Music News / Reviews

With Sound & Fury, make sure you give the anime a watch as well. It definitely adds the the overall experience of the album.
Strong disagree. I thought the anime was nonsense, and I'm a pretty established weeb. The random dance number, the different unrelated stories, it was a mess. The action bits were cool, though.

I love the album, though I do wonder how much he was listening to this song while recording it...

Strong disagree. I thought the anime was nonsense, and I'm a pretty established weeb. The random dance number, the different unrelated stories, it was a mess. The action bits were cool, though.

I love the album, though I do wonder how much he was listening to this song while recording it...

I’m not a weeb, I wonder how much that affects what we got out of it.

The dance number isn’t as random as it may appear. It’s a nod to some classic Japanese cinema.

The dance number isn’t as random as it may appear. It’s a nod to some classic Japanese cinema.
I don’t even know what a weeb is.

Given that he remixed it three times, I wonder how much the sound shifted in response to the film being made. Now I want to hear demos/prefinished tracks.

Edit... cause underneath all the synths and Beats is the heaviness they have been bringing to shows since they finished the album.

I do remember a similarly weird and out of place scene in Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman...

I don’t even know what a weeb is.
This is the full definition "A weeb is a derisive term for a non-Japanese person who is so obsessed with Japanese culture that they wish they were actually Japanese." But it's normally just used to describe someone who's into Japanese stuff. Most of what I watch is Anime, as it's generally the right amount of humour and escapism for me. I eat a lot of Japanese food... because it's good. My desk at work is literally covered with anime characters. My name on this forum is taken from Robotech. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I'm fairly weeby.

I do remember a similarly weird and out of place scene in Zatoichi the Blind Swordsman...

This is the full definition "A weeb is a derisive term for a non-Japanese person who is so obsessed with Japanese culture that they wish they were actually Japanese." But it's normally just used to describe someone who's into Japanese stuff. Most of what I watch is Anime, as it's generally the right amount of humour and escapism for me. I eat a lot of Japanese food... because it's good. My desk at work is literally covered with anime characters. My name on this forum is taken from Robotech. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, but I'm fairly weeby.
Now I need to know what you think of Samurai Gourmet (makes mental note to finish watching it)

New Angel Olsen is a huge change of pace and really unique. Synth meets classical almost. Fairly goth. Kinda reminds me of Dead Can Dance upon first listen.
Well I just got hella excited (but Bombadil is still hitting the platter first)

Well I just got hella excited (but Bombadil is still hitting the platter first)

Upon second listen, it's only a song or two that bring to mind the DCD reference. But I think this is definitely gonna land somewhere in the top 5 and fight for album of the year. As somebody who first got into her back in 2014 when she had that lo-fi indie, Cat Power sound--- she has come a really long way as far as it pertains to production value. Indie rock + synth + classical + singer songwriter = yummy.

Edit: There is also a bit of a St. Vincent thing going on here.

I'm only one listen in, but I think My Woman is much better than All Mirrors and that's not to say that All Mirrors is bad. Who knows maybe it's a grower? It's a good album for sure, it just doesn't grab me the way My Woman did.

Upon second listen, it's only a song or two that bring to mind the DCD reference. But I think this is definitely gonna land somewhere in the top 5 and fight for album of the year. As somebody who first got into her back in 2014 when she had that lo-fi indie, Cat Power sound--- she has come a really long way as far as it pertains to production value. Indie rock + synth + classical + singer songwriter = yummy.

Edit: There is also a bit of a St. Vincent thing going on here.
I get Dead Can Dance in a couple of songs. It has a whole Ingenue vibe.

I'm only one listen in, but I think My Woman is much better than All Mirrors and that's not to say that All Mirrors is bad. Who knows maybe it's a grower? It's a good album for sure, it just doesn't
All Mirrors is breathtaking and grabs me in a way that none of her previous work did. A few listens in now, and it's an absolutely stunning orchestral-leaning pop album from start to finish. Exquisite cinematic sounds of grandeur, lush string arrangements and heart-wrenching lyrics, this is the making of a certified masterpiece and a serious contender for AOTY.

All Mirrors is breathtaking and grabs me in a way that none of her previous work did. A few listens in now, and it's an absolutely stunning orchestral-leaning pop album from start to finish. Exquisite cinematic sounds of grandeur, lush string arrangements and heart-wrenching lyrics, this is the making of a certified masterpiece and a serious contender for AOTY.

Both Woman and Mirrors are in my top 100 for the decade (Burn Your Fire probably would be too if I had ever bought it on wax, and thus, kept it in the rotation. Instead, it's in the top 150). But Mirrors is the one that cements her in my eyes as one of the most important artists of the decade instead of just a really good one. It's her Elephant basically. (With Burn being De Stijl and Women being White Blood Cells in this analogy).

Last edited:
I'm only one listen in, but I think My Woman is much better than All Mirrors and that's not to say that All Mirrors is bad. Who knows maybe it's a grower? It's a good album for sure, it just doesn't grab me the way My Woman did.
I find All Mirrors to be a pretty big grower. But I do still agree that My Woman is better. There’s just something about it that pulls me in much greater than AM. However, I love love love the new record. MW is something I feel I can listen to any time, any mood. AM still as of this moment seems like one I have to be more in the mood for.

I find All Mirrors to be a pretty big grower. But I do still agree that My Woman is better. There’s just something about it that pulls me in much greater than AM. However, I love love love the new record. MW is something I feel I can listen to any time, any mood. AM still as of this moment seems like one I have to be more in the mood for.
This is a lot of where i’m At with it. All Mirrors is not something I’m just throwing on. It’s good, for sure.

Anyone have thoughts on the P4K top 200 albums and songs of the 2010’s?

The rankings seem really random outside of the top 20 or so. Plus, how in the world is Skeleton Tree, Benji, My Woman and All Mirrors missing from the top 200 albums? The 2019 list might have some weird rankings from the ol fork.

I'm just gonna throw some scores for a lot of albums I've listened to cause I want to

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors - 7/10
Danny Brown - uknowwhatimsayin - 8/10
Bayside - Interrobang - 9/10
Melanie Martinez - K-12 - 3/10
Squid - town centre - 8/10
Insomnium - Heart Like A Grave - 6/10
Cult Of Luna - A Dawn To Fear - 9/10
DIIV - Deceiver - 5/10
The Lumineers - III - 4/10
Wilco - Ode To Joy - 8/10

Gonna listen to Opeth, Nick Cave, Chromatics, and Billy Wood a bit more before scoring

Last edited:
Back