Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Y'all.......f*ck

Findings This cohort study of 18 355 infants delivered after February 2020 found that male but not female offspring born to mothers with a positive SARS-CoV-2 polymerase chain reaction test result during pregnancy were more likely to receive a neurodevelopmental diagnosis in the first 12 months after delivery, even after accounting for preterm delivery.

Meaning These findings suggest that male offspring exposed to SARS-CoV-2 in utero may be at increased risk for neurodevelopmental disorders.

Of the 883 SARS-CoV-2–exposed offspring, 26 (2.9%) received a neurodevelopmental diagnosis during the first 12 months of life (this included 0 of 13 whose mothers were partially or fully vaccinated at time of infection) compared with 317 (1.8%) among the SARS-CoV-2–unexposed offspring
Am I understanding this right? Mothers with covid have a higher risk of having boys DX'd with neurodev in the first year, but this study did not find that correlation in any of the vaccinated mothers?

Am I understanding this right? Mothers with covid have a higher risk of having boys DX'd with neurodev in the first year, but this study did not find that correlation in any of the vaccinated mothers?
That's how I'm reading it (and hoping) as my wife was vaxxed when she was pregnant and had covid

Just got an email notifying us (where I work) of the following changes to our benefits effective after May 11th due to the COVID Public Health Emergency (PHE) ending.

• COVID vaccines will continued to be covered at 100% from in-network providers only. You will no longer be able to get the COVID from out-of-network providers.
  • COVID testing will be covered according to the appropriate in or out-of-network cost-sharing rather than at 100%.
  • Over-the-Counter (OTC) COVID testing supplies will no longer be covered.

So, from this, I'm gathering I will no longer be able to get COVID vaccines at CVS. Like I can no longer get the Flu Shot after United Healthcare listed CVS as out-of-network a little over 2 years ago after CVS acquired Aetna, a competitor of United Healthcare. I'm up to date on my COVID Boosters, so I don't have to worry about this until the next booster is authorized.

Wow...
Incidence rates of type 1 diabetes were compared in 2018-2019 to 2020-2021 and were analyzed in conjunction with documented COVID-19 diagnoses. The frequency of a first diagnosis of COVID-19 ranged from 0.18% in January to March 2020 to 4.79% in October to December 2021.

The incidence rate of type 1 diabetes was 29.9 (95% binomial confidence interval [CI,] 27.7 to 32.2; 705 cases) per 100,000 person-years between January 2020 and December 2021, compared to 19.5 (95% CI, 17.8 to 21.4; 460 cases) between January 2018 and December 2019 (P<.001).

Diagnoses of type 1 diabetes increased following documented COVID-19 infection. The incidence rate of type 1 diabetes during the pandemic was 28.5 (95% CI, 26.3 to 30.9; 620 cases) per 100,000 person-years in the absence of a COVID-19 diagnosis made before or at the same time as a diabetes diagnosis.

In comparison, the incidence rate of type 1 diabetes was 55.2 (95% CI, 37.1 to 81.5; 27 cases) per 100,000 person-years in the same 3 months as a COVID-19 diagnosis (P<.001 vs COVID-19 negative). Six to 15 months after COVID-19 diagnosis, the diabetes incidence rate was 50.7 (95% CI, 34.3 to 74.4; 28 cases).

Let’s just go ahead and ditch gloves, hair nets, and hand washing while we’re at it.

There is a summer uptick of COVID-19. We are likely in another wave that is still rising, likely to one of the highest peaks yet by some estimates.

But with that said, we don't have the data to back that up. We are only making estimates based on samples of the population as very few people are taking covid tests these days. They are just saying feeling sick and writing it off as a cold or the flu and that's that.

The fact that Free COVID-19 tests are no longer available my be playing a large role in this. Also people are just jaded and this is the new normal. The expectation is to work through it and not quarantine. Continue life as normal. This is resulting in people who become sick taking maybe a day or two off from work if they are feeling really under the wether and if they have the sick time, but many are going into work sick and spreading COVID-19.

An other thing to note is contract tracing, and official numbers from states are no longer in existence because the public health emergency was declared over. There is no way as of right now to gauge just how many people have it. We just can estimate it's a lot people, and could be tracking to be the worse wave yet.

Rolling out those new variant-specific boosters every hundred days :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, not a moment too soon. My parents, my brother and his wife, and two of my employees all have Covid right now. And I just got a notification of the third positive case in my son's daycare class just since Thursday.

Anyone else feeling like we're headed into a very rough fall/winter period this year?

Anyone else feeling like we're headed into a very rough fall/winter period this year?
Definitely me. We got our first COVID notice from our daycare within the first two weeks. I'm trying to hold off on my vaccine this year until we get more into flu/COVID season like last year. (I think I got it in Oct/Nov). But being surrounded by teachers/people working in schools in my extended family it's only a matter of time.

Definitely me. We got our first COVID notice from our daycare within the first two weeks. I'm trying to hold off on my vaccine this year until we get more into flu/COVID season like last year. (I think I got it in Oct/Nov). But being surrounded by teachers/people working in schools in my extended family it's only a matter of time.
It was a good year of denial while it lasted.

Rolling out those new variant-specific boosters every hundred days :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, not a moment too soon. My parents, my brother and his wife, and two of my employees all have Covid right now. And I just got a notification of the third positive case in my son's daycare class just since Thursday.

I think that as covid gains transmissibility, it loses virulence….at least that’s been the case so far. Not saying people won’t be seriously affected, just that in general it shouldn’t be as severe. But what do I know….

I think that as covid gains transmissibility, it loses virulence….at least that’s been the case so far. Not saying people won’t be seriously affected, just that in general it shouldn’t be as severe. But what do I know….
Oh, that could be true, I don’t know. I was thinking more specifically (and selfishly) about the vagaries of childcare when 20 three year olds spend all day in the same room.

Back