Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

Why are people so stupid? Why do people hate masks so much? It's seriously so bizarre. I'm always amazed by people's inability to think beyond their own kneejerk reactions, even when those feelings go against their own self interest. I guess it feels better to "win" or to fight against something in the short term than it does to do reasonable, realistic actions that have meaningful impacts.

Why are people so stupid? Why do people hate masks so much? It's seriously so bizarre. I'm always amazed by people's inability to think beyond their own kneejerk reactions, even when those feelings go against their own self interest. I guess it feels better to "win" or to fight against something in the short term than it does to do reasonable, realistic actions that have meaningful impacts.
I live in a very conservative area and the Facebook comments anytime the local TV station posts anything about COVID and masks is absurd. Their reasons are anything from flat out denying the virus exists, wearing a mask causes CO2 poising, infriging upon their freedoms, the CDC saying they don't work (and posting articles from early April when much was not known about the virus) and claiming the CDC changes their mind every week on masks (which they don't). Life much be so much easier when you're there willfully ignorant.

I live in a very conservative area and the Facebook comments anytime the local TV station posts anything about COVID and masks is absurd. Their reasons are anything from flat out denying the virus exists, wearing a mask causes CO2 poising, infriging upon their freedoms, the CDC saying they don't work (and posting articles from early April when much was not known about the virus) and claiming the CDC changes their mind every week on masks (which they don't). Life much be so much easier when you're there willfully ignorant.

The last thing those people should do is hide behind freedoms that others sacrificed their lives to achieve. They are being the furthest thing from a patriot with this attitude. Bunch of traitors, frankly.

The last thing those people should do is hide behind freedoms that others sacrificed their lives to achieve. They are being the furthest thing from a patriot with this attitude. Bunch of traitors, frankly.
100% agree. They like to suggest that the elderly and compromised people simply stay home. Perhaps those not considerate enough to do something so simple as wearing a mask should be the ones staying home.

Yeah, the CDC thing kills me, because they really did tell people not to get masks initially. I understand why they did it, they wanted to avoid people buying and hoarding masks when HCPs might need them, but that messaging really fucked things up in the long run. I think that was a mistake in hindsight, but at the time it was probably the right call.

Yeah, the CDC thing kills me, because they really did tell people not to get masks initially. I understand why they did it, they wanted to avoid people buying and hoarding masks when HCPs might need them, but that messaging really fucked things up in the long run. I think that was a mistake in hindsight, but at the time it was probably the right call.
It was. But they also said from the beginning that people with the virus should wear a mask. Now we know about asymptomatic carriers so we pretend everyone has the virus. I don't know why it's so hard for people to expect that with a brand new virus new research and recommendations would come out. It's not like flip flopping they like to imply. I guess only conservative freedom fighters had all of the answers on day 1.

Interesting read...

Bottom line is there are still a lot of unanswered questions about the role of kids in spreading COVID-19. On the one hand they do not get very sick themselves. On the other, they may still be carriers and make older kids and adults sick, but that is not clear.

When schools reopened here in Quebec, only 40-ish cases were identified in primary schools across the province (that's from early june, the last I saw an article about it). About half of that were adults and only 2 schools had multiple cases. Mind you, only primary schools re-opened (so kids under 12) and the protocols were quite strict with distancing, hand washing, masking, etc. So all in all a success, but now they plan on having more kids return in the fall and relax the measure a lot more.

This is one of these things where we'll find out with trial and error, for better or for worse. But when it comes to kids, the benefits of shutting things down really need to be important and needs to be balanced against their education and mental well-being. Not that this is not true for adults, but we know for sure that adults get COVID-19 and spread it.

Last edited:
So I’m genuinely interested...what is the rationale of people who disagree with the trump rally but agree with the BLM protests?
to me, one is taking a calculated, masked risk outdoors to protest the taking of lives, and the other is throwing a giant, indoor party for yourself to spread hate with no regard for lives.

to me, one is taking a calculated, masked risk outdoors to protest the taking of lives, and the other is throwing a giant, indoor party for yourself to spread hate with no regard for lives.

Thanks! So what’s your view on the stay at home protests?

Last month the average age of people being diagnosed with COVID-19 in Florida was people in their 60's across the board. Now it's between 41 and 33. (The average age is by country and not by state).

What's the change? Those testing positive are not just elderly / people in nursing homes. Now that the economy has reopened the younger Floridians are going out and about and partying / socializing.

And the younger people are not taking proper precautions and feel invincible / immune from COVID-19 still thinking it's just an Old Person's disease. While Florida's governor says that for the most part, these young people right now are not showing any symptoms of the virus or very minimal symptoms. He also said people under 40 who don't have any significant underlying conditions are much less likely to get sick or hospitalized.

But what he is failing to mention is they are spreading it. And every could easily spread it to people who very well could get sick and hospitalized. Florida still appears to being forwarding with full reopening. Phase 2 has started in 64 counties allowing the opening bars, entertainment venues like movie theaters, clubs and concert halls. Their leadership doesn't show any concerns that Florida could be the next epicenter. And many articles this past week say Florida is showing all the signs that they will be the next epicenter.

Last month the average age of people being diagnosed with COVID-19 in Florida was people in their 60's across the board. Now it's between 41 and 33. (The average age is by country and not by state).

What's the change? Those testing positive are not just elderly / people in nursing homes. Now that the economy has reopened the younger Floridians are going out and about and partying / socializing.

And the younger people are not taking proper precautions and feel invincible / immune from COVID-19 still thinking it's just an Old Person's disease. While Florida's governor says that for the most part, these young people right now are not showing any symptoms of the virus or very minimal symptoms. He also said people under 40 who don't have any significant underlying conditions are much less likely to get sick or hospitalized.

But what he is failing to mention is they are spreading it. And every could easily spread it to people who very well could get sick and hospitalized. Florida still appears to being forwarding with full reopening. Phase 2 has started in 64 counties allowing the opening bars, entertainment venues like movie theaters, clubs and concert halls. Their leadership doesn't show any concerns that Florida could be the next epicenter. And many articles this past week say Florida is showing all the signs that they will be the next epicenter.

Wait, they haven't fully re-opened yet? This is all happening with just a partial re-open? Holy fuck.

Back