N&G Secret Santa 2022

ok, so I've either been very good this year, or Santa has gotten something mixed up, because I received a SECOND secret santa gift today? 😱
View attachment 161813
it's actually not clear which member hooked this up, but THANK YOU for such an amazingly thoughtful package. I'm excited to spend some time with that Low EP, they are indeed one of my favorite bands of all time (😭😭) but there are still corners of their discography I have yet to explore, and this seems like it might prefigure some of their mind-blowing recent engagement with electronic music. and I really did need a copy of RADIO CITY. THIRD/SISTER LOVERS is my #1 favorite album of all time (what can I say, I’ve got my demons…) and RC isn’t too far behind. i once passed on what now seems like an extremely reasonably priced OG and haven’t been able to accept that the opportunity is not going to come around again, so having a really good reissue will not only complete my collection and bring joy to my ears—it will relieve me of that ever-nagging regret!

the book is also extremely cool, and perhaps more appropriate than you even know! i’m organizing a museum exhibition set to open in January (😰) of an artist whose work deals a lot with records and the history of recorded music. sure enough, he’s in there! i really do geek out about this kind of thing so it’ll be a great reference.

View attachment 161815

anyway, thanks SO MUCH for the records, book, koozie, and of course the note! it seems really unfair that i’ve gotten two santa packages though—did someone miss out? if anyone has to drop out and left a santee ungifted, i’ll be happy to put together another package to even things out—or i can just take it to the PIF thread!
Not sure how you got two Secret Santas, but I was the sender of that package and I'm glad you enjoyed!

ok, so I've either been very good this year, or Santa has gotten something mixed up, because I received a SECOND secret santa gift today? 😱
View attachment 161813
it's actually not clear which member hooked this up, but THANK YOU for such an amazingly thoughtful package. I'm excited to spend some time with that Low EP, they are indeed one of my favorite bands of all time (😭😭) but there are still corners of their discography I have yet to explore, and this seems like it might prefigure some of their mind-blowing recent engagement with electronic music. and I really did need a copy of RADIO CITY. THIRD/SISTER LOVERS is my #1 favorite album of all time (what can I say, I’ve got my demons…) and RC isn’t too far behind. i once passed on what now seems like an extremely reasonably priced OG and haven’t been able to accept that the opportunity is not going to come around again, so having a really good reissue will not only complete my collection and bring joy to my ears—it will relieve me of that ever-nagging regret!

the book is also extremely cool, and perhaps more appropriate than you even know! i’m organizing a museum exhibition set to open in January (😰) of an artist whose work deals a lot with records and the history of recorded music. sure enough, he’s in there! i really do geek out about this kind of thing so it’ll be a great reference.

View attachment 161815

anyway, thanks SO MUCH for the records, book, koozie, and of course the note! it seems really unfair that i’ve gotten two santa packages though—did someone miss out? if anyone has to drop out and left a santee ungifted, i’ll be happy to put together another package to even things out—or i can just take it to the PIF thread!
If I remember correctly, one member wanted to be involved but only SEND and not receive. Great place we have here, and cool for someone to get an extra gift!

C874DB96-317C-4099-B031-DB7302A141D2.jpeg

Wow, Santa! You sure outdid yourself. So much here!

First off, super cool shirt. I collect record store shirts and this is right up my alley! Love the tote and extras as well! Can never have enough stickers, and I use postcards regular.y

That Albert Collins was in my WANTLIST.. and is much appreciated! Can't wait to spin it.

I know literally nothing about Chooglin' and Charlie Parr, so I am excited to go into these blind! Some of my favorite new discoveries have been from my Santa gifts.

I am guessing my Santa Baby resides in the MSP area.. whoever you are, thanks so much! I will tag you when I spin each record, with my thoughts and gratitude!

Happy Holidays and Merry XMas!

Edit: Reading the back letters now! @AndySlash !!

Edit 2: Wow @AndySlash - thanks so much for the thoughtful run downs of each album. I am SO EXCITED to listen to them!

You rule.

Last edited:
Hello Secret Santa! Entirely excited to give all these three a listen. Thank you so much, love the packaging! Gonna spin the JD McPherson this weekend while my family is in town and opening presents. Cocoa Sugar is one I recently fell in love with, and the Khruangbin collab with VFT is such a great listen.
917D09BB-A63A-4041-9D0D-68DCB9436645.jpeg
F28BA54F-5090-43AE-A533-639598F6114D.jpeg
9D7CB3C7-FBA4-4F1A-ADFD-A2DAFEE590FD.jpeg
AE94E80E-B6ED-41CF-849A-1E4722A00372.jpeg

View attachment 161859

Wow, Santa! You sure outdid yourself. So much here!

First off, super cool shirt. I collect record store shirts and this is right up my alley! Love the tote and extras as well! Can never have enough stickers, and I use postcards regular.y

That Albert Collins was in my WANTLIST.. and is much appreciated! Can't wait to spin it.

I know literally nothing about Chooglin' and Charlie Parr, so I am excited to go into these blind! Some of my favorite new discoveries have been from my Santa gifts.

I am guessing my Santa Baby resides in the MSP area.. whoever you are, thanks so much! I will tag you when I spin each record, with my thoughts and gratitude!

Happy Holidays and Merry XMas!

Edit: Reading the back letters now! @AndySlash !!

Edit 2: Wow @AndySlash - thanks so much for the thoughtful run downs of each album. I am SO EXCITED to listen to them!

You rule.

Heck yes, Charlie Parr!

20221223_092233.jpg

Woo-ho. I arrived in the UK last night for Christmas, and there were a few records there that I ordered so I raced to open them. And suddenly there were two I didn't order. "Surprise me" was my only real suggestion and my Secret Santa succeeded there with two fantastic choices. Aretha is one of my all-time favourites and I've eyed this album several times so super stoked to get it. And I'm embarrassed to say I don't have any Donny Hathaway so really chuffed to get this too. Thanks Santa for fabulous gifts. Merry Christmas to you, one and all!

View attachment 161923

Woo-ho. I arrived in the UK last night for Christmas, and there were a few records there that I ordered so I raced to open them. And suddenly there were two I didn't order. "Surprise me" was my only real suggestion and my Secret Santa succeeded there with two fantastic choices. Aretha is one of my all-time favourites and I've eyed this album several times so super stoked to get it. And I'm embarrassed to say I don't have any Donny Hathaway so really chuffed to get this too. Thanks Santa for fabulous gifts. Merry Christmas to you, one and all!
YAAAAYYY!!! I know you’re a big fan of Aretha & Curtis Mayfield so I knew that Sparkle soundtrack would be a great choice and Donny’s one of my favourite vocalists (that album is one I’ve been meaning to get for a long while, but it hasn’t happened yet for whatever reason). I’m so happy you love them! Hope you have a Merry Christmas as well!

YAAAAYYY!!! I know you’re a big fan of Aretha & Curtis Mayfield so I knew that Sparkle soundtrack would be a great choice and Donny’s one of my favourite vocalists (that album is one I’ve been meaning to get for a long while, but it hasn’t happened yet for whatever reason). I’m so happy you love them! Hope you have a Merry Christmas as well!
Thank you so much, and Merry Christmas to you!

Dear Santa (aka @Fleetwood-Matt ):

Wow, you really chose two great ones. And I love the letter too where detailed why you chose these based on my (somewhat overwhelming) wantlist/collection.

IMG_2612.jpg

I agree that "Strange Mercy" is the album when St. Vincent really starts to cook with gas; this album represented a major missing piece in my collection (saw her way back in the day at Pitchfork and also on the tour with David Byrne). And the Theo Croker is such a great pick given my main interest in jazz but it's slightly tangential to the classics in my collection. I look forward to spinning these ASAP!

Merry Christmas to you, @Fleetwood-Matt, and all the N&Gers out there. I really appreciate you all. Cheers.

Santa? I haven't heard this before, so it must be! Some new music is always nice to come home to from an extra long night of work. I'm really excited to check her out!
View attachment 162094
Yoooo! Please message me when you give that a listen, that’s become one of my favorites of the last 5 years and I think it’s a really serene and beautiful piece of music. One more is on its way to you from me!

CE19F0FA-7BBA-4D05-90DA-18975CF2CF37.jpeg

Thank you Santa!!! You were right, we do have really similar musical tastes! The Smashing Pumpkins are one of my favorites, along with the Foos. I had Spiderland on cassette, but wore my tape out. I’m excited to spin it on vinyl for the first time! Great picks!! Thank you so much!!!

Yoooo! Please message me when you give that a listen, that’s become one of my favorites of the last 5 years and I think it’s a really serene and beautiful piece of music. One more is on its way to you from me!
Thank you so much, and Merry Christmas! I'll have the day off tomorrow to dive into it.

Back