Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Welp, my wife caught the ‘rona last week. She felt fine after a day of extreme lethargy and aches. We’re very lucky as well as vaccinated, and at this point she’s just feeling stir crazy.

I’m still testing negative. We’re trying to stay separate in a one-bedroom apartment, masking when we need to cross into one another’s space. There’s a part of me which wishes I’d test positive so we can just hunker down together. It especially sucks since it could take up to 12 days after exposure for me to test positive, so I won’t really know if I’m out of the woods for a while.

It’s also mega messy as to what rules I/she/we should follow; for example, when I mentioned the above wish, she said that’d just extend her quarantine.

A story on long covid, how many are estimated to be out of the workforce due to it, and the broken system that has left them in limbo on whether or not they sill get social security disability insurance. Applications are backlogged years and applicants can't get any info / updates on the status of their applications.

Welp, my wife caught the ‘rona last week. She felt fine after a day of extreme lethargy and aches. We’re very lucky as well as vaccinated, and at this point she’s just feeling stir crazy.

I’m still testing negative. We’re trying to stay separate in a one-bedroom apartment, masking when we need to cross into one another’s space. There’s a part of me which wishes I’d test positive so we can just hunker down together. It especially sucks since it could take up to 12 days after exposure for me to test positive, so I won’t really know if I’m out of the woods for a while.

It’s also mega messy as to what rules I/she/we should follow; for example, when I mentioned the above wish, she said that’d just extend her quarantine.
uh, it's been a bit more than a week, so i guess it's a little late for encouragement, but just fyi that i shared house with two people that caught it (including my youngest) and no one else caught it, so it's doable. I hope you're still doing alright

A story on long covid, how many are estimated to be out of the workforce due to it, and the broken system that has left them in limbo on whether or not they sill get social security disability insurance. Applications are backlogged years and applicants can't get any info / updates on the status of their applications.
I am unsurprised that there's no support for newly disabled. There's barely support for the disabled we've got, much less any infrastructure or plan for thousands more just suddenly becoming disabled in new and complicated ways. The disability support structure in the US goes out of it's way to keep the disabled in poverty, over and over, which a whole bunch of new people are about to be surprised to learn. ("what do you mean I can't have a savings account with more than 2000 dollars in it or I'll lose my disability? I can't have savings at all?")

I am unsurprised that there's no support for newly disabled. There's barely support for the disabled we've got, much less any infrastructure or plan for thousands more just suddenly becoming disabled in new and complicated ways. The disability support structure in the US goes out of it's way to keep the disabled in poverty, over and over, which a whole bunch of new people are about to be surprised to learn. ("what do you mean I can't have a savings account with more than 2000 dollars in it or I'll lose my disability? I can't have savings at all?")

Yup.

My step father just that when working on putting his will together. He was going to leave his money to his sister, who is on disability, because he thought she could use it. But found out from the lawyer that being doing so, his sister would lose her disability if she ever inherited his money. Not just the disability pay, but also her health benefits which people on disability often find more important than the pay.

Yup.

My step father just that when working on putting his will together. He was going to leave his money to his sister, who is on disability, because he thought she could use it. But found out from the lawyer that being doing so, his sister would lose her disability if she ever inherited his money. Not just the disability pay, but also her health benefits which people on disability often find more important than the pay.
I have a friend who had to turn down several jobs she was both qualified for and would have loved to do because they put her just over the limit and she'd have lost her healthcare benefits, and the pay was not enough to make for it.

I have a friend who had to turn down several jobs she was both qualified for and would have loved to do because they put her just over the limit and she'd have lost her healthcare benefits, and the pay was not enough to make for it.
I have a friend with 2 girls on the spectrum who need a special school that would cost them $30k/year/child. She has turned down several jobs because she can’t loose Medicaid for her kids. The jobs she could get wouldn’t be enough to cover their school and any other lost benefits.

Also this is quite an interesting turn. I need to see if I can find any more information but this is the Wall Street Journal, which usually is pretty good about its sources.

The Boston Globe published an interview with Fauci on Sunday. Here is part of it.

Are we ever going to know the definitive origin of COVID? And did authorities mishandle the question of whether it was from a Wuhan lab leak?

The lab leak issue was always a possible explanation. Go back and look at my unredacted e-mails. I was the one that said, “Let’s look into this. It’s really important.” And yet there’s this meme out there that I tried to suppress the lab-leak theory, which is ludicrous. Go look at the [expletive] e-mails. Unbelievable! Holy smokes!

If you look at the history of evolving outbreaks, 75 to 80 percent of them are zoonotic, jumping species [from animals to humans]: HIV, Ebola, influenza, Zika, MERS. Could it have been a lab leak? Yeah, but what is the evidence for it? The evidence is 2,000 tweets that said it should be. What is the evidence for it being a spillover [from animals to humans]? Some very unbiased, molecular evolutionary virologists from five or six different countries have examined it, put it in the peer-reviewed literature and feel, even though it isn’t 100 percent, it is much, much more likely that it’s a natural spillover.

Now, will we ever know? The only way we’ll know is if China opens up and we get American scientists, Canadian scientists, Australian scientists to go there and do the kind of surveillance in the wild. But the problem is that they’ve attacked the Chinese so badly. The Chinese authorities act suspicious, even when they have nothing to hide. But if you look at the viruses that the Wuhan investigators were working with, anybody who even knows a little bit about virology will tell you that it would be molecularly impossible to turn [those viruses] into this virus. Even if you deliberately try to do it, you couldn’t do it. That’s a fact.

Last edited:
uh, it's been a bit more than a week, so i guess it's a little late for encouragement, but just fyi that i shared house with two people that caught it (including my youngest) and no one else caught it, so it's doable. I hope you're still doing alright
Thanks for checking in! We stayed masked when crossing paths, then stopped stressing after a week or so (and I had nothing on my calendar), and I still didn’t catch it (knock on wood)

I have a friend with 2 girls on the spectrum who need a special school that would cost them $30k/year/child. She has turned down several jobs because she can’t loose Medicaid for her kids. The jobs she could get wouldn’t be enough to cover their school and any other lost benefits.

Also this is quite an interesting turn. I need to see if I can find any more information but this is the Wall Street Journal, which usually is pretty good about its sources.

But since it's "most likely" with a "low confidence," and from just one source with many others still maintaining the wild transmission of some kind most likely, I don't see any reason to change my degree of confidence in anything until there is more or better info (which may never come because of the Chinese government).

Y'all.......f*ck

Findings This cohort study of 18 355 infants delivered after February 2020 found that male but not female offspring born to mothers with a positive SARS-CoV-2 polymerase chain reaction test result during pregnancy were more likely to receive a neurodevelopmental diagnosis in the first 12 months after delivery, even after accounting for preterm delivery.

Meaning These findings suggest that male offspring exposed to SARS-CoV-2 in utero may be at increased risk for neurodevelopmental disorders.

Of the 883 SARS-CoV-2–exposed offspring, 26 (2.9%) received a neurodevelopmental diagnosis during the first 12 months of life (this included 0 of 13 whose mothers were partially or fully vaccinated at time of infection) compared with 317 (1.8%) among the SARS-CoV-2–unexposed offspring

Y'all.......f*ck

Findings This cohort study of 18 355 infants delivered after February 2020 found that male but not female offspring born to mothers with a positive SARS-CoV-2 polymerase chain reaction test result during pregnancy were more likely to receive a neurodevelopmental diagnosis in the first 12 months after delivery, even after accounting for preterm delivery.

Meaning These findings suggest that male offspring exposed to SARS-CoV-2 in utero may be at increased risk for neurodevelopmental disorders.

Of the 883 SARS-CoV-2–exposed offspring, 26 (2.9%) received a neurodevelopmental diagnosis during the first 12 months of life (this included 0 of 13 whose mothers were partially or fully vaccinated at time of infection) compared with 317 (1.8%) among the SARS-CoV-2–unexposed offspring
Has the "pro life" "It's just the flu" crowd commented yet?

Back