Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

A personal COVID story, so my daughter has been in Florida all summer for her internship. SHE's done everything she has to do to keep herself safe, yet, last night she got an email from her boss stating that one of the employees at the office she visited last week tested positive for COVID. So here we are, waiting for test results, 3-5 days.

To add to this, when she got to the testing facility she was turned away. She was told they had gone through their 750 per day allotment. So she left, but decided to go back just in case, this time a different officer told her that yes, they went through those, but a restock was on it's way withing the hour, so she stayed. In talking to the officer she asked why so many people all of a sudden, she was told that the Governor of FL had announced that that facility would be closing because they don't want to continue paying for it.

We are on our own people, my heart is breaking and I'm worried, but for fucks sake, why can't people understand it's not just about them. WE NEED TO HELP AND LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER!!!!

Please continue to stay safe.

Ranch Records. I wouldn't call it my favorite store, but it is the better of the 2 in Salem. It was a good local store that would occasionally have something real good in the bins. I used it more for filling holes.

Damn, too bad. Once we get through this, we need to get all the locals together for a meet up. Pretty good group around here.

Part if the problem is not just what the man in charge says. It's what he doesn't say. He says nothing about the seriousness of the situation. He says nothing to correct the rampant mis information out there.

Politically motivated. If he thought his base wanted him to go hard on mask wearing and actual science that would save lives, he'd be all in. But he thinks his base wants him to be a rabid anti-science evangelist that cares more about the economy in the short term vs the health and prosperity of our country long term. He's also dumb too, that doesn't help much.

A personal COVID story, so my daughter has been in Florida all summer for her internship. SHE's done everything she has to do to keep herself safe, yet, last night she got an email from her boss stating that one of the employees at the office she visited last week tested positive for COVID. So here we are, waiting for test results, 3-5 days.

To add to this, when she got to the testing facility she was turned away. She was told they had gone through their 750 per day allotment. So she left, but decided to go back just in case, this time a different officer told her that yes, they went through those, but a restock was on it's way withing the hour, so she stayed. In talking to the officer she asked why so many people all of a sudden, she was told that the Governor of FL had announced that that facility would be closing because they don't want to continue paying for it.

We are on our own people, my heart is breaking and I'm worried, but for fucks sake, why can't people understand it's not just about them. WE NEED TO HELP AND LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER!!!!

Please continue to stay safe.

So much wrong with that story. "3-5 days" is a pathetic nightmare. "750 per day allotment" is horrifying.

God damn our country is pathetic. I don't know how anyone can see what's happening and think "'Murica, so free, so beautiful, the best."

For decades, public heath has used contact tracing to help slow the spread of diseases like HIV. But hey, let's go a different direction, not test anyone and play russian roulette with this thing. It's the American way.

Ironically, most countries around the world are currently using these techniques. They were developed by the US and the CDC as far back as during the Spanish Flu and fine tuned over the years when different infectious diseases popped up. Now, the US is turning their back on their own methods.

It's so fucked up.

I tried a new golf course yesterday afternoon and will not be returning for now. They had a limit for the number of people in the clubhouse, but the cashier had the plastic barrier pushed aside. The pull carts were not sanitized before or after use that I saw. I usually rent one. People in an afternoon league were in large groups. Generally felt more unsafe than at another course a mile down the road. They will get my business instead.

I tried a new golf course yesterday afternoon and will not be returning for now. They had a limit for the number of people in the clubhouse, but the cashier had the plastic barrier pushed aside. The pull carts were not sanitized before or after use that I saw. I usually rent one. People in an afternoon league were in large groups. Generally felt more unsafe than at another course a mile down the road. They will get my business instead.
There's a new coffee shop that opened in town here. I'd love to support a new local business but in all of their Facebook posts there's not a mask to be seen. Looks like I'll just keep buying my beans online and making coffee at home.

There's a new coffee shop that opened in town here. I'd love to support a new local business but in all of their Facebook posts there's not a mask to be seen. Looks like I'll just keep buying my beans online and making coffee at home.
I passed the local ice cream spot on my way home from golfing. It's about 2 minutes up the road from me. Last night the crowds were ridiculous. Little kids from a baseball team running around, wrestling in the grass, parents in large, close groups chatting away whilst eating their ice cream cones. No distancing in lines. Basically an infestation waiting to happen.

Coincidentally my wife asked if I wanted to go back out with her to grab a cone because it was a nice evening. Nooooo way.

Ironically, most countries around the world are currently using these techniques. They were developed by the US and the CDC as far back as during the Spanish Flu and fine tuned over the years when different infectious diseases popped up. Now, the US is turning their back on their own methods.

It's so fucked up.
Before working for "the man", I got my master's in public health and my first job out of school was with my state's HIV/AIDS prevention office. I am painfully (PAINFULLY) aware of proper surveillance techniques and contact tracing. This whole thing has made it painfully aware to me that years and years of defunding public health clinics and efforts had gotten us here. In 2018, the pandemic team director at the CDC quit and no one thought it necessary for his job to be funded, and they cut the office. We are having serious reporting problems for case counts because there is no CDC led pandemic team to recommend how everyone should be counting cases. Not all states are doing contact tracing because there is no federal recommendation from the CDC. With no federal guidance, we will be questioning our numbers until the cows come home. Now, anyone could complain that these metrics might have issues given a certain type of case, but at least the numbers would be consistently gathered and reported based on guidelines that everyone knows. I cannot tell you how many times I've been asked to recreate statistics but I am not given the way they did the analysis--what codes did they use? what diagnoses? Did they adjust the population any? What is the definition of "confirmed" "possible" "unconfirmed"? Is unconfirmed mean that their test is negative or that the test came back faulty? You get the idea.
Without this consistency, our numbers will be questioned forever. I really think that this is the goal of this administration. Instead of counting cases and understanding the impact to our population, we are trying to down play this so that when the second wave comes in September, the feds can continue to ignore this virus in order to keep our economy running.

Without this consistency, our numbers will be questioned forever. I really think that this is the goal of this administration. Instead of counting cases and understanding the impact to our population, we are trying to down play this so that when the second wave comes in September, the feds can continue to ignore this virus in order to keep our economy running.

This is 100% the strategy. Question the numbers, downplay the threat, make it seem like everything's okay. This administration is making choices based on political calculations, not based on science or public health. There's no long game, it's just a bunch of desperate people hoping they can hold on to power through a crisis.

I hope it backfires. I think we're already seeing it blow up in their faces. Watching the numbers explode in Florida and Texas is disheartening, but at the same time, it just proves that the virus is FAR from gone and our current strategy of doing basically nothing isn't going to work.

Houston, the forth largest city in the country, ICU capacity is now at 100%.

Even though Texas as hit pause on proceeding to phase 3 of reopening, the governor still has not lifted his executive order that prohibits cities, counties or judges from issuing any form of shutdown again.

Yesterday, Governor Abbot made a loud and clear statement he is still very against any statewide order mandating masks. His order in place also does not allow allow local municipalities to issue their own mask mandate citing that laws and regulations must be uniform across the state so there is no confusion.

California is seeing a surge of new cases again as well and are considering a full shut down again if things continue to get worse.

Arizona is another state where the governor is refusing to issue a state wide mask mandate. He is allowing local municipalities to issue their own order however.

Arizona and Texas show no signs that they will shut down again. California, the state with the largest economy in our country is open to shutting down again if they need to.

Back