Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

Thanks - hopefully my pick does not disappoint!
View attachment 21004
tenor.gif

@Joe Mac when will you share your first hint!? Good luck @ThePakoBuelna, the best is yet to come :p @gaporter your pick won't disappoint, it can't!

the wheels are in place and will hopefully start turning very soon, watch this space!

Also I kinda let a few hints go already

not christmas
new genre
not Lisa Hannigan - Passenger (this is an amazing album though so everyone should listen).

Two new hints will land with the thread drop.

the wheels are in place and will hopefully start turning very soon, watch this space!

Also I kinda let a few hints go already

not christmas
new genre
not Lisa Hannigan - Passenger (this is an amazing album though so everyone should listen).

Two new hints will land with the thread drop.

New genre? I hope it's Penguin Café, it's on my want list. It's not a Christmas record, it's a new genre and it's definitely not Lisa Hannigan - Passenger.

If you read into this post too much it may give away some details about my potential AOTM selection, but I feel it is more important to be transparent about this at the moment.

I'm beginning to have some serious concerns and anxieties about the availability of the record I've chosen. It also appears that for those in the US (which would include me), we would be looking at spending at least $25-$30 (including shipping), which is far more than previous AOTMs from what I can tell (and this is assuming we don't face problems with it selling out).

It's heartbreaking because this is a record I really wanted to highlight and at this stage, I worry I couldn't sum up the same amount of passion for another one after having my heart set on this. To be blunt, a lot of my excitement to share this record has turned into dread that the month will be a disaster due to a lack of foresight on my part.

At this point, I suppose I'll try to do some more research, and expect the worst but hope for the best. I'm trying to be rational and not go overboard, but those on the forum who know me best probably can tell you that stressful things like this can really take their toll on me emotionally. Again - trying to remain calm, but I'll just say, things aren't looking the best at the moment. I'm open to any advice people might have about what I can do here.

If you read into this post too much it may give away some details about my potential AOTM selection, but I feel it is more important to be transparent about this at the moment.

I'm beginning to have some serious concerns and anxieties about the availability of the record I've chosen. It also appears that for those in the US (which would include me), we would be looking at spending at least $25-$30 (including shipping), which is far more than previous AOTMs from what I can tell (and this is assuming we don't face problems with it selling out).

It's heartbreaking because this is a record I really wanted to highlight and at this stage, I worry I couldn't sum up the same amount of passion for another one after having my heart set on this. To be blunt, a lot of my excitement to share this record has turned into dread that the month will be a disaster due to a lack of foresight on my part.

At this point, I suppose I'll try to do some more research, and expect the worst but hope for the best. I'm trying to be rational and not go overboard, but those on the forum who know me best probably can tell you that stressful things like this can really take their toll on me emotionally. Again - trying to remain calm, but I'll just say, things aren't looking the best at the moment. I'm open to any advice people might have about what I can do here.

I think we said to aim for roughly $/€/£30 as a maximum. Don’t fuss too much if it’s towards the top if you really believe in it, particularly if it’s 2LP or a really nice pressing/package.

Yeah, don’t sweat it if it’s on the higher end of the range. I THINK the price guidelines was to weed out like the $55 MoFi pressings and/or expensive, super-rare limited releases.

And as we’ve seen, if the availability is a problem, it’s not, like, the greatest thing that can happen, but it’s not the end of the world. @agutierrezb had an availability issue, but that was a great month! A lot of people learned about flamenco (and Brazilian music, due to my early wrong guesses). And most importantly, he got to share something he was passionate about with the community. I’m looking forward to discovering the album you’re passionate about!

Yeah, don’t sweat it if it’s on the higher end of the range. I THINK the price guidelines was to weed out like the $55 MoFi pressings and/or expensive, super-rare limited releases.

And as we’ve seen, if the availability is a problem, it’s not, like, the greatest thing that can happen, but it’s not the end of the world. @agutierrezb had an availability issue, but that was a great month! A lot of people learned about flamenco (and Brazilian music, due to my early wrong guesses). And most importantly, he got to share something he was passionate about with the community. I’m looking forward to discovering the album you’re passionate about!

Agreed - everyone can stream it - and those that really want it will pay $30. Simple !

I think we said to aim for roughly $/€/£30 as a maximum. Don’t fuss too much if it’s towards the top if you really believe in it, particularly if it’s 2LP or a really nice pressing/package.

Agreed - everyone can stream it - and those that really want it will pay $30. Simple !
Thank you for the encouraging responses. I contacted the label to see if they knew how many copies they had in stock, but who knows if they will get back to me.

Thank you for the encouraging responses. I contacted the label to see if they knew how many copies they had in stock, but who knows if they will get back to me.

is it available on amazon through either itself, a third party seller or ideally both. Or eBay too? I think you Americans will more than likely have to depend on those two for my pick, there should be more choice for buyers in Europe.

is it available on amazon through either itself, a third party seller or ideally both. Or eBay too? I think you Americans will more than likely have to depend on those two for my pick, there should be more choice for
buyers in Europe.
It is available on Amazon, though it should be noted it's been fluctuating in and out of stock for a while, as if they are only putting so many up for sale at a time. So it will go out of stock but with the message that more are on the way. As of right now you can "pre-order" it on Amazon.

There also seem to be quite a few listings on both eBay and Discogs (of varying prices), so I suppose if it comes to it, that's where we'll mostly be relying on.

Hey @ChristoBee , I would request being removed from the list of potential candidates. I'm still not caught up with viewing all the other threads (or even listening to the albums selected :oops: ). I don't think I would be able to run a quality thread given my schedule these days. Happy to follow along for now and will get back to you once I'm ready.

Hey @ChristoBee , I would request being removed from the list of potential candidates. I'm still not caught up with viewing all the other threads (or even listening to the albums selected :oops: ). I don't think I would be able to run a quality thread given my schedule these days. Happy to follow along for now and will get back to you once I'm ready.

Sure, no problem. Being also currently swamped by work and personal stuff, I get it. :)

Back