Music Festivals

The only big festival I ever went to was Osheaga back in 2012. It was cool and I saw a lot of great acts, but I haven't been in a mad rush to do anything like it again. Dashing from stage to stage all day to catch 45 minute sets in the blazing heat got kind of old pretty fast. Or maybe I'm the one getting old!

real disappointed to read about the intentional destruction by fire of the bonnaroo arch. at least dismantle it and cut it up to sell and raise money for charity or something. lord knows roo-goers would have snapped up pieces of the arch just to have. just burning it to quickly get rid of it seems antithetical to the roo community ethos, but here we are.

anyway, i'll be on the farm in a few weeks regardless. excited to go phishing.

real disappointed to read about the intentional destruction by fire of the bonnaroo arch. at least dismantle it and cut it up to sell and raise money for charity or something. lord knows roo-goers would have snapped up pieces of the arch just to have. just burning it to quickly get rid of it seems antithetical to the roo community ethos, but here we are.

anyway, i'll be on the farm in a few weeks regardless. excited to go phishing.
This stings more than it should. I know that most likely my Roo days are over, but I'll miss that arch.

I'm really thinking of going to Desert Daze this fall and I noticed a festival thread hadn't been started yet.

Anyone planning any festival trips this year?
Funny you should mention that... I was planning on starting this thread once Desert Daze released more of its lineup. I'll almost for sure be going, especially with who has been announced so far.

Funny you should mention that... I was planning on starting this thread once Desert Daze released more of its lineup. I'll almost for sure be going, especially with who has been announced so far.
2 friends of mine are 100% going already and are trying to get others to join in. My wife and I have a decent amount of family and friends between San Diego and LA, so we are talking about making a week of it, so we will see. I know very few acts have been announced so far, but I really like all of the acts announced so far.

Crazy to see Purple Mountains get such high billing. You folks have Moog Fest out there, too, right?

Yeah, but it's fallen prey to the money aspect like many others. Started out in Asheville, Bob Moog's home, and was more music centric than anything else. Organizers changed and it became more about technology and business tie ins. Left Asheville and went to Durham a few years ago. Basically went from a town that was all about the Moog legend and the music to a town focused on tech and business.

Yeah, but it's fallen prey to the money aspect like many others. Started out in Asheville, Bob Moog's home, and was more music centric than anything else. Organizers changed and it became more about technology and business tie ins. Left Asheville and went to Durham a few years ago. Basically went from a town that was all about the Moog legend and the music to a town focused on tech and business.

What was that festival they had in Asheville a few years back that never happened again? I think NIN headlined it...

That's too bad

2 friends of mine are 100% going already and are trying to get others to join in. My wife and I have a decent amount of family and friends between San Diego and LA, so we are talking about making a week of it, so we will see. I know very few acts have been announced so far, but I really like all of the acts announced so far.
For sure -- the lineup last year was fantastic and this year is shaping up to be on the same level. Right up my alley. I hope they get most of the lineup released soon so I can really start working on convincing friends. Are you thinking camping or hotel?

For sure -- the lineup last year was fantastic and this year is shaping up to be on the same level. Right up my alley. I hope they get most of the lineup released soon so I can really start working on convincing friends. Are you thinking camping or hotel?
We arent really sure yet. Our group is debating camping vs hotel vs Airbnb, it mostly depends on how many of us actually go. Also I'm all for camping but my wife would rather a nicer place to rest her head, and historically she wins out on decisions like that.

Desert Daze looks great. Flaming Lips playing Soft Bulletin in full makes it interesting all by itself.

My main festival is Ohana in southern california. I hit the Bridge School benefit it's last few years, and Ohana has turned into a suitable replacement. Beautiful location right on the beach, only two stages to go between. Gotten some great acts the first few years - Eddie Vedder headlines every year and curates the lineup. He'll jump in with most of the acts as well - last year he sang There is a Light That Never Goes Out w/ Johnny Marr.

Prices went way up this year, but still going Friday / Saturday.

I think it was called Mountain Oasis but was from the Moog people.

Yes - that was promoted by AC Entertainment who also promoted Moog Fest at the time. They ran concurrently. Mountain Oasis ended up being a one-off and shortly thereafter AC Ent. gave up Moog Fest as well. Then it fell under new promotion and was relocated.

I'm really thinking of going to Desert Daze this fall and I noticed a festival thread hadn't been started yet.

Anyone planning any festival trips this year?
99.9% sure I’ll be at Desert Daze. Haven’t been to an outdoor fest since FYF 2017 and I sorta swore them off, but I’ll deal with just about anything for a Stereolab reunion.

Back