Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

A Texas doctor was fired for giving leftover vaccine doses to eligible people rather than discarding them.

Harris county says it was theft and that "HCPH also told Gokal he "should have instead thrown the vaccines away". He says it was because of giving "the vaccine to too many individuals with 'Indian' sounding names." And he was doing what any responsible medical profession would do. Get as many available doses out to those as eligible as fast as possible.

The theft is for the doses, but rather the resources of the staff being used to give the shots out. A grand jury heard this case and did not indict the Texas doctor.

A Texas doctor was fired for giving leftover vaccine doses to eligible people rather than discarding them.

Harris county says it was theft and that "HCPH also told Gokal he "should have instead thrown the vaccines away". He says it was because of giving "the vaccine to too many individuals with 'Indian' sounding names." And he was doing what any responsible medical profession would do. Get as many available doses out to those as eligible as fast as possible.

The theft is for the doses, but rather the resources of the staff being used to give the shots out. A grand jury heard this case and did not indict the Texas doctor.
I don't understand the theft claim, the vaccine's are free...EDIT: Oh, I misread your post. Even so, we're not paying these people to administer the doses, if someone is eligible, there was no theft. It's their job to vaccinate... and anyone eligible can get it for free... where was the theft?

I don't understand the theft claim, the vaccine's are free...EDIT: Oh, I misread your post. Even so, we're not paying these people to administer the doses, if someone is eligible, there was no theft. It's their job to vaccinate... and anyone eligible can get it for free... where was the theft?
Use of facilities, use of staff to administer shots and so on.

Essentially it's comparable to using your companies computers and software to complete freelance work. At least that's the argument they are trying to make.

Essentially, they are just being pricks about police, and are using it to terminate him. Likely for a different reason, they were looking for something to get him on.

To me it makes a little bit of sense that places like prisons where it's a population contained in close quarters would have more breakthrough infections. They're more likely to have prolonged exposure to the virus. I'm not quite sure this situation translates to real world scenarios where you're generally not exposed to a mass population of people 24 hours a day. But obviously I'm not virus expert. I still hang my hat on that most of those with severe infections are unvaccinated.
The more I think about this, the more it might make sense because of some research I read about and my old public health knowledge regarding increased HIV/AIDS prevalence in prison populations. Here's the crux of the matter:

A 36-year-old woman with advanced HIV carried the novel coronavirus for 216 days, during which the virus accumulated more than 30 mutations, a new study has found.

If more such cases are found, it raises the prospect that HIV infection could be a source of new variants simply because the patients could carry the virus for longer, Tulio de Oliveira, a geneticist at the University of KwaZulu-Natal in Durban and the study’s author, told the Times.

But it is probably the exception rather than the rule for people living for HIV, because prolonged infection requires severe immunocompromise, Dr Juan Ambrosini, associate professor of infectious diseases at the University of Barcelona, said. Indeed, the woman in the case study was immunosuppressed. The findings are important for the control of Covid-19 because these patients could be a continuous source of transmission and evolution of the virus, Ambrosini said.

If this is happening in Africa, I'm sure this is happening in prison populations, too. They keep saying that there is no reinfection, but I really do think there might be reinfection if you get a separate variant.

It´s sad that the whole politization ov COVID just eroded trust in medicine and doctors so much. These people do what they can to save lives and now eevrybody comes in with their own treatments cobbled from the web

A man went into a pharmacy in Sherbrooke QC a few days ago and started beating the nurse providing her time for vaccination. If that alone wasn't bad enough... Apparently, he wasn't happy his wife got vaccinated without his permission. The nurse was hospitalized but is ok. The man is still on the run.

Seriously, some people are nuts. It's essentially a religious fervor at this point.

School children are once again in the middle of the political debate over covid precautions. In some parts of the country precautions are being increased as cases surge in schools

While in others, I'm looking at your Florida, Ron Desantis signed an executive order allowing asymptomatic students to go to school after a positive test result. Though we know they can still spread COVID.

People ask me why I got out of public health, and it's largely because it was too political. I saw people get promoted and appointed to positions that were questionable choices. Exhibit A:

Joseph Ladapo, MD, PhD, and Ryan Cole, MD, spread disinformation about COVID-19. Now they're in prominent public health positions.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) appointed Ladapo to the position of state Surgeon General on Tuesday, and commissioners of Idaho's largest county appointed Cole to its health board last week.

Ladapo has been known for his Wall Street Journal op-eds questioning COVID vaccines, masks, lockdowns, and more, while Cole is known for disparaging COVID vaccines and for not getting vaccinated himself.

As Florida Surgeon General, Ladapo will oversee the state's department of health. According to the Miami Herald, when asked whether Florida should be promoting vaccination, Ladapo said it "should be promoting good health, and vaccination isn't the only path for that. It's been treated almost like a religion, and that's just senseless."

Cole was appointed to the health board of Idaho's Ada County, where Boise is located, after it had let go another member over their support for pandemic restrictions, according to the Washington Post. That board member had held the position for 15 years and was a former president of the American Academy of Family Physicians.

Many wanted an epidemiologist endorsed by the Idaho Medical Association to take the seat, but Ada County Commissioners gave the job to Cole for his "outsider" perspective and his willingness to question medical norms, the Post reported.

yeah, the dude's trash. the best thing you can say for him is he's definitely the lapdog that desantis wants in order to appease the base he's appealing to.

A man went into a pharmacy in Sherbrooke QC a few days ago and started beating the nurse providing her time for vaccination. If that alone wasn't bad enough... Apparently, he wasn't happy his wife got vaccinated without his permission. The nurse was hospitalized but is ok. The man is still on the run.

Seriously, some people are nuts. It's essentially a religious fervor at this point.

In germany a couple of days ago a man was denied Service in a Gas Station without a mask. He went home, got a gun and shot the 20 year old attendend that refused to serve him in the head. And now the anti-mask and anti-vaccine Chat groups are celebrating this as the beginning of the resistance and comparing him to Stauffenberg.
Edit: but those guys are really a fringe group over here, but they are getting more radical

In germany a couple of days ago a man was denied Service in a Gas Station without a mask. He went home, got a gun and shot the 20 year old attendend that refused to serve him in the head. And now the anti-mask and anti-vaccine Chat groups are celebrating this as the beginning of the resistance and comparing him to Stauffenberg.
Edit: but those guys are really a fringe group over here, but they are getting more radical
This is just depressingly sad.

This is a point I have been predicting. Not the specifics just a well defined point where it's clear that all rationale and prudence will be abandoned in favor of any capitulation. For the past few years I've been seeing a general trend of bad logic that requires bad faith to generate and then willful ignorance to perpetuate. It's the most outstandingly Darwinian thing we will witness in our lifetimes.

This is a point I have been predicting. Not the specifics just a well defined point where it's clear that all rationale and prudence will be abandoned in favor of any capitulation. For the past few years I've been seeing a general trend of bad logic that requires bad faith to generate and then willful ignorance to perpetuate. It's the most outstandingly Darwinian thing we will witness in our lifetimes.
Also, one of things that pisses me off most is the cognitive dissonance of saying the government or any institution can mandate vaccines because my body my choice but fervently pursue eliminating women's rights to their bodies. Like, if we're gonna review these vaccine mandates let's review this sue an abortion accomplice thing under the same auspices.

Also, one of things that pisses me off most is the cognitive dissonance of saying the government or any institution can mandate vaccines because my body my choice but fervently pursue eliminating women's rights to their bodies. Like, if we're gonna review these vaccine mandates let's review this sue an abortion accomplice thing under the same auspices.
Not to get too far into devil's advocate territory here, because I'm firmly pro-choice, but the counter argument here is "but what about the baby's body and choice", so this line of reasoning is going to fall on deaf ears.

Not to get too far into devil's advocate territory here, because I'm firmly pro-choice, but the counter argument here is "but what about the baby's body and choice", so this line of reasoning is going to fall on deaf ears.

I’d hope to god that you don’t formally go down that road jurisprudentially. We had a constitutional provision for over 30 years that gave the unborn the equal right to life as the mother and it was an absolute nightmare to work around. Thank God we had a referendum to overturn it a few years back.

I’d hope to god that you don’t formally go down that road jurisprudentially. We had a constitutional provision for over 30 years that gave the unborn the equal right to life as the mother and it was an absolute nightmare to work around. Thank God we had a referendum to overturn it a few years back.
I doubt that that particular argument would hold water in court; scientific consensus and medical jurisprudence is that the mother's life takes precedence and (at least in the judeo- part of) the judeo-christian tradition is that it's not a baby unless/until it can survive outside the mother. Legally (and I'm not a lawyer so I have, at best, a layman's understanding here) is that religious arguments won't float in a court, given the first amendment's religious proscription. Viz: "my god says you can't kill that baby" is nullified by "congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" etc.

I doubt that that particular argument would hold water in court; scientific consensus and medical jurisprudence is that the mother's life takes precedence and (at least in the judeo- part of) the judeo-christian tradition is that it's not a baby unless/until it can survive outside the mother. Legally (and I'm not a lawyer so I have, at best, a layman's understanding here) is that religious arguments won't float in a court, given the first amendment's religious proscription. Viz: "my god says you can't kill that baby" is nullified by "congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" etc.

It was depressingly a constitutional amendment here so the court was bound by it. It was a jurisprudencial nightmare, which created some weird laws and some hard situations where women’s lives were compromised. At least it’s now history.

Does the baby have the ability to make a choice at 6 weeks?

Biden mandate is a mistake

Booster shots cause more confusion

"We can't booster our way out"

5-12 year olds can finally be vaccinated and somehow that bad

Holy shit what did I miss and I dunno how the reception even is right now

Back