Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 15 - September 2020 /// 15-60-75 (The Numbers Band) 'Jimmy Bell's Still In Town' - Win A Prize Box!

I'm in too. I've sent them a message saying I want to pay for postage as it refused to add it when I checked out. I wasn't totally sure about the vocals on this at the beginning but the music is so good I had to go for it. BTW I love the review of the gig included on the link @Yer Ol' Uncle D provided: "Reggae , by nature, is - on the surface, at least - a very boring music. It has no dynamics and little melody." 😂

Screenshot_20200820-104843_Gmail.jpg

Reggae.jpg

Last edited:
Prize Box Entry Update...

I talked with Robert Kidney a few nights ago and he told me they're entirely cleaned out of Jimmy Bell on vinyl. Thanks for your great response in buying directly from the artist!

He also told me the pandemic has things so jacked up he doesn't expect to get more copies til January. He was unsure at this point of how they'll handle orders in the meantime.

With this being the case, I'm altering the record purchase prize entry criteria.

Orders from the band still garner an entry as usual, but, in light of the inventory shortage, I'm also going to offer an entry to anyone who buys the record from any source. As I stated earlier, the ultimate goal is to turn y'all on to some great music, sell a record and get it on your turntable.

If you buy or have bought the record from a source other than the band, please let me know and you'll receive an entry in the drawing.

Thanks again to everyone for participating in the thread and supporting 15-60-75.

I talked with Robert Kidney a few nights ago and he told me they're entirely cleaned out of Jimmy Bell on vinyl. Thanks for your great response in buying directly from the artist!

He also told me the pandemic has things so jacked up he doesn't expect to get more copies til January. He was unsure at this point of how they'll handle orders in the meantime.

With this being the case, I'm altering the record purchase prize entry criteria.

Orders from the band still garner an entry as usual, but, in light of the inventory shortage, I'm also going to offer an entry to anyone who buys the record from any source. As I stated earlier, the ultimate goal is to turn y'all on to some great music, sell a record and get it on your turntable.

If you buy or have bought the record from a source other than the band, please let me know and you'll receive an entry in the drawing.

Thanks again to everyone for participating in the thread and supporting 15-60-75.
So will they have more copies they'll be selling directly at some point? If so, I'm ok with waiting a bit longer in order to directly support the artist 😊

The indication he gave me was they would get a restock but it would be down the road due to the apocalypse.
Understandable, I'll await a restock in their shop as one of the best things about some of the AOTMs is when you get to support the artist directly. I wish I had done that with mine, but hindsight is 20/20 blah blah blah. Thank you for the info! It's always nice to see the support come in from N&G like that, like when my copy of Patrick Sweany got delayed for a bit because the label ran out of mailers 😂

And while I'm on the Robert Kidney conversation, here are a few nuggets he shared with me -
  • His main influences - primal blues, Chuck Berry, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Archie Shepp.
  • The melding of styles was done with complete and total premeditation. Every note was placed there with a purpose.
  • His intent was to create something 'uniquely original'. As Bob put it, "Elton John, he's original, right? I wanted to create something more, something uniquely original."
  • Some of his guitar solos are Chuck Berry riffs played backwards.
  • The song 'Thief' is completely autobiographical and took place on the streets of Chicago after he'd seen a Howlin' Wolf show in 1969.
Here's an interview from earlier this year before their 50th anniversary show. Our conversation had this exact vibe...

This is awesome! The N&G Bump!

And while I'm on the Robert Kidney conversation, here are a few nuggets he shared with me -
  • His main influences - primal blues, Chuck Berry, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Archie Shepp.
  • The melding of styles was done with complete and total premeditation. Every note was placed there with a purpose.
  • His intent was to create something 'uniquely original'. As Bob put it, "Elton John, he's original, right? I wanted to create something more, something uniquely original."
  • Some of his guitar solos are Chuck Berry riffs played backwards.
  • The song 'Thief' is completely autobiographical and took place on the streets of Chicago after he'd seen a Howlin' Wolf show in 1969.
Here's an interview from earlier this year before their 50th anniversary show. Our conversation had this exact vibe...

Damn it, now I wish I could see them live.

Robert didn't mention not being able to fill orders that were already placed.

When I ordered in the past it took a couple weeks to get the goods. From the sound of it, his wife Janet is the whole operation.

I believe I got an update in PayPal after it shipped. If you'd like to check on the status I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an email to janet@numbersband.com.

Since it seems to be a one-woman-operation with shipping fulfillment it wouldn't surprise me if she's a bit swamped by the sudden onslaught of orders. I'm gonna hold off on bugging her right now since others probably will email and ask what's up, but I'm not gonna be alarmed or upset if it takes a month or so for my copy to arrive.

To be fair, I ordered a copy of Aja from Tower Records in California over a month ago and just got a shipping notice a couple of days ago.

I figure they’ll get to it when they get to it. I hadn’t heard of this band until 2 weeks ago, so I’m not going to stress if I don’t receive the product super-duper quick

I think it's incredible that we have all bought them out, although I'm a little worried about what that means for my actual order. I'm using all restraint to not listen on spotify.

And I find it funny how ominous/skeptical Robert's initial contact with @Yer Ol' Uncle D sounded: "I would enjoy a phone conversation with you if you are interested? I'd like to find out more about you and this group you're involved in."

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 3.55.22 PM.png

I reached out because I wasn't charged for shipping and I'd also like to pay the extra cost to get tracked shipping, I got a reply telling me not to worry about the shipping fee and that they would be sending the album with tracking asap.
I wrote them again as tracked shipping to Brazil will probably cost more than the album and it wouldn't be fair for them to eat that cost.
That was 6 days ago, I haven't heard anything back.
I'm not really worried about delays but I'd feel bad if they spent 27 bucks to ship an album that they received 25 for.

Back