New Music Friday!

I also ordered from Kung Fu, but the deluxe. I received a shipping confirmation last night around 8PM, so hopefully you get the same email soon, if you haven't already.

Even though it's more expensive, and on black vinyl, I'm kinda surprised the deluxe that is numbered and includes a signed photo print is still available.

Anyone ever check in about this to confirm if the 2LP version is gonna be 45rpm 🤞?
Mine arrived yesterday--it is indeed 45rpm. The photo print is like a postcard and signed and numbered on the back (I don't think the record itself is numbered)

Happy Julia Holter Day!! 🎵

I avoided all the singles for this album and just finished my first full listen straight through. Something in the Room She Moves, the newest LP from Julia Holter, is truly a lovely album. It's my most anticipated of the year so far. It's her first LP since 2018's  Aviary (my AOTY that year). At 10 tracks and 54 minutes, I think I've found some of the best songs she's written. Right now the title track is probably my favourite, but this is only after one listen. With 2024 starting off so slow with quality new music releases (for me anyway), the bar hasn't been set very high. Until now, that is. SitRSM is definitely my album to beat for the year right now.

Calling 📞 @Rip_City

Currently I'm very meh on the Adrianne Lenker. Didn't do anything for me...
Unfortunately, I feel the same.. AL is a great singer and songwriter, mind you, and I was really looking forward to this one. But I grew bored with it almost immediately. Is it a bad album? Definitely not. I'm sure a lot of folks will connect with this one in some way. Just not for me this time 🫤 (2020's Songs made my AOTY list that year).

Ruined is like one of the best songs on the album!
Unfortunately, I feel the same.. AL is a great singer and songwriter, mind you, and I was really looking forward to this one. But I grew bored with it almost immediately. Is it a bad album? Definitely not. I'm sure a lot of folks will connect with this one in some way. Just not for me this time 🫤 (2020's Songs made my AOTY list that year).
Guess I REALLY didn't like the album then lmao. I thought Ruined was incredibly repetitive and the hook was... kind of annoying

and I'm a big Adrianne Lenker fan, even met her twice, I showed up hours early to sit front pew for her LA cathedral show and I've seen her in Big Thief 3 times now but yeah this album went in one ear and out the other. I'm bummed! Oh well.

Happy Julia Holter Day!! 🎵

I avoided all the singles for this album and just finished my first full listen straight through. Something in the Room She Moves, the newest LP from Julia Holter, is truly a lovely album. It's my most anticipated of the year so far. It's her first LP since 2018's  Aviary (my AOTY that year). At 10 tracks and 54 minutes, I think I've found some of the best songs she's written. Right now the title track is probably my favourite, but this is only after one listen. With 2024 starting off so slow with quality new music releases (for me anyway), the bar hasn't been set very high. Until now, that is. SitRSM is definitely my album to beat for the year right now.

Agree with all of the above, except "Talking to the Whisper" is my favorite. I love all of the songs.

I'm struggling to find ten albums I would consider for my year-end top50 in this Q1. This month has helped a little. Admittedly, I haven't listened to as much as previous years, and still have a handful from prior weeks and (obviously) today to try out.

In the time leading up to seeing her perform in May, I will have to reevaluate my Julia studio albums ranking after visiting Japan (going there in early April).

Agree with all of the above, except "Talking to the Whisper" is my favorite. I love all of the songs.

I'm struggling to find ten albums I would consider for my year-end top50 in this Q1. This month has helped a little. Admittedly, I haven't listened to as much as previous years, and still have a handful from prior weeks and (obviously) today to try out.

In the time leading up to seeing her perform in May, I will have to reevaluate my Julia studio albums ranking after visiting Japan (going there in early April).
YOUR BACK!!’

I was beginning to worry you’d been eaten by wolves!

This Friday has been a treasure! I absolutely went to town at a couple different record stores and spent way too much money. But I picked up the new Waxatchee, Rosali, and Sierra Ferrell and I would say I am 3 for 3. All are excellent and all will likely end up being some of my favorites of 2024.

I went in completely blind on the Sierra Ferrell’s new one but I am listening to it now and theirs isn’t a bad cut on the entire record.

Last edited:
Back