N&G Secret Santa - 2020

It looks like my secret Santa post got deleted during downtime! Big thanks to @MadLucas for knocking my picks out of the park! The Four Tet has been on my want list for years but I never got around to picking it up. It’s a particularly good choice because my fiancé LOVES Four Tet so she felt like she got a gift today as well, which is always lovely.

The showstopper for me was the Dorothy Ashby record that I was completely unfamiliar with, I had it spinning while we were getting our work done and we both couldn’t stop remarking how enjoyable of a jazz record it is. The harp and flute combination is absolutely fascinating and super fun to listen to. It’s also awesome that it isn’t on streaming services, I now feel like I have a little secret piece of music heheheheh.

The continued generosity found in this little corner of the internet continues to astound me and I can honestly say it has been an absolute safe space for me through out this exhausting year. Appreciate you all so much, thank you all for the company and entertainment. Happy holidays everyone ❤️8CCCCEB4-E9DD-48B6-AB8B-FBFFE2FCE5FE.jpeg

It looks like my secret Santa post got deleted during downtime! Big thanks to @MadLucas for knocking my picks out of the park! The Four Tet has been on my want list for years but I never got around to picking it up. It’s a particularly good choice because my fiancé LOVES Four Tet so she felt like she got a gift today as well, which is always lovely.

The showstopper for me was the Dorothy Ashby record that I was completely unfamiliar with, I had it spinning while we were getting our work done and we both couldn’t stop remarking how enjoyable of a jazz record it is. The harp and flute combination is absolutely fascinating and super fun to listen to. It’s also awesome that it isn’t on streaming services, I now feel like I have a little secret piece of music heheheheh.

The continued generosity found in this little corner of the internet continues to astound me and I can honestly say it has been an absolute safe space for me through out this exhausting year. Appreciate you all so much, thank you all for the company and entertainment. Happy holidays everyone ❤️View attachment 80380

Beyond thrilled that you dug this, was a pleasure to be Santa :)

The continued generosity found in this little corner of the internet continues to astound me and I can honestly say it has been an absolute safe space for me through out this exhausting year. Appreciate you all so much, thank you all for the company and entertainment. Happy holidays everyone ❤️View attachment 80380
Dorothy Ashby is an absolute gem of a musician!

Wow, wow, wow! Blown away by the great job done by my Santa @dhodo who completely crushed it with the curation based on my collection. THANK YOU!!!!

20201216_083733.jpg

First up is Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus. I only got into jazz in the last few years, but it's quickly become an important part of my collection. Part of the reason for that is my wife loves to listen to jazz with me, hard bop being her favorite. I couldn't wait to spin this one, it went right on the table, to which my wife said "this is excellent, @dhodo picked a really good one." Thank you for this one.

Next, Fenton Robinson - Somebody Loan Me A Dime. I am so psyched for this one. As a born and raised Chicagoan I have a soft spot for Chicago Blues. I've heard Fenton Robinson a few times but not this one and don't have any of his albums. I'm especially excited for this one. Thank you!

BONUS: Louie Armstrong and Earl Hines - The Louis Armstrong Story Volume III. I love spinning Louis, especially with my kids, they love horns (so do I). This one is going to get a lot of spins from us. There is something endearing about Louis on vinyl too, it just makes good sense. I'm happy to have this one, I might need to chase down the other volumes! Thank you!

My favorite part of this though is your note and the thought and passion you put into picking these records for me. Like you, N&G is my favorite place on the internet and I don't know that I would have made it through 2020 without it! From the bottom of my heart, thank you @dhodo and happy holidays to all!

I am genuinely at a loss for words. My secret Santa really out-did himself with this incredibly thoughtful and amazing package. @marshall thank you so much! It’s truly overwhelming and I cannot express how much the amount of thought you put into this means. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I’m excited about the book, btw! It looks awesome.

10357CE7-66BC-4E43-8AA5-DC73DF3260C7.jpeg

I know we’re all very fidgety about our gifts getting to each other on time, but man do I feel for those USPS workers right now. This time of the year must be so difficult under normal circumstances, but I can’t even imagine what it’s like right now.

I am genuinely at a loss for words. My secret Santa really out-did himself with this incredibly thoughtful and amazing package. @marshall thank you so much! It’s truly overwhelming and I cannot express how much the amount of thought you put into this means. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I’m excited about the book, btw! It looks awesome.

View attachment 80411
Hope you enjoy!

Wow, wow, wow! Blown away by the great job done by my Santa @dhodo who completely crushed it with the curation based on my collection. THANK YOU!!!!

View attachment 80407

First up is Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus. I only got into jazz in the last few years, but it's quickly become an important part of my collection. Part of the reason for that is my wife loves to listen to jazz with me, hard bop being her favorite. I couldn't wait to spin this one, it went right on the table, to which my wife said "this is excellent, @dhodo picked a really good one." Thank you for this one.

Next, Fenton Robinson - Somebody Loan Me A Dime. I am so psyched for this one. As a born and raised Chicagoan I have a soft spot for Chicago Blues. I've heard Fenton Robinson a few times but not this one and don't have any of his albums. I'm especially excited for this one. Thank you!

BONUS: Louie Armstrong and Earl Hines - The Louis Armstrong Story Volume III. I love spinning Louis, especially with my kids, they love horns (so do I). This one is going to get a lot of spins from us. There is something endearing about Louis on vinyl too, it just makes good sense. I'm happy to have this one, I might need to chase down the other volumes! Thank you!

My favorite part of this though is your note and the thought and passion you put into picking these records for me. Like you, N&G is my favorite place on the internet and I don't know that I would have made it through 2020 without it! From the bottom of my heart, thank you @dhodo and happy holidays to all!
So glad you, and especially your wife, are happy with them! Happy Holidays!

Those really are great Louis collections. Too many reissues are focused on his late stuff, but he never would have been famous if not for what he was doing back then. Sorry it is noisy. The ones I have are too even though they look super clean. Maybe getting some later editions of them would be quieter, not sure if I wrote that in the note or not.

Back