Music News / Reviews

You know, I’ve talked a lot of shit about Mandolin Orange changing their name. I couldn’t quite understand why Kym Register would give up the band name she had had for ten years and then I read this:

Yeah, I’d say that’s a good reason to change the name of your band. Also, Holy Fuck.

Last edited:
You know, I’ve talked a lot of shit about Mandolin Orange changing their name. I couldn’t quite understand why Kym Register would give up the band name she had had for ten years and then I read this:

Yeah, I’d say that’s a good reason to change the name of your band. Also, Holy Fuck.

Faaack. Wow.

Last edited:

Wait? He got one cut from the CD privately? Like he had a bootleg made. First of all, wow, he really loves that shit. Secondly, is that even legal? Also, if this is something you can just do if you have the money, no wonder presses are backed up.

Wait? He got one cut from the CD privately? Like he had a bootleg made. First of all, wow, he really loves that shit. Secondly, is that even legal? Also, if this is something you can just do if you have the money, no wonder presses are backed up.

Lathe cuts are not the same as vinyl pressed at a plant. They very much tend to be noisy. A lathe cut wouldn't impact pressing plant production (my understanding is he says he had a lathe cut made and it sounded shit, so then he had another lathe cut at 45RPM and it was still shitty)

Last edited:
The Staves are a duo now and staying in the Haim indie rock/pop lane. Mixed feelings all in all, but I’m sure I will enjoy whatever they put out.

While I can't deny the petty glee I've been feeling as Waters becomes a bigger and badder trainwreck with each passing week, I can't help but hold a modicum of concern that he's experiencing some form of mental decline...

While I can't deny the petty glee I've been feeling as Waters becomes a bigger and badder trainwreck with each passing week, I can't help but hold a modicum of concern that he's experiencing some form of mental decline...

This just sounds like Waters being Waters. The Wall is about this very thing - that he doesn’t feel the audience truly appreciates his genius and he does not want to have to deal with them. The very genesis of that project was from him spitting at an audience member. All of his music is about madness, one might draw the conclusion that he is talking about Barrett but it should be obvious at this point that he was dealing with his own demons and Barrett was simply a way to make it an allegory. I actually think his new version of Dark Side brings that to a greater light. If you haven’t, it’s worth a listen as it changes the timbre of the piece (and is almost a poetry reading of the material).

Back