Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Just saw this from Wizards:

Blackwolf+and+wife.jpg

Ploog.jpg

Dude looks the same as the guy on the Khemmis cover, beard and bone arms and all.

I ordered it anyway - even if it's not it seems like a good album I'd like.
Same here. I wanted the Ossuarium (Portland, OR death metal) debut 'Living Tomb' anyway, so I grabbed it plus Khemmis' 'Hunted' for $36 shipped via 20 Buck Spin. New rekkids don't have to be expensive. Oh, and right after that, I ordered the Coarse debut 7" from last year (it's metal-adjacent). 'Cuz I'm in that mood. IIRC Coarse was picked up by 6131 Records and has a 12" coming out soon.

I’m not totally convinced it’s Khemmis. It could be High on Fire.

I’m DOUBTING it’s Mastodon or Power Trip due the LEGAL Cannabis clue. The LEGAL part seems to rule out just general genre classification or the band’s fondness of weed. Mastodon is from Georgia and PT is Texas, and cannabis isn’t legal in either place. The PT album was recorded in Philly, and weed ain’t legal in Pennsylvania either. Marijuana is also not legal in Tennessee. But I guess it’s possible that cannabis legalization means the type that doesn’t get you high (that oil for seizures and stuff). In which case, I guess Texas comes back in play.

I am also having a dickens of a time with a Visigoth or nuclear blast connection, but I haven’t looked too hard yet.

I think I’m gonna have to defer to the great hive mind for more insight on those albums.

I’m not totally convinced it’s Khemmis. It could be High on Fire.

I’m DOUBTING it’s Mastodon or Power Trip due the LEGAL Cannabis clue. The LEGAL part seems to rule out just general genre classification or the band’s fondness of weed. Mastodon is from Georgia and PT is Texas, and cannabis isn’t legal in either place. The PT album was recorded in Philly, and weed ain’t legal in Pennsylvania either. Marijuana is also not legal in Tennessee. But I guess it’s possible that cannabis legalization means the type that doesn’t get you high (that oil for seizures and stuff). In which case, I guess Texas comes back in play.

I am also having a dickens of a time with a Visigoth or nuclear blast connection, but I haven’t looked too hard yet.

I think I’m gonna have to defer to the great hive mind for more insight on those albums.
Do you think the Wizards dude I posted above would be just a coincidence? It seems really spot on, but if that was the intent, it is a pretty deep cut of a clue. On first listen I think I would maybe prefer High on Fire, so I don't have any skin in the game. Just wondering what someone else's take on that is.

Last edited:
Do you think the Wizards dude I posted above would be just a coincidence? It seems really spot on, but if that was the intent, it is a pretty deep cut of a clue. On first listen I think I would maybe prefer High on Fire so I don't have any skin in the game. Just wondering what someone else's take on that is.

I’m terrible at guessing these things! I think the Wizards clue, as you pointed out, is the most spot-on. But Goatfish coulda easily thrown that out as a red herring, with other clues matching up better with other albums.

I’m terrible at guessing these things! I think the Wizards clue, as you pointed out, is the most spot-on. But Goatfish coulda easily thrown that out as a red herring, with other clues matching up better with other albums.
Same. With the Vinyl Me, Please guess threads I'm always way too unsure still by the time people have it figured out. But they almost always are right! Sadly, I'm much better at "what if we're wrong" than "i'm sure we're right!"

Same. With the Vinyl Me, Please guess threads I'm always way too unsure still by the time people have it figured out. But they almost always are right! Sadly, I'm much better at "what if we're wrong" than "i'm sure we're right!"

Yeah, that’s me too! I’m like “but wait! Maybe we should wait until a full moon and make a trip to a crossroads for a demon to give us the REAL answer!”

[QUOTE="supahypeag, post: 63554, member: 284" ] But I guess it’s possible that cannabis legalization means the type that doesn’t get you high (that oil for seizures and stuff). In which case, I guess Texas comes back in play.
[/QUOTE]
@supahypeag Now THAT is the type of conjecture that will get you noticed down here at Team PT headquarters!

Btw, I’ve kind of made it a point to not listen to much of the ROTM’s of this forum until I get ‘em. But I listened to just a smidge of the Khemmis and BY LITTLE RICHARD’S GHOST I want that album!

(I know Little Richard is still alive. My statement holds)

Back