Music News / Reviews

Thanks, I hate it

I would have sworn that the Flaming Lips were gonna achieve this glorious milestone first.

But when are Metallica releasing the blood and semen-filled reissues of Load and Reload?

Listening to Warren Zevon's debut because it was Pitchfork's Sunday review. Paging @Yer Ol' Uncle D and any others, is there a good tribute album? I know I don't usually harp too much on voices, but I think part of the reason I've never dove deeper is his voice. I'm thinking a good tribute album might get me to dive deeper.

I found this:

But the 1-2 punch of Don Henley and Adam Sandler as the first two makes me think this is not what I'm looking for.

I found this:

But the 1-2 punch of Don Henley and Adam Sandler as the first two makes me think this is not what I'm looking for.

That's the most high profile one out there. Some of those interpretations are great but it's a hit and miss record. Part of it plays as legit tribute, part how weird can we make this.

This is volume 2. Mostly lesser-known artists and mostly acoustic but on a whole more worthy than the one with the stars...

There's a string quartet tribute CD out there that I've never heard. I have a feeling it's instrumental and I in turn have the feeling 'Why?' as Warren's power is just as much in his words as his music.

Hoping you can come to terms with his voice and enjoy the real deal.

This one is a lotta fun...

Any time Warren is mentioned, I have to post these links.

Sorry for the repetition. Thanks for mentioning him.

Warren's last Letterman appearance. He hides it well, but Warren was very sick. He and Dave knew it was likely the last time they'd get together. It was. Yet there's still humor.

After the show...

When the taping ended, Letterman and Zevon met in the musician’s dressing room. The host didn’t typically socialize with his guests after a show, but on this night he made an exception. “While we’re talking he just perfunctorily is taking his guitar, taking the strap off, doing whatever you do to a guitar,” Letterman remembers. “He gets out the case, and we’re continuing to talk and who knows what we’re saying. It was small talk. Just fill the air with something while he’s going through the business of putting the guitar in the thing. He puts it in, closes the lid, snaps it closed, hands it to me, and he says, ‘Take good care of this for me.’ And I burst into tears. Uncontrollable. I had no idea that I would be bursting into tears, but I did. And I hugged him and I said, ‘I just love your music.’ And that was it.”

The eternal power of music...

That's the most high profile one out there. Some of those interpretations are great but it's a hit and miss record. Part of it plays as legit tribute, part how weird can we make this.

This is volume 2. Mostly lesser-known artists and mostly acoustic but on a whole more worthy than the one with the stars...

There's a string quartet tribute CD out there that I've never heard. I have a feeling it's instrumental and I in turn have the feeling 'Why?' as Warren's power is just as much in his words as his music.

Warren's last Letterman appearance. He hides it well, but Warren was very sick. He and Dave knew it was likely the last time they'd get together. It was. Yet there's still humor.

After the show...

When the taping ended, Letterman and Zevon met in the musician’s dressing room. The host didn’t typically socialize with his guests after a show, but on this night he made an exception. “While we’re talking he just perfunctorily is taking his guitar, taking the strap off, doing whatever you do to a guitar,” Letterman remembers. “He gets out the case, and we’re continuing to talk and who knows what we’re saying. It was small talk. Just fill the air with something while he’s going through the business of putting the guitar in the thing. He puts it in, closes the lid, snaps it closed, hands it to me, and he says, ‘Take good care of this for me.’ And I burst into tears. Uncontrollable. I had no idea that I would be bursting into tears, but I did. And I hugged him and I said, ‘I just love your music.’ And that was it.”

I'm sure I will, Dylan and Young took me a bit of time as well and eventually won me over. I think most of you know I'm willing to put in the work to figure out if I like something.

I'm sure I will, Dylan and Young took me a bit of time as well and eventually won me over. I think most of you know I'm willing to put in the work to figure out if I like something.

I have total faith you'll get there.

Warren was a spectacular songwriter, able to take the complex and crushing and boil it down into a raw, often funny, relation...

And you know I adore covers and tribute records. Many times, a fresh interpretation brings you full circle back to the original with a new appreciation and understanding.

Not that you need to rethink Zeppelin, The Song Retains The Name is a blast.

This cover of 'Four Sticks' is brilliant...

Tribute albums have been helpful over the years. Deadicated made me rethink the Dead as did If I Were a Carpenter did the Carpenters.

Someday this Warren Zevon project might end up on one of your fave artists' tribute records...

Since everyone else in the vid is incognito, the Hindu Love Gods record is Warren, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Bill Berry.

Jesus wept

nrvbuj7w7nra1.jpg

After the show...

I will say, being able to crank it just a little more tonight made it better. I should revisit this when i get the new amp and can stream it over the hifi.

the first take of Backs Turned Looking Down the Path reminds me of Tom Petty which is never a bad thing!

Back