Nom nom nom - Food Thread

Say more about this. Like you just add a little each day or the stove is literally on all day every day, or what?

When I make them I just keep them at medium low for an hour or 2. When they are done I leave them on the stove, don’t refrigerate them. When I want some just turn the pot on. By the end of the week the water is rich and a little thicker.

Pandemic stew

Lentils, bacon, carrots, and pork spare ribs all cooked in the pressure cooker.

I usually make this with chicken and about half the lentils, but spare ribs were all I could find at the store. We'll have leftovers for tomorrow and probably some more to throw in the freezer. It's not pretty but it's delicious.

IMG_20200315_174240.jpg

I bought a bunch of Chouriço at the grocery store a week and a half ago when I went shopping. It was one of the only meats left on the shelves.
It is large links the size of kielbasa. What can I make with it?

Anyone have any ideas?

I bought a bunch of Chouriço at the grocery store a week and a half ago when I went shopping. It was one of the only meats left on the shelves.
It is large links the size of kielbasa. What can I make with it?

Anyone have any ideas?

Caldo Verde

Portuguese soup with garlicky sausage, potatoes, and greens (usually kale). I usually make it with kielbasa since I live in an area with a large Polish population. This is in my normal rotation but I haven't been able to get my hands on any acceptable sausage.

A couple of slightly different recipes that use the same basic ideas:

Caldo Verde (Portuguese Potato and Kale Soup With Sausage) Recipe

Caldo Verde

Portuguese soup with garlicky sausage, potatoes, and greens (usually kale). I usually make it with kielbasa since I live in an area with a large Polish population. This is in my normal rotation but I haven't been able to get my hands on any acceptable sausage.

Oh, that looks good. I'll store that recipe for later. I have no Kale in my stock up and bunker at home stock to work with.

Caldo Verde

I made a giant batch of the Serious Eats version of this a couple of weekends ago, but withheld the meat for my vegetarian wife. I've tried it once with Trader Joe's soyrizo, but the flavor wasn't right. It's still pretty good without the sausage, although I do drop in a big dollop of Hungarian paprika paste to make up for some of the loss in flavor. My wife doesn't love the texture of mushrooms, but I wonder if maybe cooking some down into a duxelles-like consistency and then dumping that into it would work to amp up the umami.

Anyway, yeah, second the rec for caldo verde.

Caldo Verde

My wife loves this soup. I should make a big batch this week.

I made a giant batch of the Serious Eats version of this a couple of weekends ago, but withheld the meat for my vegetarian wife. I've tried it once with Trader Joe's soyrizo, but the flavor wasn't right. It's still pretty good without the sausage, although I do drop in a big dollop of Hungarian paprika paste to make up for some of the loss in flavor. My wife doesn't love the texture of mushrooms, but I wonder if maybe cooking some down into a duxelles-like consistency and then dumping that into it would work to amp up the umami.

I bet it would be good with fried up chunks of seitan, but I could imagine that not being her favorite either if she doesn't like the texture of mushrooms

Forgot to mention that I've also taken to replacing the meat with cannellini beans. SE's version doesn't call for the balsamic or for the tomatoes, but those sound like worthwhile additions as well.

I bet it would be good with fried up chunks of seitan, but I could imagine that not being her favorite either if she doesn't like the texture of mushrooms
Seitan doesn't seem to bother her. I think it's a mental block from the wasteland years of vegetarianism in the late 90s where she got served one too many slimy portobello 'burgers.'

Forgot to mention that I've also taken to replacing the meat with cannellini beans. SE's version doesn't call for the balsamic or for the tomatoes, but those sound like worthwhile additions as well.
Seitan doesn't seem to bother her. I think it's a mental block from the wasteland years of vegetarianism in the late 90s where she got served one too many slimy portobello 'burgers.'

Another thought: lentil meatballs.

And I don't bother with a tomato but I do usually finish mine with sherry vinegar.

lentil meatballs.
Oo. Haven't ever tried this, but I'm interested. Got a direction to point me in?

Also on the topic of kale and tomatoes, last night I made this, which has become a go-to family pleaser recipe template at our house:

It's not much more than just some braised kale, but it's a good foundation for a meal to go into our regular rotation.

I usually start by frying up some chickpeas in the pan I'm going to cook the rest in, and then I set them aside and add them back in at the very end. I also usually start some farro in stock up at the same time as the chickpeas, and then whatever cooking liquid is left over from the farro ends up being the liquid that goes into the kale pot toward the end of the recipe. With the chickpea/grain addition, this ends up being a pretty hearty dish either as a complete meal, or a good accompaniment to some roasted chicken or something.

Oo. Haven't ever tried this, but I'm interested. Got a direction to point me in?

Also on the topic of kale and tomatoes, last night I made this, which has become a go-to family pleaser recipe template at our house:

It's not much more than just some braised kale, but it's a good foundation for a meal to go into our regular rotation.

I usually start by frying up some chickpeas in the pan I'm going to cook the rest in, and then I set them aside and add them back in at the very end. I also usually start some farro in stock up at the same time as the chickpeas, and then whatever cooking liquid is left over from the farro ends up being the liquid that goes into the kale pot toward the end of the recipe. With the chickpea/grain addition, this ends up being a pretty hearty dish either as a complete meal, or a good accompaniment to some roasted chicken or something.

This was posted previously, but from a different site. Must be getting popular. I have made it twice with added chicken. I liked it.

Unfortunately never made lentil meatballs, but a bar near me puts them in a really good meatball parm sandwich. That's about as far as my experience goes.

That looks like a less stew-y version of one of my favorite open and dump meals from this Serious Eats recipe where I use a heartier green like kale or chard instead of spinach. I'll have to try it with a different spice mix and a little less liquid next time.

Unfortunately never made lentil meatballs, but a bar near me puts them in a really good meatball parm sandwich. That's about as far as my experience goes.

That looks like a less stew-y version of one of my favorite open and dump meals from this Serious Eats recipe where I use a heartier green like kale or chard instead of spinach. I'll have to try it with a different spice mix and a little less liquid next time.
That sounds like a winner, and probably a lot more flavorful than the coriander/turmeric/cumin combo in the one I posted, which is fairly subtle.

Back