No Buy Vinyl Support Thread

So I just upgraded from an AT-LP60 to a Fluance RT85 and to celebrate I decided to listen to my collection in alphabetical order and it’s been incredibly fun and engaging. If anyone is looking to stave off a buying spree I suggest giving this a shot, it’s very refreshing and has inspired me to spend more time with the records I already own! Happy New Year btw!

Don't get me wrong, I impulse buy no matter what lol I think I just value the experience of being in a record store physically because it's so rare for me that I feel like it's a waste to go to one and not come away with *something*

Yeah that’s very different to my experience. I walk past 3 on my way to the tram in the evening with another 5 or 6 only a couple of minutes detour away. I’ll often pop into one every day on my way home just to see what they’ve got in new, or are pushing right now. If I came away with something every time I did that imagine how frightening my purchase number would be! And yes I know I’m spoilt!

I have faith in all of you, it's fun to add to your collection, but sometimes it needs to be reeled in a bit, and having others to lean on (here in this thread) is probably helpful. I'll share my last two years, in 2018 I averaged almost 2 albums PER DAY! It's nobody's fault but my own, too many impulse buys and a little FOMO for good measure.

Maybe 5 months into 2019 we started selling and PIFing a bunch of records, bought a lot wiser and really stuck to the "Quality over Quantity" rule. 2019 ended up with 140 albums added and 7 Box sets (3+ Album pkgs).......still a lot, but a far cry from 2018, lol.

I also enjoyed spending more time "really" listening to albums in 2019 instead of just adding albums to the collection. I honestly think every collector/hobbyist, if they're really honest with themselves can not only cut some of the dead weight, but spend less and enjoy more.........and that's why we all find ourselves in this thread :)

I thought it would be fun to have mini month challenges. No pressure. If you want to do this and talk about it, please do!

January:
Do you have any sealed records? Open them and listen to them! Records are made to be listened to! Share any stories or fun or videos opening the records for the first time!

I thought it would be fun to have mini month challenges. No pressure. If you want to do this and talk about it, please do!

January:
Do you have any sealed records? Open them and listen to them! Records are made to be listened to! Share any stories or fun or videos opening the records for the first time!

I have a few that are sealed for flipping

January:
I have 3 from Christmas II (Family joining us for New Years/Christmas this week)........they'll be opened, cleaned and spun sometime today as well as starting through the existing collection :)

Day 1 of no buy January was a success!

Some reasonable limits/challenges that I wanted to establish for myself this year, and I realize that these aren't quite ambitious:
  • At least three months of no new purchases (this month counts towards that total).
    • With this saved money, go to more concerts. In 2020, I went to 12 shows, a rather low number for most users here, but by the far the most I've ever been to in a single year by myself (or with a friend). I still absolutely prefer smaller venues.
  • A total of no more than 40 new records for the year. I will catalog this in both Discogs and a collage (perhaps Topsters2).
    • This total does not include my two outstanding preorders and any gifts I receive, expected or unexpected.
  • Limit online purchases and go to local stores for at least 75% of acquisitions. There are over 10 record stores in Portland, so no excuses there.
  • Like others have mentioned here, spin my entire library at least once. Hopefully find some that don't spark joy and set them in aside in a Drona crate.
    • With those items in the aforementioned crate, participate in the PIF thread to spread the love.
  • Use the "Random Item" feature on Discogs more frequently, and don't be tempted to pass over the first randomization. I'm finding myself on a rotation of ~40 records lately, and it's not fair to neglect the rest of the collection.
  • Engage in the equipment thread and focus on upgrading equipment...budget and set aside funding for a turntable upgrade + preamp addition. With the reduction in record spending, I trust this to help me enjoy the hobby further.
  • Meet at least one person from N&G in person.
  • Of course, get involved with more threads on N&G! ❤
Perhaps I can figure out some more as the year goes along. I'm interested in hearing more suggestions.

Last edited:
You guys have tons on challenges coming, congrats and good luck to respect those all!

On my side, Winter sales are starting in France next Wednesday so, well, you know, I'll probably purchase one record ( or two..three?) in January. Then I'll try to reduce my orders and stick to records I REALLY want than to FOMO ones. I'll definitely keep ordering records from the labels I've been following (J-Jazz records, Superfly Records, Strata East reissues, Nimbus West Reissues, Mad Aboud Records, Principe Discos, Analog Africa, Ostinato Records...I am laughing right now... Pink Floyd reissues, Tribe reissues, Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf serie, Blue Note Tone Poet, Blue Note 80, Le Très Jazz Club, Le Très Groove Club, Mr Bongo reissues, Colemine Records, SdBan), I'll spend some extra money at the next Independant Label Market in Paris, next Francis Cabrel aka God with a Mustache new album and, of course, all the N&G AotMs!!!

Starting mid-March I'll have other priorities like trying to sleep, change diapers and prepare baby bottles so, at this time, I'll certainly purchase less records. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be moving to the south-west of France starting a new life close to the woods, the lakes and the sea. I, then, somewhere next year will have more time (I hope) to rearrange my CD/vinyl collection, sell some stuff, upgrade my equipment and start enjoying more my collection.

So well, a big year started yesterday for me! May be force be with me!

You guys have tons on challenges coming, congrats and good luck to respect those all!

On my side, Winter sales are starting in France next Wednesday so, well, you know, I'll probably purchase one record ( or two..three?) in January. Then I'll try to reduce my orders and stick to records I REALLY want than to FOMO ones. I'll definitely keep ordering records from the labels I've been following (J-Jazz records, Superfly Records, Strata East reissues, Nimbus West Reissues, Mad Aboud Records, Principe Discos, Analog Africa, Ostinato Records...I am laughing right now... Pink Floyd reissues, Tribe reissues, Jazz Dispensary Top Shelf serie, Blue Note Tone Poet, Blue Note 80, Le Très Jazz Club, Le Très Groove Club, Mr Bongo reissues, Colemine Records, SdBan), I'll spend some extra money at the next Independant Label Market in Paris, next Francis Cabrel aka God with a Mustache new album and, of course, all the N&G AotMs!!!

Starting mid-March I'll have other priorities like trying to sleep, change diapers and prepare baby bottles so, at this time, I'll certainly purchase less records. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be moving to the south-west of France starting a new life close to the woods, the lakes and the sea. I, then, somewhere next year will have more time (I hope) to rearrange my CD/vinyl collection, sell some stuff, upgrade my equipment and start enjoying more my collection.

So well, a big year started yesterday for me! May be force be with me!

@Skalap the sea faring, lumberjack Dad with more records than the population of the small town he’s moving to...

Good luck, sounds like a lot of exciting, but completely life altering changes, are coming your way!

Back