Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Do you know if it's safe for people with an auto-immune disease to get?

I doubt they would have data on that yet. I wouldn't imagine they'd have enough people in the pool with autoimmune diseases to get any statistical significance. I never saw anything about patient pre-conditions in the studies, though I'm sure they documented it. Have you?

The only thing we know so far is that neither Pfizer nor Moderna got any severe complications from their vaccines over the 2-3 months (AZ-Oxford did but review boards decided they were not related to the vaccine). That's a lot of N's put together but the time is not that long.

@nolalady

Not exactly what you were asking, but related.

I just read an article in my local French paper about how the UK has just dis-recommended the Pfizer vaccine for people with severe allergies. They started vaccinating the population 2 days ago. Apparently, two people that are already susceptible to all kinds of allergies got serious reactions right away upon the first injection. So they're saying that people that are subject to severe allergies should abstain for now.

Good news is you would know right away in the clinic if you have a problem. Bad news is, well, anaphylactic shock. My educated guess is that is is more to do with the formulation of the vaccine than the RNA itself, but it's impossible to tell without sussing out the components.

The only thing we know so far is that neither Pfizer nor Moderna got any severe complications from their vaccines over the 2-3 months (AZ-Oxford did but review boards decided they were not related to the vaccine). That's a lot of N's put together but the time is not that long.
There's just no long term data to go on yet, which is mostly not a concern unless you're eg pregnant or planning to be somewhat soon. The thalidomide tragedy comes to mind as an example of the need for larger datasets, but if there's data on this already, i don't know of it.

There's just no long term data to go on yet, which is mostly not a concern unless you're eg pregnant or planning to be somewhat soon. The thalidomide tragedy comes to mind as an example of the need for larger datasets, but if there's data on this already, i don't know of it.

Over here, pregnant women have already been placed at the very bottom of the vaccination priority order for this specific reason.

@nolalady

Not exactly what you were asking, but related.

I just read an article in my local French paper about how the UK has just dis-recommended the Pfizer vaccine for people with severe allergies. They started vaccinating the population 2 days ago. Apparently, two people that are already susceptible to all kinds of allergies got serious reactions right away upon the first injection. So they're saying that people that are subject to severe allergies should abstain for now.

Good news is you would know right away in the clinic if you have a problem. Bad news is, well, anaphylactic shock. My educated guess is that is is more to do with the formulation of the vaccine than the RNA itself, but it's impossible to tell without sussing out the components.
Hmmmm, weellllll, I'm glad I'm not in the first round then.
I would like to see more data on reactions and comorbid conditions.

Hmmmm, weellllll, I'm glad I'm not in the first round then.
I would like to see more data on reactions and comorbid conditions.

Oh, same here. My wife might be fairly early in the queue given she works in healthcare and is considered essential, but she won't be in the first waves either because she's not on the front. Myself, I don't think I'll get my turn until late spring or summer. Same with my daughter.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot early and "take one for the team" if they wanted me to since my main health issues have more to do with aging stuff than anything and the potential benefits probably outweigh the risks for me. At the same time, it's nice to wait to see how things go first.

Interesting new paper on protecting healthcare workers with topical, inexpensive treatment:
@LeeVing @Lee Newman and anyone who is working in healthcare or has a partner in healthcare.

Two possible substances have been identified as candidate prophylactic agents in the fight against SARS-CoV-2. Carrageenans are naturally occurring extracts from the Rhodophyceas seaweed. Recently, the viricidal capacity of carrageenan has been reported, through inhibition of viral- host cell adhesion and early replication. Iota-carrageenan demonstrates potent antiviral activity in vitro, reducing rhinovirus, herpes simplex virus and the Japanese encephalitis virus reproduction and their cytopathic effects. Similarly, ivermectin has also been shown to posess antiviral activity against a whole host of RNA viruses (Zika, dengue, yellow fever, human immunodeficiency virus type 1). Thus, the combination of both products can provide an extra protection for those at risk of contagion.

The overall infection rate in health care workers recruited for this study was 20% with 237 testing positive for CoVid 19 during the 3 month study recruitment. Of those infected, all patients were from the comparator group of using PPE alone. This represented an overall infection rate of 58.2% ( 237 of 407) in the PPE group. No patients of the 788 treated with IVERCAR tested positive for CoVid 19 during the study.

We conclude that by using ivermectin in oral solution and carrageenan in nasal spray form, we are providing an inexpensive, safe and effective means to protect people from contagion and serious forms of the disease.

Oh, same here. My wife might be fairly early in the queue given she works in healthcare and is considered essential, but she won't be in the first waves either because she's not on the front. Myself, I don't think I'll get my turn until late spring or summer. Same with my daughter.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot early and "take one for the team" if they wanted me to since my main health issues have more to do with aging stuff than anything and the potential benefits probably outweigh the risks for me. At the same time, it's nice to wait to see how things go first.

Interesting new paper on protecting healthcare workers with topical, inexpensive treatment:
@LeeVing @Lee Newman and anyone who is working in healthcare or has a partner in healthcare.

Two possible substances have been identified as candidate prophylactic agents in the fight against SARS-CoV-2. Carrageenans are naturally occurring extracts from the Rhodophyceas seaweed. Recently, the viricidal capacity of carrageenan has been reported, through inhibition of viral- host cell adhesion and early replication. Iota-carrageenan demonstrates potent antiviral activity in vitro, reducing rhinovirus, herpes simplex virus and the Japanese encephalitis virus reproduction and their cytopathic effects. Similarly, ivermectin has also been shown to posess antiviral activity against a whole host of RNA viruses (Zika, dengue, yellow fever, human immunodeficiency virus type 1). Thus, the combination of both products can provide an extra protection for those at risk of contagion.

The overall infection rate in health care workers recruited for this study was 20% with 237 testing positive for CoVid 19 during the 3 month study recruitment. Of those infected, all patients were from the comparator group of using PPE alone. This represented an overall infection rate of 58.2% ( 237 of 407) in the PPE group. No patients of the 788 treated with IVERCAR tested positive for CoVid 19 during the study.

We conclude that by using ivermectin in oral solution and carrageenan in nasal spray form, we are providing an inexpensive, safe and effective means to protect people from contagion and serious forms of the disease.

I have nothing to add. I just want to use this to thank both of you for your real valuable insights in this thread. I read a lot in different sources but the things you too pur together here and your comments on studies really helps understanding some things better.
So thanks a ton.

I was at work chatting with the charge nurse while scrolling CNN.com when I came upon this on the front page.

It's not there now, but it is an odd experience seeing a photo of my place of employment on the FRONT PAGE OF CNN

I'm glad she no longer practices nursing.

I have nothing to add. I just want to use this to thank both of you for your real valuable insights in this thread. I read a lot in different sources but the things you too pur together here and your comments on studies really helps understanding some things better.
So thanks a ton.

It never ceases to amaze me how some of the most knowledgeable and thoughtful people around are vinyl record collectors. ❤️

The current vaccines getting emergency approval are for adults only.

One thing I never thought about until I saw it covered on the news is that the vaccines for children and teen agers under the age of 18 is lagging behind and requires further field trials. That being said, it may not be generally available yet at the start of the next school year.

Covid19 is very likely going to impact yet another school year.

The current vaccines getting emergency approval are for adults only.

One thing I never thought about until I saw it covered on the news is that the vaccines for children and teen agers under the age of 18 is lagging behind and requires further field trials. That being said, it may not be generally available yet at the start of the next school year.

Covid19 is very likely going to impact yet another school year.
This is largely to do with how clinical trials are conducted. This is a common thing. Adults are usually first with this sort of stuff because 1. it's mainly affecting adults, 2. there are much more stringent guidelines for conducting clinical trials for kids because they are considered a specialty population with additional safety measures that have to be met and approved by an RBI. I've been reading several articles on vaccine availability and as it is, if you aren't working in a hospital or aren't an essential worker, you probably won't get the vaccine until 2022.

And since I have you here, @RenegadeMonster, I though you might like this study as it's from your neck of the woods:

Analysis of 772 complete SARS-CoV-2 genomes from early in the Boston area epidemic revealed numerous introductions of the virus, a small number of which led to most cases. The data revealed two superspreading events. One, in a skilled nursing facility, led to rapid transmission and significant mortality in this vulnerable population but little broader spread, while other introductions into the facility had little effect. The second, at an international business conference, produced sustained community transmission and was exported, resulting in extensive regional, national, and international spread. The two events also differed significantly in the genetic variation they generated, suggesting varying transmission dynamics in superspreading events.

Our findings highlight the close relationships between seemingly disconnected groups and populations: viruses from international business travel seeded major outbreaks among individuals experiencing homelessness, spread throughout the Boston area including to other higher risk communities, and were exported to other domestic and international sites. It also illustrates the role of chance in the trajectory of an epidemic: a single introduction had an outsize effect on subsequent transmission because it was amplified by superspreading in a highly mobile population very early in the outbreak, before many public health precautions were put in place, and when its effects would be further amplified by exponential growth and subsequent superspreading events (e.g., among the homeless). By contrast, other early introductions led to very little onward transmission, and the superspreading event in the SNF, while devastating to the residents, had little large-scale effect because it occurred later and in a more isolated population. While superspreading events among medically vulnerable populations, such as nursing home residents, have a larger immediate impact on mortality, our findings raise the possibility that—paradoxically—the implications may be greater, when measured as a cost to society, for superspreading events that involve younger, healthier and more mobile populations because of the increased risk of subsequent transmission. With the possibility of vaccines that protect against disease but not infection, this consideration may be increasingly important.

Back