Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Also, don’t sleep on the First & Second EP’s either (you can actually find them as an Single LP). I would actually stick those up with Red & Blue as far as their best releases go. It’s more raw and a bit more rawkus than their later releases. It really kinda depends on your mood.

Was just gonna speak up for First & Second -- worth getting in my opinion.

My feeling is that if you like a band and want more you should go back to the beginning - see how they started and hear the progression to where the are now - or where they ended.

(that being said, I'm a completionist, so having gaps in a bands discography gets my OCD worked up)

I'm still digesting Gold & Grey, but the production is total trash which is making it difficult.

It's been sitting over here taunting me for well over a week now - but because I'm hearing not great things I've put it off. Haven't streamed any of it, so I don't know what I'm gonna hear once I put it on.

Here’s how I see the clues for Khemmis

Khemmis - Hunted

1. Genre - metal/Metal Adjacent

Khemmis is categorized as doom metal, sludge metal, and heavy metal

2. Release post-July 1, 1994

Released October 21, 2016

3. Critically acclaimed

Among other things, named 11th best metal album of 2016 by Rolling Stone, Decibel’s #1 best album of the year, Metal Nexus and Metal Injectiondeclared it one of the best albums of 2016.

4. Grand Funk Railroad video “We’re an American Band”

Khemmis is an American band

5. Red white and blue on the cover

Red-blood on swords
White-beard
Blue-almost everything else

6. Legal cannabis

Khemmis is a Colorado band. Cannabis is legal in Colorado.

7. Wizards movie trailer (clarified to be related to artwork in the package and there may be a deeper meaning if you look in the right places)

There’s a wizard dude on the cover.

8. Mushroom cloud from nuclear detonation

Khemmis signed with Nuclear Blast

9. Released in the last 10 years.

It was released in 2016

10. The band has an album that has hit a Billboard chart

Desolation landed on a US Billboard chart

11. Visigoth’s Traitor’s Gate video

The font and artwork is similar. Hunted has the song Three Gates (so there’s a gate overlap). Visigoth’s Traitor’s Gate was on their album Conqueror’s Oath which was mastered by Dave Otero. Dave Otero did the mastering (and mixing and producing) on Hunted.

EDIT: visigoth also has a song called the Revenant King. Seems like the cover of Hunted could be of a Revenant King.

12. Orange

Khemmis uses (or at least has used Orange amps) and provided quotes about the quality of that equipment on Orange Amplification’s site.

Last edited:
Dunno! I haven’t gone through the other bands yet and I still don’t really know what the Visigoth clue really relates to!

That being said, it won’t HURT to order Khemmis! It’s a good album!
i would but i dont have enough money to buy 2 albums

High on Fire - Electric Messiah

1. Genre - metal/Metal Adjacent

High on Fire is categorized as sludge, stoner, doom, and thrash metal

2. Release post-July 1, 1994

Released October 5, 2018

3. Critically acclaimed

It won a Grammy. Also was on the end of year lists of A.V. club, kerrang, loudwire, and revolver.

4. Grand Funk Railroad video “We’re an American Band”

It is an American band

5. Red white and blue on the cover

Red-Crown
White-beard
Blue-Jewel

6. Legal cannabis

High on Fire is a California band. Cannabis is legal in California

7. Wizards movie trailer (clarified to be related to artwork in the package and there may be a deeper meaning if you look in the right places)

There’s a wizard dude on the cover. They were also on a tour called “speed of the wizard.”

8. Mushroom cloud from nuclear detonation

Goatfish specifically denied that the clue necessarily referenced the Nuclear Blast record label.

The name of this band is “High on Fire.”

The nuclear detonation literally shows “high being on fire.”

9. Released in the last 10 years.

It was released in 2018

10. The band has an album that has hit a Billboard chart

The album charted.

11. Visigoth’s Traitor’s Gate video

the Visigoth album and electric messiah came out the same year.

EDIT: I THINK Traitors Gate is a Judas Priest cover. High on Fire also did a Judas Priest cover.

12. Orange

High on Fire uses (or at least has used Orange amps) and was interviewed on Orange Amplification’s site.

Last edited:
Back