Neverending Covid-19 Coronavirus

I don't understand why the report on low numbers on a Sunday like it's a good thing and we are making progress. The issue is, and not also addressed in the article, that nationally we are seeing an issue with not reporting on Sundays. It's not that the number of new cases diagnosed on the day or the number of new deaths reported are not an indication of progress. Rather, it's a symptom of many places not reporting on Sundays.

I read a post on Facebook my a medical professional who stated that they have never seen such sawtooth gaps in reporting with other diseases. This is really only an issue with COVID-19 and as time goes on it's getting worse. And they are unsure what is driving it as such a level nationally.

New Hampshire's stay at home order has officially ended. The final phase to reopening has started. There are no longer any restrictions on crowd sizes on gatherings. Indoor dining in restaurants have been allowed to return. Day camps and movie theaters will be allowed to reopen by the end of the month.

I'm not sure how I feel about completely eliminating any crowd size restrictions. Is that the right thing to do so early on when many states are surging?

New Hampshire's stay at home order has officially ended. The final phase to reopening has started. There are no longer any restrictions on crowd sizes on gatherings. Indoor dining in restaurants have been allowed to return. Day camps and movie theaters will be allowed to reopen by the end of the month.

I'm not sure how I feel about completely eliminating any crowd size restrictions. Is that the right thing to do so early on when many states are surging?
live free and die

I don't understand why the report on low numbers on a Sunday like it's a good thing and we are making progress. The issue is, and not also addressed in the article, that nationally we are seeing an issue with not reporting on Sundays. It's not that the number of new cases diagnosed on the day or the number of new deaths reported are not an indication of progress. Rather, it's a symptom of many places not reporting on Sundays.

I read a post on Facebook my a medical professional who stated that they have never seen such sawtooth gaps in reporting with other diseases. This is really only an issue with COVID-19 and as time goes on it's getting worse. And they are unsure what is driving it as such a level nationally.
Before I was in private health insurance, I did my time in public health surveillance. I was honored and humbled to work for a man who basically single handedly took the Louisiana HIV/AIDS surveillance program and made it into a model for the rest of the country. He worked on a shoe string budget and spent years building a robust surveillance network. Doing public health disease surveillance takes a LOT of money, time and dedicated staff. When tracking Coronavirus, we had none of these things. The pandemic team was dismantled in 2018 after the director quit. No one thought it was necessary to get a replacement or fund this office at all. How are you going to do pandemic surveillance with no surveillance team?

This is going to be interesting because I think the best numbers we will get will be provided by private industry. The problem with going on these numbers alone is that there are tons of gaps, especially in the most vulnerable communities--the reporting that we actually need to better understand our trend. I could see private insurance trying to get together to construct a database of cases, which we could capture since most states contract with private insurers to help them run their Medicaid. But getting them to work together to create one database, fugetaboutit.

I'm happy that Michigan seems to be on the right path, a nice downward trend on cases has been noted. All the people that were SO mad at our governor are still upset though. There are stories about people refusing to wear masks in restaurants and arguing with the staff, throwing drinks and behaving like toddlers. I'm emotionally exhausted lately, I just don't understand why some people are so close minded, selfish and just plain awful.

Anyone who cried about a mask better not use the term "snowflake" ever again. Masks are a simple and effective way to slow the spread. There's so much misinformation out there about adverse health effects and how ineffective they are and of course MAGA nation just spreads it like wildfire.

Back