New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

I can’t seem to get rid of the noise. Mine is particularly bad sometimes.
Yeah I've looking around thinking it could be that maybe the rotating wheels need some lubrication perhaps, but that doesnt seem to be it. It also comes and goes during cleaning sessions. I could go through 5 records in the first round and then by the 6th one that's when its very noisy but then goes away during the 7th.

I just had to do the trick of putting a piece of sticky felt on the back of roller 1 since a record was a millimeter too small. Works fine. And the felt pieces that come with the Kallax are what I ended up using.

Just cleaned my first record! And not just with the HG - I've never had anything other than a discwasher brush.

Really pleased with the results (listening with headphones). I know this particular record had some clicks and they're all gone. I feel like there's much more clarity but this could be recency bias as I haven't spun this record in ages and didn't do a before/after

The record is Joe Armon Jones - Starting Today on the Brownwood label which is notorious for having great music but their pressings are always riddled with pops.

A few points:
- I just used the auto cycle (2 mins clean and 5 mins dry).
- There was a fair bit of fluff on the record from static before I cleaned. All of that collected near the label at the end of the cleaning.
- the record was dry. Visually at least. I did do a swipe with the cloth but it wasn't really wet so I think it did a good job drying.
-the noise isn't great - I had expected worse but I still had to leave the room and close the door behind me. The draining sound was actually the loudest though.
- good news is it didn't wake my kids up so I'm pleased about this.
- I think the only way I can use this thing is when my kids and wife are out of the apartment or when the kids are asleep and we've got the tv on in the living in the room or it will give her a headache for sure.

Figure with 500 records even cleaning each one once gives me my ROI. So I'm pretty satisfied with the product.

Question:

Fotoflo is cheap here. Is that to prevent the little fluff from stick to the surface of the record from the static?

Just cleaned my first record! And not just with the HG - I've never had anything other than a discwasher brush.

Really pleased with the results (listening with headphones). I know this particular record had some clicks and they're all gone. I feel like there's much more clarity but this could be recency bias as I haven't spun this record in ages and didn't do a before/after

The record is Joe Armon Jones - Starting Today on the Brownwood label which is notorious for having great music but their pressings are always riddled with pops.

A few points:
- I just used the auto cycle (2 mins clean and 5 mins dry).
- There was a fair bit of fluff on the record from static before I cleaned. All of that collected near the label at the end of the cleaning.
- the record was dry. Visually at least. I did do a swipe with the cloth but it wasn't really wet so I think it did a good job drying.
-the noise isn't great - I had expected worse but I still had to leave the room and close the door behind me. The draining sound was actually the loudest though.
- good news is it didn't wake my kids up so I'm pleased about this.
- I think the only way I can use this thing is when my kids and wife are out of the apartment or when the kids are asleep and we've got the tv on in the living in the room or it will give her a headache for sure.

Figure with 500 records even cleaning each one once gives me my ROI. So I'm pretty satisfied with the product.

Question:

Fotoflo is cheap here. Is that to prevent the little fluff from stick to the surface of the record from the static?
The static is likely from the dry cycle. As far as I know the fotoflo is just to help break the surface tension of the water to allow it to “stick” to the record better and

I have cleaned around 50 or so records so far and had 2 or 3 fail to rotate, the only way I could get them to turn was to apply pressure down on this tab on the left hand side which is a pain if you do a ten min dry cycle, other than that I'm very happy with it so far, warming up the water in the microwave for 30 sec and a few drops of ilfotol before I clean a batch but the sticking records can be a pain as it means I have to keep an eye on it, anybody else get this, I may swop the rollers out see if that changes anything 20220103_103303.jpg

I have cleaned around 50 or so records so far and had 2 or 3 fail to rotate, the only way I could get them to turn was to apply pressure down on this tab on the left hand side which is a pain if you do a ten min dry cycle, other than that I'm very happy with it so far, warming up the water in the microwave for 30 sec and a few drops of ilfotol before I clean a batch but the sticking records can be a pain as it means I have to keep an eye on it, anybody else get this, I may swop the rollers out see if that changes anything View attachment 123542

I’ve had that happen with 2 out of 930 so far. Both were super thin 80s records with a knobbly edge.

Last edited:
I've had 4 (I think) not rotate so far. All were thicker than normal, oddly enough. I'm not sure about this bit of felt tip so I've just rotated them all by hand, which is a faff but given I've cleaned 200+ no biggie. Only one I didn't catch ASAP so just had to clean that one twice.

I have cleaned around 50 or so records so far and had 2 or 3 fail to rotate, the only way I could get them to turn was to apply pressure down on this tab on the left hand side which is a pain if you do a ten min dry cycle, other than that I'm very happy with it so far, warming up the water in the microwave for 30 sec and a few drops of ilfotol before I clean a batch but the sticking records can be a pain as it means I have to keep an eye on it, anybody else get this, I may swop the rollers out see if that changes anything View attachment 123542
I've had a few not rotate and I had a square of felt near the machine, so I just rolled it up and put it right above that front roller and it is enough to barely push the record backwards to get it to rotate and the rotation keep the felt in place.

Yeah the only record out of the last 100+ or so was a super thin 80's disco single to not spin, the rest have been fine.

Back