Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Got reports from the kids' school of multiple parents getting sick and one teacher. We pulled the kids for the rest of the year. They were supposed to stay with grandmother during part of their Christmas break but now they're stuck home because she is high risk. Tests for everybody and a nice new home stressor to negotiate. I am WFH for the rest of the year as a result but I will have to manage kids the entire day.

Ooof good luck. We're keeping my 1yo and 3yo home from daycare for three weeks, starting next week, to try and avoid the Christmas spread-- or at least the initial wave of it. I'll be primary parent, while trying to keep up with my writing duties during their naps.

We're lucky though. My wife still has her job and since I work for myself, I can be a little more flexible, although I am the primary earner so I can't exactly stop working. I know it's been talked about ad nauseum in the press, but I really wonder how many people have had to drop out of the labor force, and how many won't be able to get back in at their previous position-- and of course that burden's going to fall disproportionately on women.

I really wonder how many people have had to drop out of the labor force, and how many won't be able to get back in at their previous position-- and of course that burden's going to fall disproportionately on women.

Four times as many women as men dropped out of the labor force in September, roughly 865,000 women compared with 216,000 men. This validates predictions that the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on women—and the accompanying child care and school crises—would be severe. In July, a Washington Post article—titled, “Coronavirus child-care crisis will set women back a generation”—pointed out that “[o]ne out of four women who reported becoming unemployed during the pandemic said it was because of a lack of child care—twice the rate among men.”1
Data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s Household Pulse Survey collected between April 23, 2020, and August 31, 2020, found that, on average, 10 percent of working mothers reported not working each week because they were providing care to a child who was not in school or child care.25 In keeping with this finding, preliminary data from forthcoming research conducted at Northeastern University show that 13 percent of working parents either cut back their hours or stopped working due to a lack of child care.26 And a member survey conducted by Cleo, a company that supports working parents, found that 20 percent of working parents or their partner were considering leaving the workforce to provide child care.27 Analysis conducted by sociologists Liana Christin Landivar, Leah Ruppanner, William J. Scarborough, and Caitlyn Collins using Current Population Survey data found that reductions in labor force participation and work hours differed by age of the youngest child. They found that in April, during the peak of the first coronavirus wave, labor force participation was reduced by 3.2 percent among married mothers with a child under the age of 6; 4.3 percent among mothers with a child age 6 to 12; and 2.7 percent among mothers with a child age 13 to 17.28 Work hours, regardless of whether telecommuting or working an in-person job, were reduced by 1.8 hours for mothers with a child under the age of 6; 1.4 hours for mothers with a child age 6 to 12; and 1.3 hours for mothers with a child age 13 to 17.

• Based on the September monthly jobs report, women had accounted for 53.9% of overall net job loss since the pandemic began.5
Of the 12.1 million US jobs lost by women between February and April, only a little more than half of those jobs have returned as of September 2020.6

Women have been disproportionately impacted due to:

• High job loss in “contact-intensive” industries such as Leisure and Hospitality, Education and Health Services, and Retail.7
  • The closings of schools and daycare centers, which put heavy childcare needs on families and particularly women.8

US Women Dropped Out of the Workforce in Staggering Numbers

In the month of September 2020 in the United States, 865,000 women left the workforce—four times as many women as men.9

• Although 480,000 women rejoined the workforce in October 2020, nearly 3 million more women are no longer in the labor force – and not counted in an unemployment rate – compared to October 2019.10

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you drop out of the workforce for childcare you are not counted in the unemployment numbers because you are not actively seeking a job and left the workforce on your own accord instead of losing your job?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you drop out of the workforce for childcare you are not counted in the unemployment numbers because you are not actively seeking a job and left the workforce on your own accord instead of losing your job?
Honestly I wouldn't put it past this administration to consider this a 'bonus' that would boost their unemployment numbers.

No hell too hot for that entire administration of trash.

My wife got her shot yesterday at work, this morning, once again, friends and family on FB threw me for a loop. Paranoia? They couldn't site a source for the statistics, but I fear this is why the vaccine isn't the complete solution. This whole thing since day one has failed due to poor management, misinformation and no consistency in prevention and or understanding. Hoping for the best.
Capture.PNG

You are correct.

Despite what many people believe, the unemployment rate is not measured by calculating the number of people collecting unemployment insurance. In fact, the government comes up with this much-anticipated number each month by following a process that more closely resembles the U.S. Census. The unemployment rate is measured by a division of the Department of Labor known as the Bureau of Labor Statistics or BLS. This government agency conducts a monthly survey called the Current Population Survey that involves 60,000 households. These households are selected using random sampling methods designed to generate as close an approximation as possible to the larger population.3

The number of households in the sample may seem small, especially when compared to the greater than 330 million people who live in the U.S.4 Still, it is actually quite large compared to most public opinion surveys, which usually feature 1,000 or so participants, sometimes even fewer.5 Each month, U.S. Census employees contact the households in the sample and ask specific questions to determine employment status.

Though there are an additional 25,000 unemployed people in the survey because they are considered out of the labor force, they do not count as jobless as far as the official unemployment rate is concerned. This is a controversial issue, as many feel the unemployment rate excludes a large number of people who are out of the labor force, not because they do not want a job, but because they have simply given up looking. Therefore, some people argue the unemployment rate paints a brighter picture than reality.

My wife got her shot yesterday at work, this morning, once again, friends and family on FB threw me for a loop. Paranoia? They couldn't site a source for the statistics, but I fear this is why the vaccine isn't the complete solution. This whole thing since day one has failed due to poor management, misinformation and no consistency in prevention and or understanding. Hoping for the best.
View attachment 80646
I am not a crazy conspiracy theorist, but I don't think it's wrong to have valid concerns about a vaccine that was rushed through. The long term affects of both Covid and the vaccine aren't known. I myself, will be waiting because I have an autoimmune issue and I haven't seen any data on how well the vaccine is tolerated in people like me.

I myself, will be waiting because I have an autoimmune issue and I haven't seen any data on how well the vaccine is tolerated in people like me.
Agreed, and it's been revealed that there are issues with certain conditions and or those who normally have adverse reactions to vaccines. And yes, long term anything is up in the air, but I think making medical connections (conspiracy) to unproven effects is just going to compound the problem, in the end, IF people in general would have listened to the science we wouldn't be here, but even now, and what my comment really boiled down to, is that as a population, we're still not doing ANYTHING consistently, so this is gonna drag on in my opinion.

View attachment 80646

Stupid risk is right.... the risk of dying or complications from COVID19 is much higher in most people* than the risk of complications, let alone dying, from the current vaccines. It's funny what people consider "risk". Are they gathering with others in homes?

*I say most people, because certain people should probably wait until more data is out because they have certain pre-existing conditions, have allergies, are pregnant, are young, etc.... this is the smart thing to do as a society while people at high risk of COVID and those that are healthy put their big boy pants on and lead the way.

Some specific comments: not sure where this Bell's palsy risk is coming from. If anyone knows, please post. The "not guaranteed to work" statement is false. The data is clear they provide strong immunity for many months.

The 1976 vaccination campaign was a fiasco on many levels - they rushed out a vaccine for an epidemic that wasn't really one (so they didn't need to rush anything out, unlike for COVID) and the GBS levels were higher than usual. But we're still talking about only 450 people with GBS out of 45 million vaccinations (0.001% and yes that's considered high). There are many accounts on this on the web. I just verified on Discover.

View attachment 80646

No testing of long term effects...how do they know about Bell’s palsy then?

there has been reports of people developing it out of the UK and maybe the US. tbd on the severity or if they get hit with a more long term form of the palsy, or if they have been able to pinpoint why it has inflicted these people (4, I think?)

I believe a few participants in the trials developed Bell's palsy but there no way to determine if it was linked to the vaccine. So now by antivax ligic the vaccine causes Bell's Palsy.

there has been reports of people developing it out of the UK and maybe the US. tbd on the severity or if they get hit with a more long term form of the palsy, or if they have been able to pinpoint why it has inflicted these people (4, I think?)
Just did a quick search and it was 4 people and apparently represents a lower % of participants in the trial than the general population that develops it annually so most likely not related to the vaccine.

Just did a quick search and it was 4 people and apparently represents a lower % of participants in the trial than the general population that develops it annually so most likely not related to the vaccine.
I wish there was context for this stuff. Even in the NYT, you see reports of people having allergic reactions-- without any mention of how often vaccine recipients typically get reactions from other non-covid vaccines. The Bells Palsy thing seems scary, but again, there's 0 context around it, but I guess I can't really expect that from facebook.

My parents are pretty much back to normal. Their quarantine period ended this week and they are no longer symptomatic and haven't been for days. We are supposed to visit for Christmas, and they are deep, deep cleaning the house. I am still a bit apprehensive in going.

My wife is donating blood tomorrow as she suspects she may have the antibodies. She was very sick back in January, so I don't know if they'd even still be detectable this far off, but no harm in giving blood.

Got news this morning that my grandmother in law tested positive in her nursing home. She's been in the facility's mandated quarantine since she's a new arrival there, so neither us, nor any of the other residents have been in contact with her. So far just a headache and the runs, but who knows what could happen with a frail 80+ year old woman. We haven't seen her in weeks as she had a fall and we weren't allowed to visit in the hospital or the nursing home, so no risk of us being exposed or having exposed her.

The stories I'm hearing from my mother in law who is a principal of a small town school is so depressing. A bus driver with all the symptoms still working because their test hadn't' come back yet. The assistant principal refusing to stop working even though his wife tested positive. Parents flat out telling administration that they won't let the school know if their kids test positive. The superintendent refusing to go remote even though most districts have. Today is their last day before the holiday and I don't think she'll be able to breathe until a week from now. Fuck small town Ohio.

My parents are pretty much back to normal. Their quarantine period ended this week and they are no longer symptomatic and haven't been for days. We are supposed to visit for Christmas, and they are deep, deep cleaning the house. I am still a bit apprehensive in going.

My wife is donating blood tomorrow as she suspects she may have the antibodies. She was very sick back in January, so I don't know if they'd even still be detectable this far off, but no harm in giving blood.

Got news this morning that my grandmother in law tested positive in her nursing home. She's been in the facility's mandated quarantine since she's a new arrival there, so neither us, nor any of the other residents have been in contact with her. So far just a headache and the runs, but who knows what could happen with a frail 80+ year old woman. We haven't seen her in weeks as she had a fall and we weren't allowed to visit in the hospital or the nursing home, so no risk of us being exposed or having exposed her.

The stories I'm hearing from my mother in law who is a principal of a small town school is so depressing. A bus driver with all the symptoms still working because their test hadn't' come back yet. The assistant principal refusing to stop working even though his wife tested positive. Parents flat out telling administration that they won't let the school know if their kids test positive. The superintendent refusing to go remote even though most districts have. Today is their last day before the holiday and I don't think she'll be able to breathe until a week from now. Fuck small town Ohio.

I guess those parents can handle 2 weeks without pay when they have to be on quarantine🤷🏻‍♂️

Stupid risk is right.... the risk of dying or complications from COVID19 is much higher in most people* than the risk of complications, let alone dying, from the current vaccines. It's funny what people consider "risk". Are they gathering with others in homes?

*I say most people, because certain people should probably wait until more data is out because they have certain pre-existing conditions, have allergies, are pregnant, are young, etc.... this is the smart thing to do as a society while people at high risk of COVID and those that are healthy put their big boy pants on and lead the way.

Some specific comments: not sure where this Bell's palsy risk is coming from. If anyone knows, please post. The "not guaranteed to work" statement is false. The data is clear they provide strong immunity for many months.

The 1976 vaccination campaign was a fiasco on many levels - they rushed out a vaccine for an epidemic that wasn't really one (so they didn't need to rush anything out, unlike for COVID) and the GBS levels were higher than usual. But we're still talking about only 450 people with GBS out of 45 million vaccinations (0.001% and yes that's considered high). There are many accounts on this on the web. I just verified on Discover.
The report said 4 of 30,000 participants in the Moderna clinical trial had Bell’s palsy, including 3 participants who received the vaccine instead of the placebo. Similarly, 4 out of 43,000 participants in the Pfizer clinical trial had Bell’s palsy, and all 4 received the vaccine.

The paralysis occurred between 22 days and 32 days after the shot, the FDA staff said. Two of the Bell’s palsy cases in the Moderna trial have resolved. The staff has endorsed both of the COVID-19 vaccines and said there’s not enough data to show whether the cases were tied directly to the vaccines, according to CNBC.

“There were no other notable patterns or numerical imbalances between treatment groups for specific categories of adverse events, including other neurologic, neuro-inflammatory, and thrombotic events, that would suggest a causal relationship to the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine,” the staff wrote.

Importantly, the rate of Bell’s palsy in the clinical trials is lower than the overall rate in the general population, they wrote. About 35 per 100,000 people get Bell’s palsy in the U.S. each year, according to the National Organization for Rare Disorders, and about 40,000 Americans are diagnosed annually.

I wish there was context for this stuff. Even in the NYT, you see reports of people having allergic reactions-- without any mention of how often vaccine recipients typically get reactions from other non-covid vaccines. The Bells Palsy thing seems scary, but again, there's 0 context around it, but I guess I can't really expect that from facebook.
This was the closest thing I could find for rates. It really does depend on the vaccine:

The adverse reactions to vaccines referred to our service account for between 0.59 % and 1.27 % of first visits in the last three years. We recorded a total of 48 adverse reactions to vaccines. Of these, 44 were attributed to the tetanus vaccine (92 %), 2 to the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine (4 %) and 2 to the meningitis A and C vaccine (4 %). Clinical features consisted of urticaria (11 cases), urticaria with angioedema (7 cases), pseudo-shock (5 cases), fever and urticaria (4 cases), local reactions (4 cases), persistent crying with exanthema (3 cases), giant local reactions with angioedema of the limb (3 cases), anaphylaxis (3 cases), fever > 39.5 C (2 cases), bronchospasm (1 case), and severe atopic dermatitis (1 case).A regimen of hyposensitization to tetanus toxoid was required in 20 patients (45 %); in three, this could not be completed due to generalized urticaria but all the patients presented protective titers with diluted vaccine.

Back