Music News / Reviews

Finishing up my first ever listen to Coil’s Horse Rotorvator because if this review:

And holy smokes. What a powerful, progressive work of art about the inevitability of death and the self loathing of your own “transgressions” as it were because it’s really a meditation in being gay in the height of the worst of the AIDS “scare.” It’s something else. Cinematic, symphonic, industrial, jazzy. Just floored.
oh I don't think the pitchfork review mentions it (I looked it over and I don't remember it from when I first read it,) but speaking of Marc Almond, Coil and the AIDS plague, are you familiar with their "Tainted Love" cover? It's from 1984 and it's got a young Balance as a man dying of AIDS, Sleazy as a hospital orderly and a very brief cameo from Marc Almond as the angel of death. It takes the song and makes it a harrowing thing that is hard to look away from. The video was put in the London MOMA collection.

oh I don't think the pitchfork review mentions it (I looked it over and I don't remember it from when I first read it,) but speaking of Marc Almond, Coil and the AIDS plague, are you familiar with their "Tainted Love" cover? It's from 1984 and it's got a young Balance as a man dying of AIDS, Sleazy as a hospital orderly and a very brief cameo from Marc Almond as the angel of death. It takes the song and makes it a harrowing thing that is hard to look away from. The video was put in the London MOMA collection.

Wow.

I forgot the Polaris Prize longlist was announced earlier this week... I can safely say it's my favourite music award

The Polaris Music Prize is a not-for-profit organization that annually honours and rewards artists who produce Canadian music albums of distinction. A select panel of music critics judge and award the Prize without regard to musical genre or commercial popularity.

There are a couple of albums on this list I still need to check out, but I think this may be a record for how many albums on the longlist I've already heard. Here are some of the finest Canadian albums released between May 1st of last year and May 1st of this year:

ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - Darling the Dawn
Alvvays - Blue Rev
Aquakultre - Don't Trip
Aysanabee - Watin
Badge Époque Ensemble - Clouds of Joy
Begonia - Powder Blue
Bibi Club - Le soleil et la mer
BIG|BRAVE - nature morte
Philippe Brach - Les gens qu'on aime
Mariel Buckley - Everywhere I Used To Be
Daniel Caesar - NEVER ENOUGH
Chiiild - Better Luck in the Next Life
Feist - Multitudes
Debby Friday - Good Luck
Gayance - Mascarade
Ghostkeeper - Multidimensional Culture
Home Front - Games of Power
JayWood - Slingshot
Khotin - Release Spirit
Thierry Larose - Sprint!
Murray Lightburn - Once Upon a Time in Montreal
Isabella Lovestory - Amor Hardcore
Dan Mangan - Being Somewhere
N NAO - L'eau et les rêves
Tami Neilson - Kingmaker
Eliza Niemi - Staying Mellow Blows
Nico Paulo - Nico Paulo
Planet Giza - Ready When You Are
poolblood - mole
Jessie Reyez - Yessie
The Sadies - Colder Streams
Jairus Sharif - Water & Tools
Andy Shauf - Norm
Dylan Sinclair - No Longer in the Suburbs
Snotty Nose Rez Kids - I'm Good, HBU?
Alexandra Stréliski - Néo-Romance
U.S. Girls - Bless This Mess
Witch Prophet - Gateway Experience
Yoo Doo Right - A Murmur, Boundless to the East
Zoon - Bekka Ma'iingan

My knee-jerk shortlist is below, but with eight albums still to check out it's likely to change a bit yet.
Looking forward to seeing how it lines up with the official shortlist on July 13!

ALL HANDS_MAKE LIGHT - Darling the Dawn
Mariel Buckley - Everywhere I Used To Be
Debby Friday - Good Luck
Dan Mangan - Being Somewhere
The Sadies - Colder Streams
Jairus Sharif - Water & Tools
Andy Shauf - Norm
Snotty Nose Rez Kids - I'm Good, HBU?
Alexandra Stréliski - Néo-Romance
Witch Prophet - Gateway Experience

Like, what the fuck is this shit?
That's the pedigree of the new Foo Fighters according to discogs:

Let's get Ryan K Smith to cut it, send it to GZ for the metal work and then send that to fucking Memphis. They could have let me cut it for like a 1000th of the price - not sure it would be discernably different after Memphis gets done with it.

It's a decent article. The biggest problem with St Anger is that it's self-indulgent bullshit. The things that suck about it: shitty lyrics, no solos, song arrangements that turn every song into a plodding 7 minute riff barrage endurance contest, that fucking snare drum, the entire SKOM fiasco, etc., all could have been solved if either James or Lars (or both) had someone around that they trusted to tell them "this is bullshit and you are sucking really bad", and they had the courage to listen to it and accept it.

Which is essentially what they did with Rick Rubin on Death Magnetic, whose advice was basically "what if Metallica in 2008 did not suck like it does? What if 2008 'tallica made the record that logically should have come between AJFA and TBA? Thrash with songwriting chops and the lyrics don't suck ass. And solos." Presumably Kirk slipped Rick a $50 and he mentioned the solos to the band a few times.

I have hated on AJFA before and regretably I think there's no real fixing that record -- the band doesn't want to admit they fucked up, Jason would like everyone to shut up about it and ultimately Lars' criticisms about the sound are true. Which is something Flemming Rasmussen should have been fired for, a lot, but it's just as likely the band wasn't willing to listen to guitar sound advice. But maybe SA could be redeemed by re-recording it. Fucking switch out the snare and put solos on it. The lyrics will still be My First Therapy bullshit but whatever at least it won't be boring for the whole 70 minutes.

It’s funny to me that Rick Rubin would be like “oh fifty bucks, yeah I’ll see what I can do.”

Every once in a while I stumble upon a song that just latches on to me and won't let go. I love it when it happens. Some combination of the melody, the arrangement, the lyrics, the delivery, and the complexity of the song just comes together in a way that speaks to me at every level of my being, at least for at time. And during that time, I just can't stop listening to the song and trying to break it down in my head until every fucking nuance has worked its way into my cells. Currently, the song that won't let go is Wednesday's "Chosen to Believe." Fuck. What a banger! The lyrics are provocative and seductive to me in some way I don't quite understand, Karly Hartzman's voice just rips me up, and the band absolutely kills it. Extra bonus is that I can delude myself into thinking I can accompany the song at my drum kit.

Check it out here. Definitely worth double-digit listens.

And here's a live version:

So my local Radio Station has this weird tradition of spending the summer vacation Sundays by playing topical 100 lists that get elected by musicians, radio host, record execs, record store owners etc (142 people this year) who each create a top ten and the 100 best are calculated from that.
It's year 6 and the topics get more varied, so ii was best 100 songs about the radio yesterday. Here is the list as a spotify playlist, next week is best Songs about sex
Joy division was first this time

The are doing it again this year. First sunday was best breakup songs

I've developed a LOT of mixed feelings about Dr. Dre over the last thirty years, but I couldn't possibly agree with him more here...

“Anybody that’s talking about the state of hip hop right now, when talking about it from a negative place, sounds like somebody’s fuckin’ grandfather,” said Dre.
He continued, “This is just what it is. Hip-hop is evolving. If you don’t like it, don’t listen to it, you know what I’m saying? I’m keepin’ it all the way 100 with you. Some of this shit, most of this shit, I don’t like. I don’t listen to a lot of that shit. But I’m not hatin’ on it. I’m never gonna hate on it.”

Sara%20Kays%20-%20Show%20Me%20Off%20Art.jpg

Attachments

• PR - SARA KAYS SHOW ME OFF - 7.21.pdf
    517.6 KB · Views: 2
Back