees, I just do 550 out of habit.

@Joe Mac we kept ours on the bottom of the oven (there are no elements there) and ended up having condensation and rust issues.

That’s more than enough with a broiler blast. I think Flour Water Salt Yeast actually calls for 500 degrees, I just do 550 out of habit.

@Joe Mac we kept ours on the bottom of the oven (there are no elements there) and ended up having condensation and rust issues.

Oh right. I sealed mine, by initially baking it with oil and leave it always in. Most often on the second wire rack, but sometimes on the bottom of the oven if I need to use both racks. I’ve had no issues with rust at all after the first year, touch wood.

Last edited:
Back