Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

People suck
This is going to become a common occurrence across the country, wait and see. Again, COVID has been a pain beyond just the disease part of it, our previous leader gave every whack-a-do license to bring out their inner asshole whenever and wherever...............MERICA!

index.php

A decent news report relating to the misunderstanding and wrong conclusions being drawn from the use of the expression "waning immunity".

The Yelp page for this bar with the No Mask Policy is making me chuckle this morning. Love the Q&A.

For those who said Covid is not that bad. Well... It just surpassed the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic in total deaths.

For those who said Covid is not that bad. Well... It just surpassed the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic in total deaths.

So is the "it's just like the flu" narrative going to end?

(rhetorical question... of course not.)

Where this occurred isn’t too far from me. I’m appalled.
It´s sad that the whole politization ov COVID just eroded trust in medicine and doctors so much. These people do what they can to save lives and now eevrybody comes in with their own treatments cobbled from the web

'Desperate need' to get vaccines to Africa - Brown
'Desperate need' to get vaccines to Africa - Brown

"To allow this disease to spread uninhibited, in the poorest countries of the world and to leave people unprotected against it, is really a crime against humanity and it cannot be allowed to continue".
This is without a doubt the biggest tragedy. The western world is too obsessed with market share and not obsessed enough with saving humans.

Really trying to wrap my head around all of this. The vaccines don't seem to stop transmission, just bad symptoms:

Overall, 79% of the 233 inmates were fully vaccinated, and almost three-quarters of all inmates tested positive for SARS-CoV-2.

Within the subgroup, there was no significant difference in median interval between reported symptom onset and last positive RT-PCR test between vaccinated and unvaccinated people (9 vs 11, respectively). Among 58 specimens undergoing genomic sequencing, all were from the Delta variant.

Among fully vaccinated seronegative people, attack rates were significantly higher among those who received Pfizer versus the Moderna vaccine (85% vs 54%, P<0.001). But interestingly, 76% of fully vaccinated inmates who received the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine were vaccinated at least 4 months prior to the outbreak, while all the fully vaccinated Moderna recipients were vaccinated within 4 months of the outbreak.

"The high number of infections in vaccinated persons, comparable duration of positive RT-PCR test results after symptom onset regardless of vaccination status, and presence of infectious virus in specimens from both unvaccinated and vaccinated infected persons underscore the importance of implementing and maintaining multiple COVID-19 prevention strategies in settings where physical distancing is challenging, even when vaccination coverage is high," they wrote.

Really trying to wrap my head around all of this. The vaccines don't seem to stop transmission, just bad symptoms:

Overall, 79% of the 233 inmates were fully vaccinated, and almost three-quarters of all inmates tested positive for SARS-CoV-2.

Within the subgroup, there was no significant difference in median interval between reported symptom onset and last positive RT-PCR test between vaccinated and unvaccinated people (9 vs 11, respectively). Among 58 specimens undergoing genomic sequencing, all were from the Delta variant.

Among fully vaccinated seronegative people, attack rates were significantly higher among those who received Pfizer versus the Moderna vaccine (85% vs 54%, P<0.001). But interestingly, 76% of fully vaccinated inmates who received the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine were vaccinated at least 4 months prior to the outbreak, while all the fully vaccinated Moderna recipients were vaccinated within 4 months of the outbreak.

"The high number of infections in vaccinated persons, comparable duration of positive RT-PCR test results after symptom onset regardless of vaccination status, and presence of infectious virus in specimens from both unvaccinated and vaccinated infected persons underscore the importance of implementing and maintaining multiple COVID-19 prevention strategies in settings where physical distancing is challenging, even when vaccination coverage is high," they wrote.

To me it makes a little bit of sense that places like prisons where it's a population contained in close quarters would have more breakthrough infections. They're more likely to have prolonged exposure to the virus. I'm not quite sure this situation translates to real world scenarios where you're generally not exposed to a mass population of people 24 hours a day. But obviously I'm not virus expert. I still hang my hat on that most of those with severe infections are unvaccinated.

Headlines like these are so fucking irresponsible, and I see them everywhere. Infuriating.

People ask me why I got out of public health, and it's largely because it was too political. I saw people get promoted and appointed to positions that were questionable choices. Exhibit A:

Joseph Ladapo, MD, PhD, and Ryan Cole, MD, spread disinformation about COVID-19. Now they're in prominent public health positions.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) appointed Ladapo to the position of state Surgeon General on Tuesday, and commissioners of Idaho's largest county appointed Cole to its health board last week.

Ladapo has been known for his Wall Street Journal op-eds questioning COVID vaccines, masks, lockdowns, and more, while Cole is known for disparaging COVID vaccines and for not getting vaccinated himself.

As Florida Surgeon General, Ladapo will oversee the state's department of health. According to the Miami Herald, when asked whether Florida should be promoting vaccination, Ladapo said it "should be promoting good health, and vaccination isn't the only path for that. It's been treated almost like a religion, and that's just senseless."

Cole was appointed to the health board of Idaho's Ada County, where Boise is located, after it had let go another member over their support for pandemic restrictions, according to the Washington Post. That board member had held the position for 15 years and was a former president of the American Academy of Family Physicians.

Many wanted an epidemiologist endorsed by the Idaho Medical Association to take the seat, but Ada County Commissioners gave the job to Cole for his "outsider" perspective and his willingness to question medical norms, the Post reported.

Back