Movies

Fly Away Home is such a strange movie. It’s 70% lusciously shot family drama and 30% treacly 90s kid movie, in kind of a bad way. I liked it on the balance, but it’s weird how discordant those two facets feel.

A couple of nice Disney+ offerings we watched with the kids that I'd highly recommend are Stargirl and Timmy Failure. If you have kids in the 4th to junior high range, both are pretty fun family watches.
Stargirl was Disney+'s Manic Pixie Girl film. It was fun, but, good lawd, there were some serious plot issues.

Just watched "Dark Waters" with Mark Ruffalo. Really good movie, really enjoyed it. I am gonna start throwing all my frying pans out once I'm finished making myself a tin foil hat though 😂

Just watched The Conversation from 1974, starring Gene Hackman and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Had never heard of it but it came up as a recommended movie on Amz Prime. Hackman's character played sax along to records. His gear caught my eye - interesting angle on the tonearm. The movie was fine; it was very of-its-time.

TheConversation1974.jpg

A couple of weeks back I watched the PBS American Experience on Walt Disney and really enjoyed it. And it had me itching to go back and watch those super early Disney films cause I hadn't seen them since I was a kid. Also it would make me use my Disney+ more. So last weekend we watched Snow White, the first animated film from Disney. On a technical level, there's a lot to like about it. Even sometimes on a storytelling level cause it really stretches scenes out where not a lot is actively happening just to (partly fill the time) and show off their animation skills. That said, it's a thin plot with a rushed, weird ending but I get why it's a landmark in animation.

Yesterday we did Bambi. I barely even remember this movie, so it was almost like watching it for the first time. And I loved it. There are animated sequences in here that are still to this day beautiful. And in terms of just riding on the beauty of animation, telling a small story, and letting scenes play out - Bambi does it better than Snow White. There's an extended sequence of a rain storm. That's it. Just music corresponding to animation of rain - watching animals hiding from it. There's something so pure about it that I like. No animated films make stories like this anymore. The plot of Bambi is barely there, but it almost doesn't matter because you feel for these characters and you can easily get wrapped up in the animation just as an art form.

Miyazaki has sometimes been compared to Disney in how they made movies and I never quite got it until watching these early films. That's where the comparison is, cause in a movie like Kiki's Delivery Service, which I find just a simple delightful film - the plot is so small. It's basically just you watching a young witch live in a small town. That's almost it. Bambi is just you watching a deer grow up sort of. But both can hit you on a enjoyable level with, well, everything I said above.

Now I still prefer Miyazaki overall cause come on. But there's a lot to love about the art of those early Disney films. Haven't watched the problematic ones again yet though, so we'll see what happens when I tackle those. But next up I'm thinking about veering into the bad part of Disney - the pointless direct-to-video sequel territory. I think it's time to watch Bambi 2. I didn't even know this existed until it was recommended after Bambi finished. But it sounds so dumb and useless, I want to see what it's all about.

Just watched The Conversation from 1974, starring Gene Hackman and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Had never heard of it but it came up as a recommended movie on Amz Prime. Hackman's character played sax along to records. His gear caught my eye - interesting angle on the tonearm. The movie was fine; it was very of-its-time.

View attachment 38497

I love this film. There's a fun story about it causing uproar at Cannes too. It won and none of the French viewers got it. The mystery hangs on the emphasis one character gives to the word 'us' and the subtitles didn't convey this well so the French viewers were left wondering what the hell had happened! Glorious period in cinema though, Hollywood's finest hour.

View attachment 38497

I love this film. There's a fun story about it causing uproar at Cannes too. It won and none of the French viewers got it. The mystery hangs on the emphasis one character gives to the word 'us' and the subtitles didn't convey this well so the French viewers were left wondering what the hell had happened! Glorious period in cinema though, Hollywood's finest hour.
Wow, it's a little shocking to me for someone to have never even heard of The Conversation. It's maybe the best representation of a strong vein of paranoia/conspiracy in 70s film, alongside Three Days of the Condor, The Parallax View, All the President's Men, Capricorn One, Klute, Chinatown, and more.

View attachment 38497
Wow, it's a little shocking to me for someone to have never even heard of The Conversation. It's maybe the best representation of a strong vein of paranoia/conspiracy in 70s film, alongside Three Days of the Condor, The Parallax View, All the President's Men, Capricorn One, Klute, Chinatown, and more.
I love this movie; if it's not my #1, it's in the top 5. Fun fact: Walter Murch did both editing and sound editing for this movie, which was/is rare, but I think it's crucial to the movie's success.

Bummer is, there's a restoration coming out this year; it was scheduled at my local repertory theater the first week of April. Not sure if I should just stream it or hope they reschedule once we're allowed back into crowded places.

I love this movie; if it's not my #1, it's in the top 5. Fun fact: Walter Murch did both editing and sound editing for this movie, which was/is rare, but I think it's crucial to the movie's success.

Bummer is, there's a restoration coming out this year; it was scheduled at my local repertory theater the first week of April. Not sure if I should just stream it or hope they reschedule once we're allowed back into crowded places.

Yeah, I was blown away watching it for the first time last year. It is madness that Coppola released this and The Godfather Part II within twelve months of one another.

The soundtrack is fabulous, too.

Back