Look & Feel

I know some people have mentioned a dark theme.

Do we have any preferences on a color theme here for when we make our owl look and feel.

Should we make both a light and dark version and have them user selectable?

I really like the colours suggested by @zombie.modernist, I think the colours selected lend themselves greatly to both a light and dark theme.

Yes we need a dark theme.. An optional dark theme (so people who hate black cant whinge)

Basically a cut copy of reddits dark mode.

Please!!! :O :O

So took a quick stab at stuff. Doing this is not my normal speed or nature of working, but I never get to work on vinyl related stuff so I put some time aside for this. Perhaps not my finest hour, but hopefully it sparks some conversation. I usually present my work in person, so I've tried to work a deck and presentation into a post here.

Mood:
I wanted to double click on the few suggestions about a "dark mode" which to me lends itself well to vinyl as a hobby. Most of us spin at night after a day of work, the soft glow of light and vinyl seem to go together as conceptual partners. From what I know about this crew, it's a sophisticated bunch, so I wanted to double down on the finer aspects of the hobby.

View attachment 440

Vis ID:
I wanted to avoid any complicated solution for this. I think we have a very narrow space to work in, and readability is key for me. It's no coincidence that lots of apps have recently rebranded to simpler more readable logos, it's just really hard to see stuff on small screens! This solution leans into a Didone typeface, classic sophistication with some web-ready tweaks. The mark aspect of this could lend itself to larger patters or smaller uses like an avatar or favicon.

View attachment 443

Color:
The colors here lean into the ideas of the mood board. I think leading with the dark is obvious for vinyl. The simplicity of the black and white let any color stand out as a surprise. I think the yellow is a nice way to lean into the warmth of vinyl while remaining very obvious for web use.

View attachment 446

Forum:
In use on the forum. Didn't mock up the whole site, but I think the black and white contrast always looks good on the web. The logo remains readable at small size.
View attachment 447

UX/UI:
A bit aspirational as all we have is a forum, but here's how the system could work with a proper custom site.

View attachment 450

T-Shirt:
Did somebody mention T-Shirts??

View attachment 451
Holy shit we have some talented people here

There's currently 20 threads shown per page. Personally, I don't think there's any reason to +/- that number. I'll check to see if the others agree and if it's even possible. (y)

Roger that. I think I'm used to being able to show anywhere from 25-100 on other forums. Helps with having to page through to find older threads in periods of high activity.

Love all the suggestions and ideas in this thread so far, especially the detailed dark theme proposition. I'd echo the bit about the Like button being more distinct when it's been pressed versus not pressed. If the typeface and overall feel were a little less "Facebook"y I'd also love that, though I understand the limitations in the font world.

So took a quick stab at stuff. Doing this is not my normal speed or nature of working, but I never get to work on vinyl related stuff so I put some time aside for this. Perhaps not my finest hour, but hopefully it sparks some conversation. I usually present my work in person, so I've tried to work a deck and presentation into a post here.

Mood:
I wanted to double click on the few suggestions about a "dark mode" which to me lends itself well to vinyl as a hobby. Most of us spin at night after a day of work, the soft glow of light and vinyl seem to go together as conceptual partners. From what I know about this crew, it's a sophisticated bunch, so I wanted to double down on the finer aspects of the hobby.

View attachment 440

Vis ID:
I wanted to avoid any complicated solution for this. I think we have a very narrow space to work in, and readability is key for me. It's no coincidence that lots of apps have recently rebranded to simpler more readable logos, it's just really hard to see stuff on small screens! This solution leans into a Didone typeface, classic sophistication with some web-ready tweaks. The mark aspect of this could lend itself to larger patters or smaller uses like an avatar or favicon.

View attachment 443

Color:
The colors here lean into the ideas of the mood board. I think leading with the dark is obvious for vinyl. The simplicity of the black and white let any color stand out as a surprise. I think the yellow is a nice way to lean into the warmth of vinyl while remaining very obvious for web use.

View attachment 446

Forum:
In use on the forum. Didn't mock up the whole site, but I think the black and white contrast always looks good on the web. The logo remains readable at small size.
View attachment 447

UX/UI:
A bit aspirational as all we have is a forum, but here's how the system could work with a proper custom site.

View attachment 450

T-Shirt:

View attachment 451
Hoooooly smokes. Yes please.

So when I first signed up here I was on mobile, and I was clicking around and I'm sure I found a page that was like a leaderboard of who had the most posts and points and stuff. I can't find anything like that at all now, is that somewhere? Or did I misinterpret what I was reading?

Mood:

View attachment 440

Vis ID:

View attachment 443

Color:

View attachment 446

Forum:
View attachment 447

UX/UI:

View attachment 450

T-Shirt:

View attachment 451
YUP

Working on something close to this
Does this means you guys and gals (the staff) is working with someone on this? Or are you personally working on a proposal for the look and feel of the forum?
Have you discussed how much involvement the community will have on this issue? Some have already posted some designs here, and some have even mentioned the idea of voting for the look and feel, but I wanted to know the staff's perspective on this.

Does this means you guys and gals (the staff) is working with someone on this? Or are you personally working on a proposal for the look and feel of the forum?
Have you discussed how much involvement the community will have on this issue? Some have already posted some designs here, and some have even mentioned the idea of voting for the look and feel, but I wanted to know the staff's perspective on this.

Collectively we've chosen a style we liked from the ideas in this thread and @RenegadeMonster has made it. We've been spending lots of today testing how it effects functionality and tweaking accordingly. Once that's done we'll look to add a logo and then we'll release it. When we do we'll probably start a thread where we explain the story of how this forum came to be and how it's been put together. It's been such a crazy busy few days and we want to share with everyone what's happened in as much detail as possible.

I know some people have mentioned a dark theme.

Do we have any preferences on a color theme here for when we make our owl look and feel.

Should we make both a light and dark version and have them user selectable?

It would be nice to have a toggle for me. I understand the love for dark mode but I personally find light text on a black background very taxing to read.

Back