Music News / Reviews

New Hot Chip Vid too.

As usual, dope af.

God I love Hot Chip. I always think, ok, if we took a poll and humans were told that the guys in the picture below were in a band, and then you play some different songs from various genres of music, including one of their songs, approximately 0% of them would connect them to the correct song.

EDIT: well, maybe 3%, bc the lead singer's jacket in the pic.

Alright I'm back! Here are some of my thoughts on new music.

Denzel Curry - ZUU
Highlights: RICKY, WISH, BIRDZ, P.A.T.
7/10

This album started off really strong for me with the first 4 or so tracks being great. Then, it starts to go downhill a bit, especially after the 2 interludes in a row. Luckily, it ends off on a high note with the Ronny J produced "P.A.T." This song brings back a bit of the old Denzel with his yelled vocals and the over-the-top, distorted production.

Slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain
Highlights: Crack, Inglorious, Toaster
6/10

I can't seem to get into this guy as much as a lot of other people have. I'm going to be honest and admit part of it is his voice, which I'm not a big fan of. A lot of the production in this album is amazing, however, but there are just not enough highlights to keep me coming back. I also feel like the album lasts a little too long with 17 tracks.

Meghan Thee Stallion - Fever
Highlights: Realer, Cash Sh*t, Best You Ever Had, Sex Talk
6-7/10

Just like Denzel's album, this starts off very strong, but it is definitely front-loaded. Meghan is very good at creating catchy hooks, but some of them are a little too repetitive, like on "Ratchet." I definitely see potential in her, and I am looking forward to whatever she decides to do in the future. Also, "Best You Ever Had" is the song of the summer.

Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
Highlights: U.F.O.F., Cattails, From, Strange
6/10

Another album I can't seem to get into as much as a lot of other people. I don't have much to say. It just gets very boring at least for me, but I can see its appeal. It gives off a relaxing vibe, perfect for a quiet morning.

I wonder if this means Walker is now signed with Thrill Jockey as a solo artist, too? Or does his solo work stay with Dead Oceans? If he has left Dead Oceans, it's pretty bold to convince them to release your record of jazzy track-by-track covers of an unreleased DMB album and then jump ship.

I wonder if this means Walker is now signed with Thrill Jockey as a solo artist, too? Or does his solo work stay with Dead Oceans? If he has left Dead Oceans, it's pretty bold to convince them to release your record of jazzy track-by-track covers of an unreleased DMB album and then jump ship.

Maybe not. His collab with Bill MacKay in 2017 was released by Drag City but he still continued with Dead Oceans after. I like his music but honestly, the main reason I care about him now is that he's one of the funniest people I follow on Twitter.

Maybe not. His collab with Bill MacKay in 2017 was released by Drag City but he still continued with Dead Oceans after. I like his music but honestly, the main reason I care about him now is that he's one of the funniest people I follow on Twitter.

Same. He's really dialed into an honestly very well-observed critique of people.

Same. He's really dialed into an honestly very well-observed critique of people.

Plus, when I asked him on his live Insta video whether a hot dog is a sandwich, he gave the correct answer: “a hot dog is a hot dog, man.”

🌭

Both Bill Callahan's and Calexico/Iron & Wine's new records on NPR First Listen:

Back