New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

I just had to do the trick of putting a piece of sticky felt on the back of roller 1 since a record was a millimeter too small. Works fine. And the felt pieces that come with the Kallax are what I ended up using.
Yeah the only record out of the last 100+ or so was a super thin 80's disco single to not spin, the rest have been fine.
See my previous post. Humminguru also has some guidance which is where I got my idea from. Pull roller #1 put a sticky pad behind it no more than 2mm thick and put the roller back in. They have it pinned on their IG page in the "tips" story.

I really don't like the design of the water tank. I anticipated the lid would come off when pouring the water back in so I thought I had a good grip on it but even then the thing somehow slipped off and caused a huge mess.

I'm also don't think the way the filter sits that all the water gets filtered. A small amount can always pass through the sides.

Having said that I don't think it's a huge deal once you know the issue.

I really don't like the design of the water tank. I anticipated the lid would come off when pouring the water back in so I thought I had a good grip on it but even then the thing somehow slipped off and caused a huge mess.

I'm also don't think the way the filter sits that all the water gets filtered. A small amount can always pass through the sides.

I use a death grip on it where my index finger presses tightly down on top while my other fingers grip the sides. Never had it slip of spill much at all. Some leaks out of the side but not much.

What do people do for replacement filters? Mine is getting dirty…

I use a death grip on it where my index finger presses tightly down on top while my other fingers grip the sides. Never had it slip of spill much at all. Some leaks out of the side but not much.

Uh, mine came with like 5 or 6 replacement filters?

googles your friend, just look for

Fish Tank Filter Pad​

you should find something suitable and in a roll big enough to last a lifetime
filter pad

yeah, mine also came with a few replacement filters (water and air) as well as replacement wheels. They air filters were packed in such a way that it could have looked like part of the packing.

Did you buy kickstarter or later? Kickstarter backers didn’t get additional filters, we had to add them as an additional pledge when filling in our shipping details. I know Mike had issues with that bit.
Yea it wouldn’t let me buy any extras for some reason and no spares were included. PayPal was the option for payment and it kept giving me an error any time I hit the pay with PayPal button.

Thanks for the suggestion @Smartiepants ! I’ll look into that.

Yeah it wasn’t. We did get the 7” & 10” adaptors free and the machine cheaper though 😂
I actually see where a spare water tank might be useful so may eventually try to get another one of those. I’d consider having one tank of just water and one with tergitol mixture but it might be overkill!

I actually see where a spare water tank might be useful so may eventually try to get another one of those. I’d consider having one tank of just water and one with tergitol mixture but it might be overkill!

Yeah that’s firmly in the overkill category for me! This thing is supposed to make my life easier than the spin clean did 😂

googles your friend, just look for

Fish Tank Filter Pad​

you should find something suitable and in a roll big enough to last a lifetime
filter pad
That looks good. I'd been meaning to ask if anybody had any thoughts about a foam filter as I don't like the way the current filter starts to wear after a while. It doesn't seem the best part. And somewhat agreed re the water tank. It leaks every time I pour it in, albeit not much. Mostly, I love it all but in a device that is meant to save me time (and does a lot) the water tank pouring in every 10 mins is a bit of a faff.

Last night I cleaned Ben Folds' Rockin' the Suburbs album which is a 2LP set with side 4 being blank (instead of an etching) My machine made THE WORST noise, something I hadn't heard in the 200 odd albums I've cleaned so far. I immediately cleaned another 5-6 albums and the noise was gone, it must have been the 'blank' sided album that it didn't like. Just a head's up to folks who might run into the same issue.

Last night I cleaned Ben Folds' Rockin' the Suburbs album which is a 2LP set with side 4 being blank (instead of an etching) My machine made THE WORST noise, something I hadn't heard in the 200 odd albums I've cleaned so far. I immediately cleaned another 5-6 albums and the noise was gone, it must have been the 'blank' sided album that it didn't like. Just a head's up to folks who might run into the same issue.
Weird, I've done multiple with the blank side and not had any difference.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that after using this unit, an automatic system that would pump the (filtered) water back into the cleaning reservoir is a feature I'd be willing to pay more for, but I certainly don't fault the designers for this cost-saving feature as it is in the Humminguru. Also, I've never had the lid come off while pouring the water back into the unit, though I agree it would be nice if there weren't any drips out the corners, AND I can't imagine those few drops of unfiltered water will make any difference in the cleaning process (so I agree with you that it isn't a huge deal). And wasn't it the case that from the start, the designers of this cleaner planned for a new tank of water for each cleaning? I seem to recall that the idea of re-using the water was something that evolved during the design/testing/feedback stages of the process. So again (if this is true), I can't find fault with the current design even if I can envision that it could be improved upon (a gasket around the lid of the water tank should solve the dripping problem, for example).

In an earlier post, I mentioned that after using this unit, an automatic system that would pump the (filtered) water back into the cleaning reservoir is a feature I'd be willing to pay more for, but I certainly don't fault the designers for this cost-saving feature as it is in the Humminguru. Also, I've never had the lid come off while pouring the water back into the unit, though I agree it would be nice if there weren't any drips out the corners, AND I can't imagine those few drops of unfiltered water will make any difference in the cleaning process (so I agree with you that it isn't a huge deal). And wasn't it the case that from the start, the designers of this cleaner planned for a new tank of water for each cleaning? I seem to recall that the idea of re-using the water was something that evolved during the design/testing/feedback stages of the process. So again (if this is true), I can't find fault with the current design even if I can envision that it could be improved upon (a gasket around the lid of the water tank should solve the dripping problem, for example).
Agreed re: a gasket. It's probably something a person could do on one's own if they were compelled.

Could also just make a little external filter that drains into the tank so you can dump and replace the reservoir in a less finicky way.

Tiny Chemex and a coffee filter, anyone?

Agreed re: a gasket. It's probably something a person could do on one's own if they were compelled.

Could also just make a little external filter that drains into the tank so you can dump and replace the reservoir in a less finicky way.
Yes! I've been thinking about devising something that would allow me to pour more freely, through a larger filter, from the tank back into the reservoir. Perhaps a funnel with a filter??

Yes! I've been thinking about devising something that would allow me to pour more freely, through a larger filter, from the tank back into the reservoir. Perhaps a funnel with a filter??
Yeah, I had the same thought.

Back