Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol 26 -August 2021 /// TEENAGE FANCLUB “Grand Prix” 1995

In addition to picking up this album, and already owning Bandwagonesque, I this morning decided to update my TF collection with A Catholic Education, Thirteen, and Songs from Northern Britian. I am excited about this!

i almost went for songs from northern Britain as the pick - equally as good as Grand Prix - I’ve just brought a catholic education on vinyl myself - just missing man-made and the new one on vinyl - looking to get them over the next month

i almost went for songs from northern Britain as the pick - equally as good as Grand Prix - I’ve just brought a catholic education on vinyl myself - just missing man-made and the new one on vinyl - looking to get them over the next month

Of the first run of albums, I will now only be missing The King. I will also be missing everything from Howdy! forward still.

However...

A friend of mine whose taste I trust claims Howdy! to be his absolute favorite TF album so... it's on the horizon.
And, to be honest, the song "It's All In My Mind" is a top 10 TF song for me, so I will most likely pick up Man-Made at some point.

Teenage Fanclub - early years -

so I’ve reacquainted myself with the debut from 1990 - probably played it more in the last week than at any other time. It’s got a bit of rough charm - and in Everything Flows it’s got the potential for future greatness. What’s apparent is the Subpop grunge influence- played next to Bleach it’s not out of place at all- and like that album it hints at the talent within

there also the odds and ends compilation “deep fried fanclub” which I’ve got on cd - gathers the singles and b sides and some oddments from this era - and a Peel Sessions on EP (picture below) - I’ve also got the cd singles for everything flows and God Knows It’s True which was a non lp single - all of the tracks are on Deep Fried.

Grand Prix progress

So it’s a bright start from the pits - everything flows to formula 3 stardom - however a lack of communication with the pit lane (lacking vocal confidence ) and a reliance on instrumentals culminating in the final track monstrosity of Everybody’s fool roots them at the back of grid for the next release - The King

Mansell verdict - promoted to Formula 3
Sponsors sort - poss drummer issue

As promised here’s the U.K. cd singles from the album - the final release was an acoustic ep of a song from each of the 1st 4 albums - including the definitive version of Everything Flows from album 1 - total of 17 new songs or covers - and 8 alternate versions - which is why I’ve kept alll my cd singles - some serious treasure in the 90s

View attachment 104656View attachment 104657
The b-sides from this era are impressive. I just got my copy of " caught beneath a landsljde" which is basically a compilation of b-sides from 90s British bands and has some great music ( it does not have teenage fan club but blur,oasis, suede, radiohead, pulp etc.)

Last edited:
You could order this and dota together from jpc. That should make shipping feasible 😉
Seriously JPC shipping is super cheap on its own already but if someone wanted, they could also add some hard to find (in the US) at a reasonable price titles from Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure and really make it worthwhile.

Teenage Fanclub - early years -

so I’ve reacquainted myself with the debut from 1990 - probably played it more in the last week than at any other time. It’s got a bit of rough charm - and in Everything Flows it’s got the potential for future greatness. What’s apparent is the Subpop grunge influence- played next to Bleach it’s not out of place at all- and like that album it hints at the talent within

there also the odds and ends compilation “deep fried fanclub” which I’ve got on cd - gathers the singles and b sides and some oddments from this era - and a Peel Sessions on EP (picture below) - I’ve also got the cd singles for everything flows and God Knows It’s True which was a non lp single - all of the tracks are on Deep Fried.

Grand Prix progress

So it’s a bright start from the pits - everything flows to formula 3 stardom - however a lack of communication with the pit lane (lacking vocal confidence ) and a reliance on instrumentals culminating in the final track monstrosity of Everybody’s fool roots them at the back of grid for the next release - The King

Mansell verdict - promoted to Formula 3
Sponsors sort - poss drummer issue

Thanks to Nigel for his input

F8D64F22-3637-4DF4-BA12-3C3245B6439F.jpeg

I’ve posted on a few Facebook groups to highlight the thread and sent a nice invitation to the official band page to come visit - you never know- otherwise I’ll do the QA in my best impressions
Unfortunately they closed their forum recently; around the time the new album came out. Norman was always popping on there.

Back