Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Rolling out those new variant-specific boosters every hundred days :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, not a moment too soon. My parents, my brother and his wife, and two of my employees all have Covid right now. And I just got a notification of the third positive case in my son's daycare class just since Thursday.

Anyone else feeling like we're headed into a very rough fall/winter period this year?
Yes, I do. I think we have never taken this seriously enough.
I think that as covid gains transmissibility, it loses virulence….at least that’s been the case so far. Not saying people won’t be seriously affected, just that in general it shouldn’t be as severe. But what do I know….
I’m still not convinced that the impacts on the immune system and the cardiovascular system post-Covid are getting lessened. We are seeing a rash of cardiovascular disease in younger cohorts and I am not sure if this is echoes of 2020 Covid that we are finally seeing the impact of, or if this is from the waves after. There is simply not enough study on this topic, but we are seeing it in our data on the health insurance end.

I’m still not convinced that the impacts on the immune system and the cardiovascular system post-Covid are getting lessened. We are seeing a rash of cardiovascular disease in younger cohorts and I am not sure if this is echoes of 2020 Covid that we are finally seeing the impact of, or if this is from the waves after. There is simply not enough study on this topic, but we are seeing it in our data on the health insurance end.

My step father's brother has long covid. One of the symptoms he developed was Afib. Also 2 years later, he still can't taste or smell.

My step father's brother has long covid. One of the symptoms he developed was Afib. Also 2 years later, he still can't taste or smell.
Yeah it’s crazy how devastating the delta variant was and continues to be.

agreed that we don’t know the longer term effects of Covid (somewhat excepting delta)….what I intended to convey was that as Covid gains transmissibility, the newer variants don’t seem to get people as acutely ill as the early variants, namely delta.

Massachusetts is currently at an 11% positivity rate.

With that said, in the local news this morning one school is going back to remote learning due to getting hit hard by Covid.

I'm no longer working on a unit anymore so I don't have any personal data, but it feels that there is an increase of Covid patients at my hospital. More often when I have to call a nurse about someone's telemetry they don't answer their phone because they are in a covid room - or someone else is covering their other patients when they go in a covid room.

I also work in a very enclosed area with 4 others - some of whom have had covid multiple times. I still have yet to have it. (that I know of)

I'm no longer working on a unit anymore so I don't have any personal data, but it feels that there is an increase of Covid patients at my hospital. More often when I have to call a nurse about someone's telemetry they don't answer their phone because they are in a covid room - or someone else is covering their other patients when they go in a covid room.

I also work in a very enclosed area with 4 others - some of whom have had covid multiple times. I still have yet to have it. (that I know of)
Same at my wife's hospital, seems to be getting worse every day. They're back to full masks and gear at all times.

Getting a booster looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass for me.

Because the public health emergency is over, the the covid vaccinations are now classified as "voluntary" just like flu-shots. This means I can only get it at a in-network provider. Which around me is Walmart, Sam's Club or Costco.

Unlike the flu-shot, I can not get it at the doctors office. I wonder why they don't offer it.

Also, what's the deal with no out-of-network coverage for things classified as "voluntary". My insurance has out-of-network coverage and nothing in the policy in plain site says anything about "voluntary". But as I have learned the last couple of years, the flu-shot is not covered at CVS because of this fact. They tell me it's not considered medically necessary so there is no requirement for them to cover it out-of-network.

Getting a booster looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass for me.

Because the public health emergency is over, the the covid vaccinations are now classified as "voluntary" just like flu-shots. This means I can only get it at a in-network provider. Which around me is Walmart, Sam's Club or Costco.

Unlike the flu-shot, I can not get it at the doctors office. I wonder why they don't offer it.

Also, what's the deal with no out-of-network coverage for things classified as "voluntary". My insurance has out-of-network coverage and nothing in the policy in plain site says anything about "voluntary". But as I have learned the last couple of years, the flu-shot is not covered at CVS because of this fact. They tell me it's not considered medically necessary so there is no requirement for them to cover it out-of-network.
yeah... my health insurance is through CVS Caremark so I had to pay $60 for a flu shot because I went to Walgreens by my house. I could have gone across town to a CVS to get the Flu shot separately, but I was already there at Walgreens, and I'd have to schedule a whole new appointment online for a different day at CVS. The Covid shot was free, however, with my insurance but not the flu shot. I had recently changed my insurance to be a higher deductable because I rarely use it for anything and wanted a cheaper plan. I think that may have caused the change because my Fiance, who is in the same insurance network, but her own plan, didn't have to pay. Luckily I can reimburse through my HSA savings account. Either way it was really annoying.

I just got my booster yesterday when I got my physical. I lucked out. My doctors office just got in and started offering the covid vaccine for the first time on Monday. Previously, you could not get the covid shot through them ever.

I got the new booster.

Like the last two Moderna boosters, my arm is sore, but nowhere near as bad this time. However, I have an odd new side effect today. My scalp is sore. If I run my hand through my hair, my salp at the root of my hair aches / is painful. It's the weirdest thing.

I just got my booster yesterday when I got my physical. I lucked out. My doctors office just got in and started offering the covid vaccine for the first time on Monday. Previously, you could not get the covid shot through them ever.

I got the new booster.

Like the last two Moderna boosters, my arm is sore, but nowhere near as bad this time. However, I have an odd new side effect today. My scalp is sore. If I run my hand through my hair, my salp at the root of my hair aches / is painful. It's the weirdest thing.

I just took an appointment to get it done November 9 along with the flu shot. I was already doing flu shots every year since getting incredibly wiped by influenza about 20 years ago. That was so bad I want to put any advantage on my side. I guess COVID is part of the annual routine now too.

I just took an appointment to get it done November 9 along with the flu shot. I was already doing flu shots every year since getting incredibly wiped by influenza about 20 years ago. That was so bad I want to put any advantage on my side. I guess COVID is part of the annual routine now too.
Someday soon you might be able to add an annual Alzheimer’s injection to the list.

A shot a year keeps the amyloid clear!

So my question now is…I finally got Covid about a month ago now. I had to hold off getting the new booster. When should I / can I get the booster? I went ahead and got my flu shot this week.

So my question now is…I finally got Covid about a month ago now. I had to hold off getting the new booster. When should I / can I get the booster? I went ahead and got my flu shot this week.

You could get a booster now, you shouldn't have issues and it would probably help but it wouldn't be the most efficient. Basically, COVID itself acts like a booster and gives you protection for a while. Timing your vaccine booster for when that protection starts to wane would be the most efficient, especially if you don't plan on doing it again for a year. So maybe as early as a month from now but probably better 2-3 months from now? 3 months after the start of your COVID seems to be the generally recommended delay.

I am somewhat immunocompromised, and my allergist / immunologist advised me not to get the covid / flu vax at the same time. I'm still going through allergy shots (in my 4th year and hopefully stopping next spring) so I also have to allow time between monthly allergy injections and other shots. Getting the flu shot next week then need to find an appt for a covid booster. I've only had three covid shots, and did catch covid in July 2022. When I had bloodwork done at my annual physical a few months later, the number of covid antibodies in my blood was literally off the charts. (I've not had that test run again since last fall)

My husband's physician (same practice) thinks that's meaningless, my doc said I was well protected. I had planned to get a covid shot in the spring, but just never got around to it. Definitely going to as soon as I can schedule it in between other shots.

To date, I've never done a flue shot, but I'll be going for my next COVID booster next week. Wife got hers a few hours ago and we're taking the 2-year-old in an hour and a half. My wife originally wanted us to go together, but I figure all three of us on the same day might not be ideal...

Back