Music News / Reviews

Anyone have thoughts on the P4K top 200 albums and songs of the 2010’s?

The rankings seem really random outside of the top 20 or so. Plus, how in the world is Skeleton Tree, Benji, My Woman and All Mirrors missing from the top 200 albums? The 2019 list might have some weird rankings from the ol fork.
@Jonathan Y and I had lots of thoughts while playing some of these tunes in the JQBX room. They chose the right artists and albums. But it seems like they chose the tracks they thought would be "cooler" to choose.

Like, Adorn is not Miguel's best song from the decade. At all. Nor is Alright the SONG OF THE DECADE!!! Kendrick definitely deserves the top spot but not with Alright. And the Beyonce songs they chose were far from her strongest on the albums from the decade.

It's an odd list. PF is showing their hipster doofus colors big time.

On the first half of today's road trip:

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors (second listen) 9/10

Billy Woods - Hiding Places 4/10

Black Marble - Bigger Than Life 3/10 could not finish

DIIV - Deceiver 4/10 would not finish so much same same same

Jetty Bones - S/T 3/10 could not finish too much pop and her voice began to grate

Laura Misch - Playground 7/10 not 2019 also not as compelling as Tom's latest but still strong.

Maria Taylor - In The Next Life 8/10

Sarah Jaffe - Suburban Nature maybe not 2109 but still 9/10

I'm just gonna throw some scores for a lot of albums I've listened to cause I want to

Angel Olsen - All Mirrors - 7/10
Danny Brown - uknowwhatimsayin - 8/10
Bayside - Interrobang - 9/10
Melanie Martinez - K-12 - 3/10
Squid - town centre - 8/10
Insomnium - Heart Like A Grave - 6/10
Cult Of Luna - A Dawn To Fear - 9/10
DIIV - Deceiver - 5/10
The Lumineers - III - 4/10
Wilco - Ode To Joy - 8/10

Gonna listen to Opeth, Nick Cave, Chromatics, and Billy Wood a bit more before scoring
So, what I hear you saying is you really liked that Melanie Martinez? Lol

What was wrong with it?

Jetty Bones - S/T 3/10 could not finish too much pop and her voice began to grate

Laura Misch - Playground 7/10 not 2019 also not as compelling as Tom's latest but still strong.

Looks like I need to check out Jetty Bones. Lol.

So, what I hear you saying is you really liked that Melanie Martinez? Lol

What was wrong with it?
Musically uninteresting.

The lyrics I also feel follow a kind of "formula" which is: Melanie sings about something that sucks that is school related which then turns into something about our society that is even worse.

The problem is she does nothing with the issues she brings up, she just kind of acknowledges them. Also yeah, I know about the film, and while the film has creative imagery and imaginative ideas in it, it's still not enough to make me enjoy the music backing it.

As I suspected, I enjoyed this quite a bit more than you did. I definitely can see why this is not something you would enjoy. I kept hearing a lot of early Tegan and Sara influences. As well as Avril.

I'm also giggling that you couldn't finish an EP.

Anyone have thoughts on the P4K top 200 albums and songs of the 2010’s?

The rankings seem really random outside of the top 20 or so. Plus, how in the world is Skeleton Tree, Benji, My Woman and All Mirrors missing from the top 200 albums? The 2019 list might have some weird rankings from the ol fork.
Surprised but not at all upset to see Frank Ocean’s Blonde at number 1 for albums. I also love that Fiona Apple is near the top. Joanna Newsom should be higher. Lots of good stuff though.

Last edited:
Powerful poetry from Tenesha The Wordsmith who I first heard on last year’s Khalab album. Comes with a jazzy, electronic score. Good stuff.

Back