New Music Friday!

Yeah, it certainly was a choice. Her last album cover fits her musical stylings much more aptly.
View attachment 198234
This one seems fine, nothing about it seems like it would detract from the music. But if this new album didn't get a Stereogum seal of approval I would actively avoid listening to it based on the artwork alone.

This one seems fine, nothing about it seems like it would detract from the music. But if this new album didn't get a Stereogum seal of approval I would actively avoid listening to it based on the artwork alone.
I agree with these comments about the crazy album cover. It is very distracting, especially given the beautiful singles she's released from it so far.

I will say though, I bet she has an amazing sense of humor, bc that album cover is also hilarious.

It’s weird how there is something vaguely unsettling about having their smiling face partially obscured by greenery would appear so off putting but that is what happens here.

It’s weird how there is something vaguely unsettling about having their smiling face partially obscured by greenery would appear so off putting but that is what happens here.
I think the greenery might be helping! I shudder to think what the image would look like with just the face.

I mean this reminds me of when I take absolutely absurd and goofy selfies to then send to my nephews or whatever. They think it's funny. But for an album cover? Bold move!

That’s not just a regular smiling face though…
That’s the things, its not but I think the greenery make more unsettling. It’s hard to say if she was purposefully trying to make a face or if, the wide-eyed downward gaze with the mouth agape smile; was more candid. It feels a bit like the face I would make if I saw a kitten with a fluffy tail rub up against my leg.

That’s the things, its not but I think the greenery make more unsettling. It’s hard to say if she was purposefully trying to make a face or if, the wide-eyed downward gaze with the mouth agape smile; was more candid. It feels a bit like the face I would make if I saw a kitten with a fluffy tail rub up against my leg.
I bet Rosali would love the fact that we are digging deep into our interpretations of the album art. Certainly that's part of the point.

Also, I'm really enjoy this myself, since that's been an image I can't unsee. Sometimes it pops into mind and I cringe, other times I chuckle.

Life must be fun at your house…

Radar 📡 List for 3/22:

Elbow - Audio Vertigo
Empress Of - For Your Consideration
GOSSIP - Real Power
Julia Holter - Something in the Room She Moves
Hozier - Unheard (EP)
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Glasgow Eyes
Adrianne Lenker – Bright Future
Aofie O’Donovan – All My Friends
Emma Ruth Rundle - Some Heavy Demos
Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood

My Julie Holter and Waxahatchee records are on their way. I've only listened to one single from each, but they remain two of my most anticipated of the year. Also looking forward to Adrianne Lenker, but I did not pre-order that one.
Which Waxahatchee did you order? I ordered the Blue Wave vinyl from Kung Fu and I don't have tracking yet.

Radar 📡 List for 3/22:

Elbow - Audio Vertigo
Empress Of - For Your Consideration
GOSSIP - Real Power
Julia Holter - Something in the Room She Moves
Hozier - Unheard (EP)
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Glasgow Eyes
Adrianne Lenker – Bright Future
Aofie O’Donovan – All My Friends
Emma Ruth Rundle - Some Heavy Demos
Waxahatchee - Tigers Blood
This is a wonderful (and large) list that I see includes Waxahatchee and Sierra Ferrell but there has been a bit of an oversight by omitting Rosali - Bite Down. On a big day with lots of great albums Rosali is one of the albums I am most excited for.

Which Waxahatchee did you order? I ordered the Blue Wave vinyl from Kung Fu and I don't have tracking yet.
I also ordered from Kung Fu, but the deluxe. I received a shipping confirmation last night around 8PM, so hopefully you get the same email soon, if you haven't already.

Even though it's more expensive, and on black vinyl, I'm kinda surprised the deluxe that is numbered and includes a signed photo print is still available.

Anyone ever check in about this to confirm if the 2LP version is gonna be 45rpm 🤞?

Last edited:
I also ordered from Kung Fu, but the deluxe. I received a shipping confirmation last night around 8PM, so hopefully you get the same email soon, if you haven't already.

Even though it's more expensive, and on black vinyl, I'm kinda surprised the deluxe that is numbered and includes a signed photo print is still available.

Anyone ever check in about this to confirm if the 2LP version is gonna be 45rpm 🤞?
Yep, got my Kung Fu confirm last night and they are using USPS priority so says it will arrive by tomorrow! Can't wait. I only listened to two of the singles, one time each, so basically going in cold.

Happy Julia Holter Day!! 🎵

I avoided all the singles for this album and just finished my first full listen straight through. Something in the Room She Moves, the newest LP from Julia Holter, is truly a lovely album. It's my most anticipated of the year so far. It's her first LP since 2018's  Aviary (my AOTY that year). At 10 tracks and 54 minutes, I think I've found some of the best songs she's written. Right now the title track is probably my favourite, but this is only after one listen. With 2024 starting off so slow with quality new music releases (for me anyway), the bar hasn't been set very high. Until now, that is. SitRSM is definitely my album to beat for the year right now.

Back