Music News / Reviews

Hello.

I think this counts as music news.

New Kishi Bashi album is up streaming at NPR first listen. The album's story is worth reading about.

Kishi Bashi is one of my favorite live performers and one of the only artists I see every time he comes to town. Even if the album isn't totally your thing, I'd still encourage you to check out the live show.

He is amazing live.

But the album should be everyone’s thing! Haha! Really it’s a gorgeous album and it still stands as my favorite album this year so far after my hot take hearing it during the 24 hour streaming period from JN earlier this spring.
I’ve been holding off and according to informed delivery, I’ll be able to finally listen on Tuesday. I’m so hype!!!

I’ve been holding off and according to informed delivery, I’ll be able to finally listen on Tuesday. I’m so hype!!!

My record arrived yesterday. It is gorgeous. And listening to some of those songs while reflecting on the album's concept - about Japanese internment camps during WWII - makes the listening experience even more profound.

But the album should be everyone’s thing! Haha! Really it’s a gorgeous album and it still stands as my favorite album this year so far after my hot take hearing it during the 24 hour streaming period from JN earlier this spring.
He is amazing live.

Since there has been some Kishi Bashi back and forth, I'm curious: Do any of you know why Kishi Bashi albums are so consistently ignored by a number of music websites? I'm thinking of PitchFork, Stereogum, Consequence of Sound, even Metacritic. I mean, Stereogum's Album of the Week feature this week doesn't even have him listed below, so they don't even acknowledge that his album is being released this week. Metacritic doesn't have his album listed as a New Release for this Friday. Pitchfork has never reviewed any of his albums, as far as I know. It's just plain weird to me given the number of listens some of his top songs have garnered. @Lee Newman @mitchwagz @Heath @Dark Star Boogie, any clue? (I'm tagging you all bc you've responded, or liked, recent Kishi posts)

Since there has been some Kishi Bashi back and forth, I'm curious: Do any of you know why Kishi Bashi albums are so consistently ignored by a number of music websites? I'm thinking of PitchFork, Stereogum, Consequence of Sound, even Metacritic. I mean, Stereogum's Album of the Week feature this week doesn't even have him listed below, so they don't even acknowledge that his album is being released this week. Metacritic doesn't have his album listed as a New Release for this Friday. Pitchfork has never reviewed any of his albums, as far as I know. It's just plain weird to me given the number of listens some of his top songs have garnered. @Lee Newman @mitchwagz @Heath @Dark Star Boogie, any clue? (I'm tagging you all bc you've responded, or liked, recent Kishi posts)
The other guys can probably produce a better answer but I just think he’s really been flying under the radar and isn’t getting picked up in those publications. He has a very strong but somewhat small following and produces very good but not necessarily game-changing indie pop. I’m kind of surprised that he isn’t getting more press for this release though. It’s an amazing concept and very relevant politically to these times now. It’s his best record thus far too imo. Maybe later this week it will get good press by Pitchfork but yeah surprised ‘gum didn’t even mention him in albums out this week. A few people in the comments mentioned it was their most anticipated album of the week.

Did I read he was going to be on All Things Considered too? A quick interview segment would be awesome exposure in addition to the already streaming first listen.
That is specifically what I was referring to. He also had a tiny desk a while back. I think you’re right that the story of this album will pull more people in.

Back