N&G Greatest Music Artists of All Time

I had a bunch more "/'s," but cleaned it up a little. Probably still unfair to include the VU and Lou Reed solo combo.
It’s a made up list on the internet it’s not unfair. Just exploiting a loophole.

My made up rule for my made up list was if the band was basically driven by a single artist than a slash would apply to all their projects. but if the band was a group with multiple influences then I had to split them out as their own thing. That’s why I had Wu-Tang and Ghostface as two separate entries but Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co. as one entry.

Honestly, while most everyone’s list is thoughtful and interesting I enjoy everyone providing insight into how they arrived at their final lists even more than the actual lists.

Last edited:
I debated the slashes and ended up just going with the element I found more "great" and crediting the artist with all their works. Like Paul Simon on mine is S&G as well, Jenny Lewis is Rilo Kiley, etc.
Yeah the RK/JL is a tough one. For me, Rilo Kiley is initially the band that I love, therefore I love Jenny Lewis. Rather than I love Jenny Lewis therefore I love Rilo Kiley. Then Jenny having a great separate solo career gives it the extra points to just make it on the list.

It’s a made up list on the internet it’s not unfair. Just exploiting a loophole.

My made up rule for my made up list was if the band was basically driven by a single artist than a slash would apply to all their projects. but if the band was a group with multiple influences then I had to split them out as their own thing. That’s why I had Wu-Tang and Ghostface as two separate entries but Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co. as one entry.

Honestly, while most everyone’s list is thoughtful and interesting I enjoy everyone providing insight into how they arrived at their final lists.

This basically how I handled it. Like, I almost put Joshe Homme instead of QotSA because of Kyuss and the Desert Sessions (which are wonderful historical documents of a scene). But Kyuss wasn't really his band and I don't like Eagles of Death Metal. However, the Desert Sessions were 100% his brainchild.

Meanwhile, Nicolas Jarr literally just wears a different pseudonym depending on the genre of electronic he's tackling.

The one stretch was combining Blur and the Gorillaz by naming Damon. But each group's discography is very hit or miss for me (I very much prefer late era Blur and mid-era Gorillaz is extremely meh). But when you combine them, there are 5 albums that are 5/5's in my book + a couple of interesting 4/5's. Same philosophy applied to RTJ and its two members.

Last edited:
I debated the slashes and ended up just going with the element I found more "great" and crediting the artist with all their works. Like Paul Simon on mine is S&G as well, Jenny Lewis is Rilo Kiley, etc.

This is what I did. Even though I’m not the biggest Bjork solo fan, I love the Sugarcubes and at this point her solo work has eclipsed that.

1. The Cure
2. R.E.M.
3. The Stone Roses
4. Beastie Boys
5. Pixies
6. A Tribe Called Quest
7. Jellyfish
8. Depeche Mode
9. Dave Matthews Band
10. The Decemberists
11. The Smiths
12. Ian MacKaye
13. Nirvana
14. Grateful Dead
15. The Mamas & The Papas
16. Natalie Merchant
17. The Sundays
18. Slayer
19. Sinéad O’Conner
20. Sonic Youth
21. New Order
22. Joy Division
23. Bjork
24. Rage Against The Machine
25. The Breeders
26. Go-Gos
27. Bob Marley
28. Glenn Danzig
29. Mike Watt
30. King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard
31. Jenny Lewis
32. Fishbone
33. Siouxsie & The Banshees
34. Public Enemy
35. The Bangles
36. Black Flag
37. Joni Mitchell
38. Otis Redding
39. Marvin Gaye
40. Neko Case
41. Sleater-Kinney
42. Pj Harvey
43. Cocteau Twins
44. De La Soul
45. My Bloody Valentine
46. Velvet Underground
47. Talking Heads
48. The Beatles
49. Oasis
50. Bruce Willis

Updated. I can’t believe i forgot to put Jellyfish.

I'm just seeing this...as much as I love lists and rankings, this feels like a herculean task. wow.
not gonna stop me from trying tho...

1. Nils Frahm
2. Silver Jews / Purple Mountains
3. The National
4. Nina Simone
5. Talk Talk
6. Morphine
7. Ola Podrida / David Wingo / The Wooden Birds
8. Elliott Smith
9. Aesop Rock
10. Interpol
11. Jeff Buckley
12. Run the Jewels
13. Damien Jurado
14. Modest Mouse
15. Talking Heads
16. Tom Waits
17. Songs:Ohia / Magnolia Electric Co.
18. El Buho
19. Radiohead
20. The Polish Ambassador
21. Sylvan Esso
22. Death Cab for Cutie / The Postal Service
23. Marvin Gaye
24. Gorillaz
25. Norah Jones
26. Nick Cave
27. The Smiths / Morrissey / Johnny Marr
28. Bill Callahan
29. Hania Rani
30. Black Star / Mos Def / Talib Kweli
31. A Tribe Called Quest
32. Townes van Zandt
33. Dire Straits
34. Arctic Monkeys
35. Kendrick Lamar
36. Jerry Jeff Walker
37. Spoon
38. Frank Turner
39. Portishead
40. Khruangbin
41. Miles Davis
42. Mazzy Star
43. Beck
44. Sun Kil Moon / Red House Painters
45. Fleetwood Mac
46. Nick Drake
47. Men I Trust
48. Johnathan Richman / The Modern Lovers
49. Andrew Bird
50. Regina Spektor

ya...that's probably about right

Glad that uploading of images has been granted to us once again! Below is the collage of my top50 artists that I mentioned earlier. Like others have done, I went for artists that influenced me most to the present day instead of rationalizing the subjective greatest artists. With that, I have many of you to thank.
Perhaps you can pick out several of these from the photos alone. Spoiler below contains list.

Top50Artists.png

1) Julia Holter
2) Godspeed You! Black Emperor
3) Björk
4) Stereolab
5) Kate Bush
6) Grouper
7) Kendrick Lamar
8) Aphex Twin
9) Madonna
10) Portishead

11) Hiroshi Yoshimura
12) Alice Coltrane
13) D'Angelo
14) Swans
15) Kraftwerk
16) Ichiko Aoba
17) Can
18) Low
19) Daft Punk
20) Broadcast

21) Gigi Masin
22) Lingua Ignota
23) Tim Hecker
24) Talking Heads
25) Fugazi
26) Brian Eno
27) PJ Harvey
28) Ryuichi Sakamoto
29) Talk Talk
30) Dead Can Dance

31) Modest Mouse
32) SOPHIE
33) Melvins
34) Angel Olsen
35) MF DOOM
36) Nujabes
37) Arthur Russell
38) John Coltrane
39) Opeth
40) Manuel Göttsching

41) Caroline Polachek
42) Slowdive
43) Prince
44) Radiohead
45) Grimes
46) Joanna Newsom
47) Mr. Bungle
48) Little Simz
49) Laurie Spiegel
50) Akiko Yano

I should probably tally this up. Anyone else want to participate? I'll give folks to the end of next week to say they are interested and then I'll set a deadline and then I'll tally (maybewhoknowsprobablynotwhothefuckamikiddingyouguysexpectalotofmeconsideringthatmyfollowthroughforyouguyshasbeenshit)

I should probably tally this up. Anyone else want to participate? I'll give folks to the end of next week to say they are interested and then I'll set a deadline and then I'll tally (maybewhoknowsprobablynotwhothefuckamikiddingyouguysexpectalotofmeconsideringthatmyfollowthroughforyouguyshasbeenshit)

I was thinking of revisiting mine and updating it.

Sonic Waiting GIFs | Tenor

Back