Music News / Reviews

Lost in the supermarket looking for Hitsville UK?!

Loads of counterfeit’s at record shows in the U.K. - shame for honest dealers when less knowledgeable fans buy colour vinyl copies rather than official pressings - I watched one dealer trying to explain why to a young lady that his black vinyl smiths original albums were higher priced than the coloured counterfeits that she had seen on another stall - I tried to chip in and back him up that he wasn’t ripping her off but she still opted to buy the fakes

Third listen of this Warren Zevon debut tonight and its finally hitting me. Always give things three listens kiddies (actually don't there are times you know)

Also, I look forward to exploring his discography. I've got Excitable Boy, any recommendations on where to go next?

I first heard him through the movie Beetlejuice, as I suppose a lot of then-kids of my generation did, but after that I heard "Man Smart Woman Smarter" when we had a local musician at my grade school, who apparently was a bit of a Deadhead and he played a version of this based on the Dead's cover.

Last edited:

Can we expect a new Dead Can Dance album or tour?

Definitely not. I think Dead Can Dance is over now. It’s really finished now. I think this is it. We’ve done our season. And, you know, the last concerts, we were repeating the same pieces over and over again. And it’s like, unless we’re going to do something new, and it’s become incredibly difficult for Brendan.

Last edited:
The Pitchfork Sunday Review was Sheryl Crow's eponymous album. I like Tuesday Night well enough, this is hard to sit through... it feels like it is about three hours long.

Finishing up my first ever listen to Coil’s Horse Rotorvator because if this review:

And holy smokes. What a powerful, progressive work of art about the inevitability of death and the self loathing of your own “transgressions” as it were because it’s really a meditation in being gay in the height of the worst of the AIDS “scare.” It’s something else. Cinematic, symphonic, industrial, jazzy. Just floored.

Finishing up my first ever listen to Coil’s Horse Rotorvator because if this review:

And holy smokes. What a powerful, progressive work of art about the inevitability of death and the self loathing of your own “transgressions” as it were because it’s really a meditation in being gay in the height of the worst of the AIDS “scare.” It’s something else. Cinematic, symphonic, industrial, jazzy. Just floored.

I really, really love Coil's music. I was on their mailing list back in the 90s, sleazy would occasionally post corrections; balance would sometimes post lyrics from sleazy's email. When jhon died everyone sent in something -- a remembrance, a note, an anecdote, something -- and it was all printed up and buried with him. Something someone said that stuck with me was "it feels like every lyric john wrote was about his death and getting ready for this moment".

All of Coil's really great middle period albums have this kind of effect. Scatology/Horse Rotorvator are sort of a pair, with "Gold Is The Metal With The Broadest Shoulders" as a kind of b-sides/leftovers album. Love's Secret Domain/Stolen & Contaminated Songs is like a deep house version of this meditation on death/AIDS/dance culture ("Titan Arch" with Marc Almond or "The Snow"). It never got officially released but it's an LSD out-take, there's a sort of bridge between the AIDS terror of Horse Rotorvator and the jazzy cabaret pastiche of Love's Secret Domain in one of the other songs they did with Marc Almond, "The Dark Age of Love".

The early stuff was funded by Sleazy's art work with Hipgnosis (famously he did a bunch of the Pink Floyd stuff. I think the beds on the beach was his, I think he was involved with Animals as well; a lot of the 90s stuff was funded from like, Van Halen videos and stuff).

The latter days stuff (Musick To Play In The Dark v1/2) is also vital but in a sort of ... healed, wiser, less panicked way? Like you can feel that exhaustive terror in Scatology and Horse Rotorvator but by like the LSD era there's still that sense but it's more detached, accepted. and by the Musick to Play in the Dark they're more past the panic and into just living life and being and learning. It's still moving and terrifying, of course, but that sense of mourning is replaced with a calm.

I really, really love Coil's music. I was on their mailing list back in the 90s, sleazy would occasionally post corrections; balance would sometimes post lyrics from sleazy's email. When jhon died everyone sent in something -- a remembrance, a note, an anecdote, something -- and it was all printed up and buried with him. Something someone said that stuck with me was "it feels like every lyric john wrote was about his death and getting ready for this moment".

All of Coil's really great middle period albums have this kind of effect. Scatology/Horse Rotorvator are sort of a pair, with "Gold Is The Metal With The Broadest Shoulders" as a kind of b-sides/leftovers album. Love's Secret Domain/Stolen & Contaminated Songs is like a deep house version of this meditation on death/AIDS/dance culture ("Titan Arch" with Marc Almond or "The Snow"). It never got officially released but it's an LSD out-take, there's a sort of bridge between the AIDS terror of Horse Rotorvator and the jazzy cabaret pastiche of Love's Secret Domain in one of the other songs they did with Marc Almond, "The Dark Age of Love".

The early stuff was funded by Sleazy's art work with Hipgnosis (famously he did a bunch of the Pink Floyd stuff. I think the beds on the beach was his, I think he was involved with Animals as well; a lot of the 90s stuff was funded from like, Van Halen videos and stuff).

The latter days stuff (Musick To Play In The Dark v1/2) is also vital but in a sort of ... healed, wiser, less panicked way? Like you can feel that exhaustive terror in Scatology and Horse Rotorvator but by like the LSD era there's still that sense but it's more detached, accepted. and by the Musick to Play in the Dark they're more past the panic and into just living life and being and learning. It's still moving and terrifying, of course, but that sense of mourning is replaced with a calm.
Pitchfork said Sleazy did the cover to Wish You Were Here!

Last edited:
Pitchfork said Sleazy did the cover to Widh You Were Here!
Yeah, he did a lot (a lot) of "classic rock" covers. That UFO album with the couple making out on it? that's his, and the couple is Genesis P-Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti from Throbbing Gristle. He did the first three Peter Gabriel Self Titled (car/scratch/melt), animals, WYWH, photos on the original "nice pair", a bunch of others.

Back