New Music Friday!

I don't really follow the New Shoegaze bands too closely but will listen to stuff when I come across it. I came across this being released today. Hopefully it's good!

VMP is putting out a pressing of this. There was a discussion regarding how there is a North Carolina band that has a nearly identical name called Country Westerns.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the new Sum 41. A great swan song and a showcase of the all the band has done over their long career. Got a soft spot for them, they came out when I was like 11-12, so it hits that nostalgia REAL hard.
Holy shit you weren't kidding dude! I'm also pleasantly surprised by the 🆕album, and like yourself, I was a die-hard fan back in the day (God I'm old lol). I like how the first half is pop punk and the second half is more hardcore and metal 🤘 There's some serious bangers 🔥with great guitar 🎸work on here! "Rise Up" being one of them. Like you mentioned, the album is a culmination of all their work over the years and it may just be their best project. These guys are going out with a real bang 💥 Well done SUM 41 👏

The two albums I'm excited about today that I'm not seeing on the previous lists are:

gglum - The Garden Dream
h.pruz - No Glory
I thought gglum's debut full-length album The Garden Dream was decent. The U.K. singer-songwritrer, Ella Smoker, shows a lot of promise and I'm curious to hear what she comes up with next.

Getting a second listen to Cowboy Carter in.

Few thoughts…

1. I like this a lot more than Renaissance. Related to that, I am very happy that this is coming out in the middle of a moment for Black Country. I’m also happy that Brittany Spencer and Britti hit before this to further temper my thoughts on what country is/can be. Musgraves started me down a path of letting go of more purist thought and I think these ladies have obliterated them.

2. That Blackbird is goddamned beautiful.

3. As with most concept albums the conceit doesn’t hold up, but I’ll be damned if her exploration of what it means to be American isn’t compelling as hell.

It will need a few/lot more listens to fully digest, but it is worthy of Beyoncé and could end up just below Beyoncé and Lemonade in my personal esteem of it.

I also wonder how I’ll feel about Renaissance in conjunction with it, as well as how all three acts will work to paint a larger picture/project.

I don’t think it will my top ten for the quarter but it has every possibility of crawling into my top ten for the year. I also kind of regret not preordering it.

Getting a second listen to Cowboy Carter in.

Few thoughts…

1. I like this a lot more than Renaissance. Related to that, I am very happy that this is coming out in the middle of a moment for Black Country. I’m also happy that Brittany Spencer and Britti hit before this to further temper my thoughts on what country is/can be. Musgraves started me down a path of letting go of more purist thought and I think these ladies have obliterated them.

2. That Blackbird is goddamned beautiful.

3. As with most concept albums the conceit doesn’t hold up, but I’ll be damned if her exploration of what it means to be American isn’t compelling as hell.

It will need a few/lot more listens to fully digest, but it is worthy of Beyoncé and could end up just below Beyoncé and Lemonade in my personal esteem of it.

I also wonder how I’ll feel about Renaissance in conjunction with it, as well as how all three acts will work to paint a larger picture/project.

I don’t think it will my top ten for the quarter but it has every possibility of crawling into my top ten for the year. I also kind of regret not preordering it.
My thoughts are that this album was not made for me which is completely fine. I preferred Renaissance because I could dance to it. Some of the songs are good if not great. I will likely never listen to this album in its entirety ever again but some of the individual tracks might make it on some mixes.

Another cover of “Blackbird” means Macca can probably afford to get divorced again if he so chooses.

My favorite track on the entire album is “Spaghetti” which does feature any country elements at all.

All that being said, I am very happy that Beyoncé is following her muse. I hope she beats out Taylor for all the awards this year.

My thoughts are that this album was not made for me which is completely fine. I preferred Renaissance because I could dance to it. Some of the songs are good if not great. I will likely never listen to this album in its entirety ever again but some of the individual tracks might make it on some mixes.

Another cover of “Blackbird” means Macca can probably afford to get divorced again if he so chooses.

My favorite track on the entire album is “Spaghetti” which does feature any country elements at all.

All that being said, I am very happy that Beyoncé is following her muse. I hope she beats out Taylor for all the awards this year.
Spaghettii is one of a handful of features by an actual Country singer singing on it.

Side thought, why is Post Malone a thing?

Back