N&G Secret Santa - 2020

i saved my secret santa packages for today. behold!:

265C7643-2DB0-4F6B-BD2C-2C4C83901C18.jpeg

sego - sego sucks

BFF2B104-7DA2-42D1-88E6-16ABF2BE333A.jpeg

eisley - room noises

152726F3-8FE4-4ED2-B9BB-45C11626ACDD.jpeg

the faint - capsule: 1999-2016

these are all bands completely new to me, though an ex-girlfriend back in the day was into the faint, so i probably heard some of their stuff back then. i gave them all a spin today, but none got fully attentive listens as i was getting things together for christmas, so i look forward to giving them the listens they deserve.

sego sounded like a blend of pixies, lcd soundsystem, the strokes, and a couple others i thought about when listening but am forgetting now. they seemed to not take themselves seriously, either, but i suppose that can be gleaned from the album title alone.

eisley appears to be a family affair, and there’s a couple name producers in the credits, so they must’ve turned some heads. this was some breezy indie pop with some pleasant female vocals and harmonies, and i can be a sucker for those.

of the three bands in this secret sants stash i’m thinking the faint had the most success, but even with an ex being into them i did not recognize any of their songs here, so there’s that. the dance rock on here got my head bobbing while wrapping gifts.

i should mention all the records were colored, and the sego record even has a cool lenticular cover, so these albums stand out even without considering the music on them.

much thanks to @DevonJD, whom i believe to be my santa based on the amazon gift note in one of the boxes and an earlier post in here. i appreciate you sharing some of your favorite records with me!

So glad these arrived safely! I had a lot of fun going through your collection and wants list to see what you were in to. Turns out we have quite similar tastes! When I saw your wants list I immediately knew which two I was going for. Ethiopian Knights is a fantastic record in my opinion. It's so funky! I'm still somewhat new to jazz, but this is one I enjoy and hope you do too. I've got a few Donald Byrd records and I love the range he has (I feel similarly about Herbie Hancock). This one has inspired me to continue learning more about Byrd, his discography, and more generally jazz-funk/jazz-fusion.

Blue Jam at Chess was the one I was quite excited for you to get. Being from Chicago and a big fan of the blues, this one ticked all the boxes. Willie Dixon, he's the man. Otis Spann is probably my favorite piano blues player, I really want to find some of his records. He's played with so many greats too. I'm quite jealous of this actually, I might have to track down a copy myself one day!

Fun story: my family is Dutch by heritage and my grandmother in particular was very into genealogy. She did a bunch of work tracing our family back to Holland going back several generations. I have all her work on that, but much of it is in Dutch! So for the past few years, I've been trying to learn using Duolingo just so I can know what I'm looking at when reviewing some of the work she did (my plan is to digitize what I can). Fast forward to this, I've had a fun time testing my Dutch while shopping and tracking the packages (that's a story of it's own).

I hope you have a very happy holiday and a wonderful new year @Speedracer

Haha that's quitte the coincidence, that you have Dutch heritage and was chosen to be my Secret Santa. As I said in previous post, you did an amazing job! If you get the chance, definitely track down a copy of Blue Jam at Chess (I did the same with the record I got my Santee 😅). Such a special record. It's really cool to just hear them talking in the studio in between tracks.

Hope you have a happy holiday and new year as well!

i saved my secret santa packages for today. behold!:

View attachment 81452

sego - sego sucks

View attachment 81453

eisley - room noises

View attachment 81454

the faint - capsule: 1999-2016

these are all bands completely new to me, though an ex-girlfriend back in the day was into the faint, so i probably heard some of their stuff back then. i gave them all a spin today, but none got fully attentive listens as i was getting things together for christmas, so i look forward to giving them the listens they deserve.

sego sounded like a blend of pixies, lcd soundsystem, the strokes, and a couple others i thought about when listening but am forgetting now. they seemed to not take themselves seriously, either, but i suppose that can be gleaned from the album title alone.

eisley appears to be a family affair, and there’s a couple name producers in the credits, so they must’ve turned some heads. this was some breezy indie pop with some pleasant female vocals and harmonies, and i can be a sucker for those.

of the three bands in this secret sants stash i’m thinking the faint had the most success, but even with an ex being into them i did not recognize any of their songs here, so there’s that. the dance rock on here got my head bobbing while wrapping gifts.

i should mention all the records were colored, and the sego record even has a cool lenticular cover, so these albums stand out even without considering the music on them.

much thanks to @DevonJD, whom i believe to be my santa based on the amazon gift note in one of the boxes and an earlier post in here. i appreciate you sharing some of your favorite records with me!
It was me! Glad it wasn’t a flop!

While your identity remains a mystery, a very hearty holiday thanks to my Secret Santa! A couple of hot slabs to keep the stereo toastier than the fireplace!

Suck It And See is a low-key banger, a simmering record that teases suggestively and glares menacingly in equal measure. Arctic Monkeys at some of their best. Love it!

Like just about everyone of a certain, ahem, vintage I never actually owned a real copy of Back To Black, instead swapping out various incarnations of low-bit Limewire sourced CD-r bootlegs whenever they got too scratched to play. Looking forward to properly rediscovering Amy in the medium she was meant for!

Oh, and they were individually wrapped and included a card. Nailed it 👍

PXL_20201225_184842057.jpg

While your identity remains a mystery, a very hearty holiday thanks to my Secret Santa! A couple of hot slabs to keep the stereo toastier than the fireplace!

Suck It And See is a low-key banger, a simmering record that teases suggestively and glares menacingly in equal measure. Arctic Monkeys at some of their best. Love it!

Like just about everyone of a certain, ahem, vintage I never actually owned a real copy of Back To Black, instead swapping out various incarnations of low-bit Limewire sourced CD-r bootlegs whenever they got too scratched to play. Looking forward to properly rediscovering Amy in the medium she was meant for!

Oh, and they were individually wrapped and included a card. Nailed it 👍

View attachment 81497
Merry Christmas
I was your Santa!! Hope you enjoy! :)

After spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family, I headed home to my apartment this evening to find my Secret Santa's package waiting in my mailbox. It was a pleasant surprise to get the package on Christmas Day, after days of agonizing waits and uncertainty over whether the postal service would get their sticky pudding together. Even more surprising to me is that another package with another record is on the way.

@Ghost gave me Black Pumas' self titled, a record I've been meaning to check out after loving "Colors" and "Fire" but never got around to for the longest time, along with a handwritten note about how he got to this recommendation. (He knocked it out of the park when he said I am a fan of rock in all its forms.) I'm definitely looking forward to giving this a spin. Thanks so much!

niTZao3.jpg

On a related note: The only thing I really know about Black Pumas' self titled going into it is the running joke on the forum about how many variants of the record there are, and I even referenced it on a radio show I hosted a few months ago (the story begins at 2:59:48). In case anyone is wondering, this particular variant is the red and black marble.

Last edited:
After spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family, I headed home to my apartment this evening to find my Secret Santa's package waiting in my mailbox. It was a pleasant surprise to get the package on Christmas Day, after days of agonizing waits and uncertainty over whether the postal service would get their sticky pudding together. Even more surprising to me is that another package with another record is on the way.

@Ghost gave me Black Pumas' self titled, a record I've been meaning to check out after loving "Colors" and "Fire" but never got around to for the longest time, along with a handwritten note about how he got to this recommendation. (He knocked it out of the park when he said I am a fan of rock in all its forms.) I'm definitely looking forward to giving this a spin. Thanks so much!

niTZao3.jpg

On a related note: The only thing I really know about Black Pumas' self titled going into it is the running joke on the forum about how many variants of the record there are, and I even referenced it on a radio show I hosted a few months ago (the story begins at 2:59:48). In case anyone is wondering, this particular variant is the red and black marble.
Good god that HAULED ASS to you. I’m truly shocked, so happy you are excited for the pick and the second album on the way is right off your want list and will be perfect for winter nights! It’s one of my favorite albums of all time! Merry Christmas my friend, enjoy ❤️🎅

niTZao3.jpg

because of that interview i now had to search for "black pumas" exclusively on the preorder thread and was shocked to find 7 pages

niTZao3.jpg

My favorite album of 2019 - Old Man is such a jam.

Eyyyy it got here on Christmas Eve!! Thanks @ModernCyrus for the records! One from my wishlist and one that's just an essential album I was missing!!

Thanks so much, especially for making the time between shifts at the ER. Truly thank you for your service during one hell of a year. :)

View attachment 81532
Absolutely no problem my man. I see my Christmas luck hasn’t run out, as it made it there before the day! Enjoy!

Back