Music News / Reviews

Inspired by @tonythegamer, I'm going to drop some little reviews of new albums I've heard recently

Tyler, The Creator
IGOR - 5/10
Highlights: EARFQUAKE, I THINK, A BOY IS A GUN, WHAT'S GOOD

I'm honestly very disappointed with this album after listening to Tyler's entire discography. I like that he's trying something new, and for that, I respect him. However, in my opinion the vocals are awful for the majority of the album. The production is not very good either with a lot of the sounds mashing together, sounding like a muddy mess. After my first listen, I thought this was Tyler's worst album by far. I listened to it again and it grew on me. I don't respect to be coming back to this.

Injury Reserve
Self-Titled - 8/10
Highlights: Koruna & Lime, Jawbreaker, GTFU, Jailbreak the Tesla, Wax On, New Hawaii, Three Man Weave

If you haven't heard Injury Reserve, then you need to. This album is so much fun! It reminds me a lot of Jpegmafia's Veteran, but it's a little less weird. The production is consistently on point throughout the entire project, and both of the rappers deliver funny and introspective lyrics. The features are also amazing, with some of my favorite new rappers such as Rico Nasty and Jpegmafia appearing on the album. Definitely my favorite rap project released this year!

Slauson Malone
A Quiet Farewell, Twenty Sixteen to Twenty Eighteen - 7-8/10

With 20 songs spanning 30 minutes, this album is relatively brief and should always be listened to as a whole. There are no individual standout songs, because each contribute to the experience. The best way I can describe it is if Earl Sweatshirt's "Some Rap Songs" was made by the band Swans at the end of the world. This is a must-listen! Also, the first couple songs almost brought me to tears because of how beautiful they were.

The National
I Am Easy to Find - 8-9/10
Highlights: You Had Your Soul With You, Quiet Light, Oblivions, The Pull of You, Where Is Her Head, Not In Kansas, So Far So Fast, Light Years

This is my first experience with listening to an entire album from The National, and I am so glad I did. When I saw it was 16 tracks and over an hour long, I was worried it would suffer from long album syndrome. This album proved me wrong. Each song flows perfectly into one another, creating a melancholy mood that stretches the entire project. I also love the female guest singers The National brings onto many of the songs. This is currently my album of the year.

Let me know what your thoughts are of these albums. I'm planning on doing this every week with new releases.

Inspired by @tonythegamer, I'm going to drop some little reviews of new albums I've heard recently

Tyler, The Creator
IGOR - 5/10
Highlights: EARFQUAKE, I THINK, A BOY IS A GUN, WHAT'S GOOD

I'm honestly very disappointed with this album after listening to Tyler's entire discography. I like that he's trying something new, and for that, I respect him. However, in my opinion the vocals are awful for the majority of the album. The production is not very good either with a lot of the sounds mashing together, sounding like a muddy mess. After my first listen, I thought this was Tyler's worst album by far. I listened to it again and it grew on me. I don't respect to be coming back to this.

Injury Reserve
Self-Titled - 8/10
Highlights: Koruna & Lime, Jawbreaker, GTFU, Jailbreak the Tesla, Wax On, New Hawaii, Three Man Weave

If you haven't heard Injury Reserve, then you need to. This album is so much fun! It reminds me a lot of Jpegmafia's Veteran, but it's a little less weird. The production is consistently on point throughout the entire project, and both of the rappers deliver funny and introspective lyrics. The features are also amazing, with some of my favorite new rappers such as Rico Nasty and Jpegmafia appearing on the album. Definitely my favorite rap project released this year!

Slauson Malone
A Quiet Farewell, Twenty Sixteen to Twenty Eighteen - 7-8/10

With 20 songs spanning 30 minutes, this album is relatively brief and should always be listened to as a whole. There are no individual standout songs, because each contribute to the experience. The best way I can describe it is if Earl Sweatshirt's "Some Rap Songs" was made by the band Swans at the end of the world. This is a must-listen! Also, the first couple songs almost brought me to tears because of how beautiful they were.

The National
I Am Easy to Find - 8-9/10
Highlights: You Had Your Soul With You, Quiet Light, Oblivions, The Pull of You, Where Is Her Head, Not In Kansas, So Far So Fast, Light Years

This is my first experience with listening to an entire album from The National, and I am so glad I did. When I saw it was 16 tracks and over an hour long, I was worried it would suffer from long album syndrome. This album proved me wrong. Each song flows perfectly into one another, creating a melancholy mood that stretches the entire project. I also love the female guest singers The National brings onto many of the songs. This is currently my album of the year.

Let me know what your thoughts are of these albums. I'm planning on doing this every week with new releases.

In regards to Tyler, I’ve seen some very mixed opinions about his new one. I’m active over on Sputnikmusic (where I pulled a few of these reviews from) and a lot or reviews range from what I gave it, to 1/10’s. One thing I do disagree with in your review is your critique of the production. Like I said in my review, I think the whole point of the album’s sound is to be somewhat abrasive at times. It’s too over the top at times that I think it’s intentional, and either way I enjoy it.

Hello.

I think this counts as music news.

New Kishi Bashi album is up streaming at NPR first listen. The album's story is worth reading about.

Kishi Bashi is one of my favorite live performers and one of the only artists I see every time he comes to town. Even if the album isn't totally your thing, I'd still encourage you to check out the live show.

Hello.

I think this counts as music news.

New Kishi Bashi album is up streaming at NPR first listen. The album's story is worth reading about.

Kishi Bashi is one of my favorite live performers and one of the only artists I see every time he comes to town. Even if the album isn't totally your thing, I'd still encourage you to check out the live show.

But the album should be everyone’s thing! Haha! Really it’s a gorgeous album and it still stands as my favorite album this year so far after my hot take hearing it during the 24 hour streaming period from JN earlier this spring.

Sleater-Kinney is on Mom+Pop now. The bio on the website mentions the name of their new album, The Center Won’t Hold.

EDIT: lol, the page was removed (for now) so enjoy a photo of some posters whose URLs go to sleater-kinney.com

STqbUHE.png

Last edited:
I have a music news and a review for you on release Friday. I'm really trying to stay on topic here.

News: The new album from The Little Unsaid, Atomize, was released today.

Review: It is excellent; I'd even go with delicately stunning. Pastoral British Folk is maybe how I'd describe it. The subtleties of production are simply gorgeous. Standout tracks for me include "Story", "Road" and "Willow".

And bc this is a vinyl forum, very few of the lmtd vinyl remain if you dig it, so move quickly. It's unfortunately very expensive (for US-based folk like me) bc it ships from UK:

Last edited:
Back