New ultrasonic vinyl cleaner in the works: Humminguru

Is the water supposed to get warmer after one cycle? I thought I had seen on a review video here that someone measured the temperature and it increases.

I only run 1-2 records on it before turning it off but don't notice any change in temp.

HG have posted on FB that temp may increase 1-2 degrees each cycle but that is not my experience (have checked with thermometer).

They also stated to use warm water between 25-35 degrees. I microwave for 30 secs.

Is anyone else just using the cleaning cycle and letting the records air dry? Beats emptying the tank after every record.

My routine is to clean 7 records a time 5 min cycle and leave them on a rack to dry, powering off the HG until they are dry and go again. I auto clean the seventh record so the water drains back into the tank so it will get filtered before next batch.

My records are pretty clean to begin with but I first clean with a carbon fiber brush and go over with the Tonar Tacky.

Today I used a new, diy system for getting/filtering the water back into the bath portion of the cleaner after each cleaning. I used this large Clever Coffee Dripper.

And I bought these aquarium filter pads, which seem like the exact material used for the filters that come with the HG:

I cut one strip of the filter pad to about 1 1/2" x 4", folded it in half, and pushed it (lying flat) into the bottom (inside) of the Clever Dripper. Then I cut a much larger piece of filter pad to shape (as best I could) against the inner wall of the Dripper, as a coffee filter would. The underside of the Coffee Dripper has a gasket that keeps the water in until a moveable piece is lifted upward, the idea (for brewing) being that you pour the water in to steep the ground coffee, let it brew, and then when you place the filter on a cup, the underside piece is lifted and the liquid quickly exits the cone.

After cleaning and drying a record, I placed the Clever Dripper (with pads as described) on top of the HG, took the lid off the water tank, and poured the water into the Clever Dripper. After setting down the empty water tank, I used the fingers of both my hands to act as the rim of a cup and lift the moving piece on the underside of the Dripper to allow the water to flow into the cleaning reservoir. If this is working as it should, the water is being filtered through three layers of the filtering material. After a few tries, it was faster than pouring from the water tank, and a lot less frustrating because I had more control over where and how the water was moving.

On another note, after cleaning 20+ records today, I've confirmed beyond all reasonable doubt that records I've recently cleaned with my Squeaky Clean do not dry in the HumminGuru. (Two new records dried just fine; all the others, previously cleaned, had water droplets on them after the drying cycle.) This is something I thought I'd noticed last time I cleaned, but now I'm certain. And I have to believe it's related to the cleaning fluid I've been using (L'Art Du Son), though I'm not quite sure what's going on. I know I read back when I decided to buy the stuff that there was some debate about whether it left a residue on the records. Some people said yes, others said no. I'm pretty sure the company that makes it claims that no rinse is required. With the Squeaky Clean, I basically decided to split the difference by putting the stuff on the record, brushing it in, letting it sit a short while, then adding distilled water, brushing that in, and then vacuuming. Not sure that any of this matters, but it is a bit mysterious.

HG have posted on FB that temp may increase 1-2 degrees each cycle but that is not my experience (have checked with thermometer).

They also stated to use warm water between 25-35 degrees. I microwave for 30 secs.

Is anyone else just using the cleaning cycle and letting the records air dry? Beats emptying the tank after every record.

My routine is to clean 7 records a time 5 min cycle and leave them on a rack to dry, powering off the HG until they are dry and go again. I auto clean the seventh record so the water drains back into the tank so it will get filtered before next batch.

My records are pretty clean to begin with but I first clean with a carbon fiber brush and go over with the Tonar Tacky.

Might try that air dry method. Do you find they dry off quickly?

I reckon the pump is the first thing that's going to crap out on this machine so probably not having the draining cycle every run will increase the longevity.

My question about the Temperature was more related to "how do I know the ultrasonic is working at full capacity?" Just curious if everything is functioning.

Might try that air dry method. Do you find they dry off quickly?

I reckon the pump is the first thing that's going to crap out on this machine so probably not having the draining cycle every run will increase the longevity.

My question about the Temperature was more related to "how do I know the ultrasonic is working at full capacity?" Just curious if everything is functioning.

Usually dry in about 1hr - 1.5hr

Back in stock, replacement kits and replacement water tanks
Considering getting one just to experiment with modifying a pumped return to the reservoir.

Back in stock, replacement kits and replacement water tanks
Thats an expensive water tank

Edit: ill just buy a Chemex then

Finally received my Zerostat 3 anti-static gun. Haven't tried it yet, but have spent the past hour or so trying to figure out how best to use it. Amazing how many different approaches are out there on the web, and how stupid some of the 'testing' is that people do to demonstrate its effectiveness. Anyway, finally landed upon an old set of instructions that make a lot of sense, so thought I'd share them here. Also, if anyone with experience with this gizmo wishes to chime in, that'd be great. (I should add that there are instructions on the box, but they're brief and a bit cryptic, and for some strange reason, none of the online stuff pays any heed to those instructions! I know my own experience will be the best way to figure this out, but it's still nice to have an idea for a reasonable starting point.)

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 4.46.03 PM.png

Finally received my Zerostat 3 anti-static gun. Haven't tried it yet, but have spent the past hour or so trying to figure out how best to use it. Amazing how many different approaches are out there on the web, and how stupid some of the 'testing' is that people do to demonstrate its effectiveness. Anyway, finally landed upon an old set of instructions that make a lot of sense, so thought I'd share them here. Also, if anyone with experience with this gizmo wishes to chime in, that'd be great. (I should add that there are instructions on the box, but they're brief and a bit cryptic, and for some strange reason, none of the online stuff pays any heed to those instructions! I know my own experience will be the best way to figure this out, but it's still nice to have an idea for a reasonable starting point.)

View attachment 124542
My extremely scientific method would be to rub cat shit all over a record, then zap it with the zerostat. If the cat shit isn't completely gone, I would then post a YouTube video explaining calmly and rationally how the zerostat is a disappointment.

My extremely scientific method would be to rub cat shit all over a record, then zap it with the zerostat. If the cat shit isn't completely gone, I would then post a YouTube video explaining calmly and rationally how the zerostat is a disappointment.
As long as there is some kitty litter clinging to that cat shit while rubbing it onto the record, I think the method would be sound!

Glad I got mine last week. I see they are sold out at the moment. Really enjoying it so far, although I've noticed some wear on the water filter only after a handful of uses. I think I need a better anti-static brush for those records that really come out covered in dust. There's usually a few drops of water on the record at the end of the dry cycle and I think using the spin wash cloth to wipe them off makes the dust issue much worse.

Glad I got mine last week. I see they are sold out at the moment. Really enjoying it so far, although I've noticed some wear on the water filter only after a handful of uses. I think I need a better anti-static brush for those records that really come out covered in dust. There's usually a few drops of water on the record at the end of the dry cycle and I think using the spin wash cloth to wipe them off makes the dust issue much worse.
I use this brush to dust records before cleaning in the HG. It works well, pretty much no dust after a cleaning/drying cycle. Plus it's called thunderon, which is badass.

Back