Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

In all seriousness, there was a pre-print published a month ago that looked at the range of antibodies in people post-SARS-CoV-2 infection and it has some interesting results. The upshot is that most people maintain strong immunity for a relative long term (well, at least 5 months, because that's all we can know so far), but some people lose a large part of their immunity.

The money shot was this diagram in Fig 5C showing the range of detected antibodies and T-cells in all of the tested individuals. Basically, if you're the grey or white dots, it's not impossible that you could catch COVID19 twice.

1607716567081.png

Have any of you seen ZdoggMD on YouTube of FB. It’s actually pretty good info about the virus and interpreting scientific information. Any of the real scientists here have any opinions?

Have any of you seen ZdoggMD on YouTube of FB. It’s actually pretty good info about the virus and interpreting scientific information. Any of the real scientists here have any opinions?

I don't know of him. We have a guy up here called the Pharmachien that "sets the record straight" on all kinds of medical/science topics. Constantly pisses off alternative pseudo-medicine folks. Is this a similar schtick? The more guys that can bring correct science to the masses, the better.

I don't know of him. We have a guy up here called the Pharmachien that "sets the record straight" on all kinds of medical/science topics. Constantly pisses off alternative pseudo-medicine folks. Is this a similar schtick? The more guys that can bring correct science to the masses, the better.
I have actual scientist friends, but most of them do not do this kind of science; I've been reading https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/ off and on in small batches (to, you know, keep from hyperventilating about imminent plague-related-death) -- /r/COVID19 being a subreddit dedicated to hard science articles and studies; no opinion answers, no joke answers, just 'here's a paper and let's talk about the science'.

I think he’s good because he explains the full context of the data that is under discussion. I just watched a video about the program in Iceland that kept it under control. He explained what they did. I find this type of stuff helpful because of lent people try to make comparasions to data sets and not under stand you can’t compare them because of the different contexts from which they were gathered. I’m looking a Sweeden specifically. People think that because there were no government mandates that people just carried on life as normal. Well they didn’t the population was complain to suggestions fro the government. Yea that won’t work here in the US.

@Turbo

another mistake I’ve seen is looking at the time over cases graph and saying look social distancing did nothing. Well you have to have a treatment group and a control group. If you don’t have that you can’t say that social distancing (treatment group) is not effective.

Comparing one group that recieved treatment and the treatment was removed is less effective because there is not data where where nobody recieved treatment. Without treatment you could see the same changes in cases over time, but at a much higher rate.

This was all the stuff I learned in my first class for grad school for counseling.

My kids school district is opening up for kids my sons age with all the typical protocols. My wife works as an independent contractor for the district and has said that staff have not been taking is seriously.

I’m a member of the school site council and the program they have open SPED kids have been on campus already. I asked if they have been tested. The VP said no. There is no testing protocols and there is no full time nurse at the school. They are relying on parents to be truthful when filling out a health protocol. That is it. The the VP said that it has been to shon that it is safe.

we have to rely on the truthfulness of uninsured and underinsured parents. And when a kid has the sniffles they need a test to renter. It takes 2 days to get a free test in our valley and that was before the spike. 280$ to pay for one of you don’t have insurance at the local urgent care. Meanwhile, some low income family has to loose 2 weeks of pay because their family was exposed. This whole process has need thought through as if everyone has endless resources. When really it should have been though about from the prospective of a family who has the least resources.

My kids school district is opening up for kids my sons age with all the typical protocols. My wife works as an independent contractor for the district and has said that staff have not been taking is seriously.

I’m a member of the school site council and the program they have open SPED kids have been on campus already. I asked if they have been tested. The VP said no. There is no testing protocols and there is no full time nurse at the school. They are relying on parents to be truthful when filling out a health protocol. That is it. The the VP said that it has been to shon that it is safe.

we have to rely on the truthfulness of uninsured and underinsured parents. And when a kid has the sniffles they need a test to renter. It takes 2 days to get a free test in our valley and that was before the spike. 280$ to pay for one of you don’t have insurance at the local urgent care. Meanwhile, some low income family has to loose 2 weeks of pay because their family was exposed. This whole process has need thought through as if everyone has endless resources. When really it should have been though about from the prospective of a family who has the least resources.

I am really considering attending the virtual school board meeting and discussing this.

Don't consider it, do it. We had that whole "everything will be cool!" and "kids are less susceptible!" peptalk when they opened up schools here in Miami-Dade County -- admittedly Gov. Deathsantis is positively tumescent with how much he does not give any fucks about people's actual welfare and how much he would like to impress Big Daddy Trump -- but, fully aware that this was bullshit, we stayed at virtual school and wonder of wonders, we made it a whole 4 days before some kid popped infected at the local elementary school and 2 days for the middle school to give us the call. Not a single week has gone by I don't get at least one call (two this week actually -- one student and one adult/staff/teacher) saying someone at school has self-reported as positive.

@Turbo

another mistake I’ve seen is looking at the time over cases graph and saying look social distancing did nothing. Well you have to have a treatment group and a control group. If you don’t have that you can’t say that social distancing (treatment group) is not effective.

Comparing one group that recieved treatment and the treatment was removed is less effective because there is not data where where nobody recieved treatment. Without treatment you could see the same changes in cases over time, but at a much higher rate.

This was all the stuff I learned in my first class for grad school for counseling.

My PhD advisor liked to say that the three most important things in research are controls, controls and more controls.

Don't consider it, do it. We had that whole "everything will be cool!" and "kids are less susceptible!" peptalk when they opened up schools here in Miami-Dade County -- admittedly Gov. Deathsantis is positively tumescent with how much he does not give any fucks about people's actual welfare and how much he would like to impress Big Daddy Trump -- but, fully aware that this was bullshit, we stayed at virtual school and wonder of wonders, we made it a whole 4 days before some kid popped infected at the local elementary school and 2 days for the middle school to give us the call. Not a single week has gone by I don't get at least one call (two this week actually -- one student and one adult/staff/teacher) saying someone at school has self-reported as positive.

I have already made back road contacts with teachers at the school and they are not happy. It was sprung on them before winter break. Trying to get parents organized to speak up at the next board meeting next week.

So we ( germany) tried a so-called "lockdown light" with basically just rrstaurant dining and entertainment closed, but are still at 20.000-30.000 new infections a day with around 500 deaths a day, so we are now going back to a full lockdown from Wednesday till at least January 10th with all schools, childcare, shops( except for necessities like food or pharmacies) etc. Closing down and strict regulations about how many people to meet over Xmas and new years. Also pyrotechnics sales are forbidden before new years to help release the additional strain of the pyrotechnics accidents every new years eve is putting on yhe icus.
Hope we can bring the numbers down.
Edited to 500 deathz

Last edited:

This truly saddens me. If we wanted to keep our society open like a couple nortic countries, we should also offer health care to any person that needs it free of charge. It is absolutely immoral to have people decide between sending their kids to school with a potential case of Covid or keeping their job so they can afford rent and food. Closing the school actively hurts these parents, and given that they probably have a lot more customer facing roles, their probability of infection is likely higher anyway. I saw several people appalled that anyone would send their kid anywhere with possible Covid symptoms, especially school, and I had to tell them to check their privilege. I get that they shouldn't send their kids to school sick, but they have no other option.
My PhD advisor liked to say that the three most important things in research are controls, controls and more controls.
My biostats advisor like to say that the three most important things in research are correct methods, correct methods and correlation does not equal causality.

This truly saddens me. If we wanted to keep our society open like a couple nortic countries, we should also offer health care to any person that needs it free of charge. It is absolutely immoral to have people decide between sending their kids to school with a potential case of Covid or keeping their job so they can afford rent and food. Closing the school actively hurts these parents, and given that they probably have a lot more customer facing roles, their probability of infection is likely higher anyway. I saw several people appalled that anyone would send their kid anywhere with possible Covid symptoms, especially school, and I had to tell them to check their privilege. I get that they shouldn't send their kids to school sick, but they have no other option.

This is the maddening thing. Lots of places where the job became a covid frontline (pharmacies, service jobs etc) that don't or won't offer sick time OR health insurance, just to screw them over twice after making it possible for them to get sick in the first place.

So we ( germany) tried a so-called "lockdown light" with basically just rrstaurant dining and entertainment closed, but are still at 20.000-30.000 new infections a day with around 5000 deaths a day, so we are now going back to a full lockdown from Wednesday till at least January 10th with all schools, childcare, shops( except for necessities like food or pharmacies) etc. Closing down and strict regulations about how many people to meet over Xmas and new years. Also pyrotechnics sales are forbidden before new years to help release the additional strain of the pyrotechnics accidents every new years eve is putting on yhe icus.
Hope we can bring the numbers down.
5000 deaths per day? If that’s true then that is insane but that sounds incredibly high.

Back