Movies

I watched The Gentlemen Sunday. Guy Ritchie's best since Snatch. Not as many laugh out loud moments as Snatch but a decent return to form. A little contrived and forced but I look forward to the sequel that was teased. Even Charlie Hunnan was ok in it!

Oh yeah I watched that movie like a year ago? I don't remember. But yes some of it is really solid, but the ending was a let down for all the interesting stuff happening before. I like the premise and how it just moves from there, but where it winds up isn't as satisfying.

Agreed. But the journey is still worth it in my opinion.

I watched The Gentlemen Sunday. Guy Ritchie's best since Snatch. Not as many laugh out loud moments as Snatch but a decent return to form. A little contrived and forced but I look forward to the sequel that was teased. Even Charlie Hunnan was ok in it!
I really enjoyed Richie’s Man From U.N.C.L.E. a great deal but yeah, that was definitely a different type of film than this or LS&TSB or Snatched. It took a while for him to recover from Madonna, many never do.

I just watched the Goldbergs episode about being excited to see Willow and then being...perplexed by it, and it brought back some feelings for me.
I was just a dumb kid when it came out but I remember likely it quite a bit. Mad Mardigan, epic journeys, “magic” dwarfs, evil witches. What’s not to love? I will say I have always been an “epic journey” movie fan. Be it Goonies, Planes Trains and Automobiles or Willow. You can count me in.

is Willow streaming on something right now?

I was just a dumb kid when it came out but I remember likely it quite a bit. Mad Mardigan, epic journeys, “magic” dwarfs, evil witches. What’s not to love? I will say I have always been an “epic journey” movie fan. Be it Goonies, Planes Trains and Automobiles or Willow. You can count me in.

Oh I hear you, there were just so many clunkers. It was a tough time to have a vivid imagination because budgets and special effects capabilities were largely just not up to the task. I also had the Marvel comic adaptation, and for both versions I just remember thinking, “Wait, that’s it?” Similar to the Masters of the Universe movie (although not NEARLY as bad) — so much potential, and...that’s it?

Later, as a teen, I tried reading the novelized sequels by George Lucas and Chris Claremont. I think I got through two of them (maybe the third one wasn’t out yet?). That I can’t remember a single thing about them probably says it all.

I don’t know if it’s available anywhere. The thing I really have an itch to track down is Time Bandits. Supposedly that’s being re-adapted as a series somewhere but I haven’t seen any updates about it in a while.

Oh I hear you, there were just so many clunkers. It was a tough time to have a vivid imagination because budgets and special effects capabilities were largely just not up to the task. I also had the Marvel comic adaptation, and for both versions I just remember thinking, “Wait, that’s it?” Similar to the Masters of the Universe movie (although not NEARLY as bad) — so much potential, and...that’s it?

Later, as a teen, I tried reading the novelized sequels by George Lucas and Chris Claremont. I think I got through two of them (maybe the third one wasn’t out yet?). That I can’t remember a single thing about them probably says it all.

I don’t know if it’s available anywhere. The thing I really have an itch to track down is Time Bandits. Supposedly that’s being re-adapted as a series somewhere but I haven’t seen any updates about it in a while.
I was HUGE into He-Man as a small child. The cartoon and the toys. I was a spoiled little shit. I somehow managed to ge both my Mom and Dad to take me to MOTU at the theater when it came out and even as a kid I remember thinking, WTF was that?

Disney +

Time Bandits was on Criterion recently.

I was HUGE into He-Man as a small child. The cartoon and the toys. I was a spoiled little shit. I somehow managed to ge both my Mom and Dad to take me to MOTU at the theater when it came out and even as a kid I remember thinking, WTF was that?
Speaking of properties that only existed to sell toys, you know what’s ripe for a reboot and could be super fuckin’ rad if some of the more racially sensitive components were retooled a bit is BraveStarr, and am I saying that because I still have all of the action figures including the cardboard Fort Kerium playset? Maybe. But it could also just be really a cool property to see handled well and with a more modern sensibility.

1587228769260.jpeg

Speaking of properties that only existed to sell toys, you know what’s ripe for a reboot and could be super fuckin’ rad if some of the more racially sensitive components were retooled a bit is BraveStarr, and am I saying that because I still have all of the action figures including the cardboard Fort Kerium playset? Maybe. But it could also just be really a cool property to see handled well and with a more modern sensibility.

View attachment 42001
These action figures were great lots flying projectiles if I remember correctly, there are a lot of things like this that could be rebooted in fun ways. C.O.P.S., M.A.S.K., Silver Hawks, right off the top of my head (I would have said Thundercats, but I think the Cats Movie this past year showed us that we aren’t quite there yet technology wise to do anthropomorphic cats justice). But Bravestar could be awesome, few things are cooler than cowboys and in outer space.

...Speaking of space cowboys I think a nice TV/Movie adaptation of Fear Agent is long overdue.
A2476F3E-E259-4563-9D14-1381CBAAAB3A.jpeg

View attachment 42001
I still have an episode on this on VHS

Two other things I thought no one else remembered.

Truly, this is home.

edit: TBH I don’t have any memory of Silver Hawks, though.
It was done be the same company that did Thundercats where a team of flying cyborgs flew around on a spaceship and fought something of a Space mafia. There was even a cowboy one and a mute child that communicated via whistling, and of course they all had pet space hawks.

It was done be the same company that did Thundercats where a team of flying cyborgs flew around on a spaceship and fought something of a Space mafia. There was even a cowboy one and a mute child that communicated via whistling, and of course they all had pet space hawks.

Whoa, how did I miss this one?!? Everything about this is straight up my 5 year old alley.

And that moment when they show the cowboy and that guitar solo comes in? Honestly has no right to be as badass as it is.

Back