My Morning Jacket

I would kill to see MMJ to go back to their roots and put out a pure southern rock album. I will still see them live every time I can because they're the best live band working but I haven't loved any of their albums since Z.

Absolutely stunning. Besides the music, I really enjoyed the cinematography/editing too! The hazy ghosting in IWSYS, and the split screen shots of Jim & Carl (or Jim & different angle Jim). Most fun I've had in weeks.
I really enjoyed it too, although (not to be that guy) as someone who was there on night 2, I was a little disappointed that the cinematography didn’t really capture how stunning the Red Rocks setting is in person.

I really enjoyed it too, although (not to be that guy) as someone who was there on night 2, I was a little disappointed that the cinematography didn’t really capture how stunning the Red Rocks setting is in person.
Agreed, I got no indication of what the venue was really like. It did seem like an entirely night-time show. I wonder if it would have filmed better if it started in the early evening as the sun was setting or something.

I would kill to see MMJ to go back to their roots and put out a pure southern rock album. I will still see them live every time I can because they're the best live band working but I haven't loved any of their albums since Z.
I agree with this but wouldn’t hold my breath. Jim’s muse is taking him where it takes him and I don’t think it’s taking him back to It Still Moves.

Still those later albums have produced a pretty respectable number of songs that kick ass live even if the studio versions aren’t great.

Agreed, I got no indication of what the venue was really like. It did seem like an entirely night-time show. I wonder if it would have filmed better if it started in the early evening as the sun was setting or something.
I can see that. The sun was basically setting (or just set) as they started Victory Dance, which I think was pretty intentional - "hope to watch the victory dance in the evening's setting sun".

I hope if they put out night 2, they show more of the audience and lights bouncing off the rocks - in particular during Steam Engine.

I agree with this but wouldn’t hold my breath. Jim’s muse is taking him where it takes him and I don’t think it’s taking him back to It Still Moves.

Still those later albums have produced a pretty respectable number of songs that kick ass live even if the studio versions aren’t great.

I completely agree with this. Victory Dance, I'm Amazed, Black Metal, Touch Me Pt 2 all rip live and I didn't care for any of the studio versions all that much.

I completely agree with this. Victory Dance, I'm Amazed, Black Metal, Touch Me Pt 2 all rip live and I didn't care for any of the studio versions all that much.
This list (plus Big Decisions) is basically what I had in mind. After Red Rocks 2 last year one of my takeaways was “man Black Metal actually really slaps!” Then I went back to the album and thought “man those mushrooms really must have gotten to me!”

I ride hard for Evil Urges & Circuital.

The Waterfall might end up being their Zooropa.

I was there night 2 as well and it was stunning. I was a little disappointed in the sound there though. Where I was sitting at least, the guitar tone was absolutely piercing. My wife was actually covering her ears at some points. It was one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to nonetheless.

Back