New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Just arrived via FedEx this morning. Reading through the manual it does not say how many times you can reuse the water or if at all. Are we supposed to replace with new distilled water each clean?

Just arrived via FedEx this morning. Reading through the manual it does not say how many times you can reuse the water or if at all. Are we supposed to replace with new distilled water each clean?
Use your judgement. Plenty of us have been reusing the water and filtering it each time.

something I noticed while working on another batch. the way I pour water back in is aiming for the sides of the resevoirs so that the water rolls into the bottom of the basin and you dont get the splash back or the excess noise of water splashing in. Doing this though, I can see water droplets landing on the lip of the fan to the right of the machine and water that comes out of the sides of the water catcher falling onto that lip as well and staying there.

Now I stood there for 10 minutes as the record dried and watched water from that lip get sprayed onto the record. Boom, water on the disc again during the drying process. Now I just go ahead and wipe that lip before I start the machine, havent had any droplets on the record for the last 3 or so records since I noticed.

Per Humminguru's FAQ:
"Yes, you can reuse the water until you obverse the water is visibly dirty."

Per Humminguru's FAQ:
"Yes, you can reuse the water until you obverse the water is visibly dirty."
I think that people's sort of folk wisdom is better than this (i.e. 15 or so records). I've been doing about 10-15 and then changing it out and the water still looks clear (although I clean with my 'ol RCM beforehand). I don't feel wasteful changing it out this often, but I def want to get it changed out before the dirt is visible. 'Cause in my mind....and I leave room for the fact that my mind and, therefore my thinking, may be corrupt...if I can visibly see dirty water then that means it was dirtier than I would like before that.

something I noticed while working on another batch. the way I pour water back in is aiming for the sides of the resevoirs so that the water rolls into the bottom of the basin and you dont get the splash back or the excess noise of water splashing in. Doing this though, I can see water droplets landing on the lip of the fan to the right of the machine and water that comes out of the sides of the water catcher falling onto that lip as well and staying there.

Now I stood there for 10 minutes as the record dried and watched water from that lip get sprayed onto the record. Boom, water on the disc again during the drying process. Now I just go ahead and wipe that lip before I start the machine, havent had any droplets on the record for the last 3 or so records since I noticed.

I have noticed this same thing although with different results as sometimes there are STILL droplets on this disc, however this may be because some of that water is still inside the fan inlets and your theory is the one I’m leaning most heavily towards. I will be buying a small funnel and cutting it to size so that I can fill the reservoir quickly without any splashing close to the fans.

Cleaned about 12 records on my first try. Everything came out really well except for a record that came out covered in dust toward the end. It was heavier vinyl so maybe a longer drying process next time?

Cleaned about 12 records on my first try. Everything came out really well except for a record that came out covered in dust toward the end. It was heavier vinyl so maybe a longer drying process next time?
I think the general opinion (not to say consensus) is that surface dust is related to static charge built up during drying. It should brush right off.

1050 pieces of vinyl done now and I finally think I’m getting on top of my collection. I reckon that’s roughly 2/3 of my collection of 1004 releases now cleaned. I think 10 days with no new arrivals helped, don’t think I’ll have any more on my hands until Monday week either unless a pre comes through the post!

Going to take a HumminGuru break over the weekend now!

Last edited:
1050 pieces of vinyl done now and I finally think I’m getting on top of my collection. I reckon that’s roughly 2/3 of my collection of 1006 releases now cleaned. I think 10 days with no new arrivals helped, don’t think I’ll have any more on my hands until Monday week either unless a pre comes through the post!

Going to take a HumminGuru break over the weekend now!
Wow.

Is the water supposed to get warmer after one cycle? I thought I had seen on a review video here that someone measured the temperature and it increases.

I only run 1-2 records on it before turning it off but don't notice any change in temp.

Is the water supposed to get warmer after one cycle? I thought I had seen on a review video here that someone measured the temperature and it increases.

I only run 1-2 records on it before turning it off but don't notice any change in temp.
It probably does go up during a single cycle by a degree or two if you were to accurately measure it. Mine is only noticeable to my fingers after maybe 5 or 6 records with as little downtime as possible between them. Even then I think there is an upper limit to what it is going get above ambient due to the time it sits during drying and the act of pouring it back into the cooled chamber through air that is likely cooler as well. I've not measured it but based on sensation I am guessing mine is getting in the neighborhood of 90F-100F maximum which is appreciably higher than the 70F ambient.

If it’s a particularly old album, I’ll heat the water in the microwave for 30 seconds and then run it. The temp still goes down after a cycle, not up. Maybe it heats it up from a completely neutral temp though?

Back