Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I'm assuming there's just really really bad compliance with recommended measures?

With the teens and 20 somethings yes. Lot's of big social gatherings, partying, drinking. Spring Break like Beach gatherings.

Social distancing is really not being followed by most partaking in this, nor is mask wearing. After all, they are young and this disease only affects the old people. That's the attitude.

Their patience for their social life being impacted is at its last straw.

Thanks! So what’s your view on the stay at home protests?
that they are selfish, and the stakes are much lower for what they are protesting over.

if the selfish comment could be seen as a personal take- fine. but the mere fact that they stormed capitol buildings armed to the teeth, held up legislative sessions, and screamed spit into law enforcement's faces while receiving a presidential pat on the back, while BLM protestors are just asking to fucking live while getting rained with rubber bullets echos the root of the problem.

if the stay-at-home protestors were arguing for something more than their boredom and haircuts, I'd try to have more understanding. if they held signs listing the alternatives to economic shutdown- masks, distancing, the president taking things seriously- then maybe they'd have been making a better argument than just "I don't wanna and you can't make me."

BLM marches are protesting a pandemic that's been going on longer than the virus.

Last edited:
In Texas, the Governors order prohibiting local municipalities from issuing any kind of mandatory mask wearing policy is still in place. The governor shows no signs that he will lift it despite increases in new cases.

In Texas, the Governors order prohibiting local municipalities from issuing any kind of mandatory mask wearing policy is still in place. The governor shows no signs that he will lift it despite increases in new cases.
8 mayors wrote a letter asking him to reverse this, so that guidelines in cities were not the same as rural communities. the judge for Bexar county (San Antonio) finally did a hail mary with a loophole where they cannot restrict individuals, but they can fine business owners if people are not wearing masks in their establishments in order to at least have some restrictions in place.

this is once more putting the onus on small business owners who have already been through it, and opening them up to dealing with more selfish individuals while we become a hotspot. Governor Abbott said to the Bexar county judge, "You've solved my riddle!" like the asshole he is.

counties where Austin, Dallas, Houston, and El Paso are located have followed suit.

Phase 2 part 2 starts today in my state. Indoor dining at restaurants is allowed to return. Nail salons are allowed to reopen and personal trainers are allowed to resume their services at gyms.

Restaurants that are reopening must have tables spaced at least 6' a part. No more than 6 people per table. Masks should be worn when not sitting at the table. Max capacity is set to 50%.

Phase 2 part 2 starts today in my state. Indoor dining at restaurants is allowed to return. Nail salons are allowed to reopen and personal trainers are allowed to resume their services at gyms.

Restaurants that are reopening must have tables spaced at least 6' a part. No more than 6 people per table. Masks should be worn when not sitting at the table. Max capacity is set to 50%.
Interesting, Phase 2 in my state returns Dining - but must be outdoor.

Why are people so stupid? Why do people hate masks so much? It's seriously so bizarre. I'm always amazed by people's inability to think beyond their own kneejerk reactions, even when those feelings go against their own self interest. I guess it feels better to "win" or to fight against something in the short term than it does to do reasonable, realistic actions that have meaningful impacts.
It's a pretty specific group of people who have the biggest problem with this though--the ones who have virtually never been told "no" in their lives, and for whom laws previously were designed to limit inconvenience.

It's a pretty specific group of people who have the biggest problem with this though--the ones who have virtually never been told "no" in their lives, and for whom laws previously were designed to limit inconvenience.

I heard on the Today Show yesterday that only 1 in 6 Americans is wearing a mask nationally. Yes, that number is much higher in states like NY or MA where mask wearing is mandatory. However, even in these states, mask wearing is not where it needs to be. To be affective at knocking back COVID-19 a minimum of 95% of people in public must be wearing masks. And we are not seeing that.

I was just hearing about that in young, healthy teenagers with no underlaying conditions, in rare cases the first symptom that presents from a COVID-19 infection is that they develop Type-1 Diabetes suddenly and high blood sugar levels that lead to hospitalization.

This appears to be related to those children who develop Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome.

I heard on the Today Show yesterday that only 1 in 6 Americans is wearing a mask nationally. Yes, that number is much higher in states like NY or MA where mask wearing is mandatory. However, even in these states, mask wearing is not where it needs to be. To be affective at knocking back COVID-19 a minimum of 95% of people in public must be wearing masks. And we are not seeing that.
This is what enrages me the most! I see it all around my town.

Reactions: Tyr
I see a lot of references in US media about a “second wave”. Frankly, the first wave never subsided. Those metrics about controlling the pandemic were never attained (except in the North East, but I’m not sure they are there yet - we officially have “control” based on the WHO metrics of the first wave in Quebec just a week ago). Places seeing a steep uptick in cases are experiencing an acceleration of the first wave. This is easily seen by looking at a graph. Forget a “second wave” in the fall... many states may still be battling the first.

I see a lot of references in US media about a “second wave”. Frankly, the first wave never subsided. Those metrics about controlling the pandemic were never attained (except in the North East, but I’m not sure they are there yet - we officially have “control” based on the WHO metrics of the first wave in Quebec just a week ago). Places seeing a steep uptick in cases are experiencing an acceleration of the first wave. This is easily seen by looking at a graph. Forget a “second wave” in the fall... many states may still be battling the first.
Most epis think that the official second wave is going to be some time in September/October of this year. That's why schools are still discussing distance learning.

Back