Music Festivals

Its the 'Music, Bourbon, Equine' at the bottom of the show poster for me :ROFLMAO:

the music & bourbon is obvious, but as far as the "equine" part- Railbird takes place at a historic track and thoroughbred auction company. the festival also incorporates live betting on races during the day.

a "railbird" is a nickname for obsessive people always at the horse track, and has double the meaning for this event since we say that folks that stay up front during a festival are "riding the rail."

the music & bourbon is obvious, but as far as the "equine" part- Railbird takes place at a historic track and thoroughbred auction company. the festival also incorporates live betting on races during the day.

a "railbird" is a nickname for obsessive people always at the horse track, and has double the meaning for this event since we say that folks that stay up front during a festival are "riding the rail."
Oh that's cool as hell. Music and live race betting. Interesting concept.

Also, can always count on you for history, etymology, and date facts.

Don't love the venue this is held at, but its $100 for a season pass or $10/20 per show....so I can't complain too much. We've been going to these since we moved here, and they have all had great line ups

1619798786789.png

eh, FatT's profile is a fair amount bigger than Kishi Bashi. Maybe not in the music nerd community but radio singles, album sales are higher, etc.

Fitz's live show is pretty dang good too, very high energy and fun.

eh, FatT's profile is a fair amount bigger than Kishi Bashi. Maybe not in the music nerd community but radio singles, album sales are higher, etc.

Fitz's live show is pretty dang good too, very high energy and fun.
I agree profile-wise. I was talking more the musical combination of the two.

I don't think GovBall is that bad, but wokeupnew highlighted my issue. Pop and Hip Hop choices on point but the severe lack of Indie bands is a big ole hole. There's some of course but not enough. The varying depth on each day is a bit odd too. Friday is super deep but the weekends get real niche real fast.

Stylistically, ASAP headlining over MtS is interesting from a non hip hop head perspective. I thought her profile was bigger.

With that said, that old GovBall lineup makes me pine for Northeastern two-stage fests like the older Boston Callings. Felt like the sweet spot.

I don't think GovBall is that bad, but wokeupnew highlighted my issue. Pop and Hip Hop choices on point but the severe lack of Indie bands is a big ole hole. There's some of course but not enough. The varying depth on each day is a bit odd too. Friday is super deep but the weekends get real niche real fast.

Stylistically, ASAP headlining over MtS is interesting from a non hip hop head perspective. I thought her profile was bigger.

With that said, that old GovBall lineup makes me pine for Northeastern two-stage fests like the older Boston Callings. Felt like the sweet spot.
I’ve been to Boston Calling in 2013 and 2014 both times at the City Hall Plaza. amazing festival. No overlapping sets. Hard ground so your shoes don’t get muddy. Good food, short lines to get beer and you can still watch bands while waiting in line since everything was so close. Easy to park nearby and no lines to leave. It really was the sweet spot between small and large music fests.

For sure, the seasonal shows were truly top flight options. Great lineups with plenty of facilities. One thing that stood out is that you could, if you needed to, plant in a spot for an extended period and see/hear everything on both stages, the scheduling usually surrounded holidays to make it more viable with good weather. In retrospect the 2017-2018 lineups did elevate with the increased size to Harvard but it lost so much of what made it appealing that I went from an every-day-goer to a no-day-goer.

I feel like there's definitely a space for a BC/Gov Ball style two-stager out there. I'd welcome it back.

That 2020 lineup that didn't happen showed a different booking strategy not to my preference, but I bet they're not getting Jack Harlow, Beabadoobee, Phoebe, or Girl in Red at the placements they had them.

One thing that stood out is that you could, if you needed to, plant in a spot for an extended period and see/hear everything on both stages, the scheduling usually surrounded holidays to make it more viable with good weather.
lol I did exactly this when I was waiting to see the Replacements in 2014. The overlap in Replacements fans and the 1975 fans who preceded them on the stage was zero. So literally everyone left that stage and I filled in to the front. Watched all of Spoon from the other stage that way before the Mats came out.

lol I did exactly this when I was waiting to see the Replacements in 2014. The overlap in Replacements fans and the 1975 fans who preceded them on the stage was zero. So literally everyone left that stage and I filled in to the front. Watched all of Spoon from the other stage that way before the Mats came out.
Hah! Funny enough, I was on the other side of it. I found my way to the front of the stage for Lake Street Dive and was crushed in by The 1975 fans waiting for MATTY (and I guess the rest). Watched TOP from there, and then snuck out when the 1975 went on only after the 5-foot-nothings behind me lost hope of actually seeing them over my giant self. But yeah, that festival was great for getting close for big acts without huge investment time and energy wise. I miss it.

Don't love the venue this is held at, but its $100 for a season pass or $10/20 per show....so I can't complain too much. We've been going to these since we moved here, and they have all had great line ups

View attachment 97535
I would crush a couple of these shows super hard

Back