Music News / Reviews

New Destroyer album in January.

Every Destroyer album is an event for me. I remember Sky's Grey soundtracking my entire summer/early fall in '17. Even though I'm entirely in the pocket for every release, they all grow on me so deeply over time. Very excited to see what my relationship to this album will be like.

Also he's opening his tour in Portlandtown, with the one and only Eleanor Friedberger. As if he wasn't a must-see already. My winter just got so so sweet.

Every Destroyer album is an event for me. I remember Sky's Grey soundtracking my entire summer/early fall in '17. Even though I'm entirely in the pocket for every release, they all grow on me so deeply over time. Very excited to see what my relationship to this album will be like.

Also he's opening his tour in Portlandtown, with the one and only Eleanor Friedberger. As if he wasn't a must-see already. My winter just got so so sweet.
I'm fairly new to Destroyer--heard Kaputt for the first time this winter and been obsessed since--but I'm really looking forward to this, too. Up here he's touring with Nap Eyes, another of my favourite bands.

This just popped-up on discogs

lol and you can give VNYL 5k for all 200 albums at once ($25 per)
I guess someone will want that

This just popped-up on discogs

lol and you can give VNYL 5k for all 200 albums at once ($25 per)
I guess someone will want that
Isn't Songs of Innocence by U2 the album that they just put on everyone's computer one day? Yeah, so any list that includes that album as a "best" is a nonsense list.

Record label claims Amazon is selling counterfeit vinyl
By What Hi-Fi? 2 days ago News
With vinyl's resurgence, counterfeiting is an issue...

1572614014014.png

A cautionary tale when scouring the internet for Black Friday vinyl deals or seeking out the perfect Christmas gift online, perhaps: Tommy Boy Records has claimed that Amazon is selling counterfeit vinyl – titles that the record label has never even had pressed to vinyl.
Tommy Boy Records is best known for launching the careers of De La Soul, Queen Latifah, Afrika Bambaataa and more. As reported by DJ Mag, the company president, Rosie Lopez, made the claim at last week's Making Vinyl Conference in Los Angeles: "Counterfeit is another issue altogether. Somehow records that Tommy Boy hasn’t pressed in – ever – are on sale on Amazon, that’s a little concerning."
Issues regarding Amazon and counterfeit music formats were raised last August when, according to details shared by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), roughly 25 per cent of all CDs ‘Fulfilled by Amazon’ were fake - an issue we first covered back in 2016.
"Items 'Fulfilled by Amazon' are sold by a third-party seller, but dispatched to you from an Amazon Fulfilment Centre" Amazon explains on its site. Basically, Amazon's Fulfilled program lets third-party sellers list their products on Amazon's site, with Amazon simply taking a fee and handling shipping.

These reports suggest that counterfeiters have spotted an easy way to list their goods on a massive platform, leaving retailers like Tommy Boy Records unlikely to catch fakes quickly enough.
Amazon has released a statement saying, in a lot of words, that it does its level best to counter any and all attempts to sell counterfeit goods on its site. "Amazon strictly prohibits the sale of counterfeit products and we invest heavily in both funds and company energy to ensure our policy is followed," says an Amazon statement.
But with vinyl on target to outsell CDs for the first time since 1986 and a guaranteed spike in demand for records over Christmas, it seems likely that fakes will continue to show up in online shopping carts. Before you buy vinyl anywhere, we'd certainly check the record was at some point pressed by the label in question...

Record label claims Amazon is selling counterfeit vinyl
By What Hi-Fi? 2 days ago News
With vinyl's resurgence, counterfeiting is an issue...

View attachment 21288

A cautionary tale when scouring the internet for Black Friday vinyl deals or seeking out the perfect Christmas gift online, perhaps: Tommy Boy Records has claimed that Amazon is selling counterfeit vinyl – titles that the record label has never even had pressed to vinyl.
Tommy Boy Records is best known for launching the careers of De La Soul, Queen Latifah, Afrika Bambaataa and more. As reported by DJ Mag, the company president, Rosie Lopez, made the claim at last week's Making Vinyl Conference in Los Angeles: "Counterfeit is another issue altogether. Somehow records that Tommy Boy hasn’t pressed in – ever – are on sale on Amazon, that’s a little concerning."
Issues regarding Amazon and counterfeit music formats were raised last August when, according to details shared by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), roughly 25 per cent of all CDs ‘Fulfilled by Amazon’ were fake - an issue we first covered back in 2016.
"Items 'Fulfilled by Amazon' are sold by a third-party seller, but dispatched to you from an Amazon Fulfilment Centre" Amazon explains on its site. Basically, Amazon's Fulfilled program lets third-party sellers list their products on Amazon's site, with Amazon simply taking a fee and handling shipping.

These reports suggest that counterfeiters have spotted an easy way to list their goods on a massive platform, leaving retailers like Tommy Boy Records unlikely to catch fakes quickly enough.
Amazon has released a statement saying, in a lot of words, that it does its level best to counter any and all attempts to sell counterfeit goods on its site. "Amazon strictly prohibits the sale of counterfeit products and we invest heavily in both funds and company energy to ensure our policy is followed," says an Amazon statement.
But with vinyl on target to outsell CDs for the first time since 1986 and a guaranteed spike in demand for records over Christmas, it seems likely that fakes will continue to show up in online shopping carts. Before you buy vinyl anywhere, we'd certainly check the record was at some point pressed by the label in question...
Tommy Boy is bitching about bootlegs, the irony is thick here.

Deezer Releases AI Tool That Quickly Isolates Vocal Tracks
The open-source Spleeter software can split a track into four stems 100x faster than real time
Photo by wundervisuals

French streaming platform Deezer has released an AI tool called Spleeter that can quickly isolate vocal and instrumental tracks and separate a song into two, four, or five separate audio tracks. The software was originally developed for research purposes, but was released on Monday, November 4, as an open-source package on GitHub.
While many techniques exist to isolate vocal tracks (also known as “stems”) from a mixed-down audio file, most are difficult, time-consuming, of low-quality, or some combination of the three. Spleeter is an audio separation library built on Python and the machine learning platform TensorFlow that can do it at many times the speed of the original audio. The blogger Andy Baio sampled the software with a selection of songs, comparing them to stems from the studio as well as other audio-splitting tools like PhonicMind and Open-Unmix.
As released, the software lacks a graphical user interface, so users need to be comfortable with command line prompts. But as the software is open source, nothing is preventing an intrepid programmer from developing a streamlined user interface, which democratizes the technology for aspiring remixers, samplers, and karaoke aficionados. Seasoned producers are already citing the software’s potential.

Back